[NL20-NL50] nl25, sh QQ

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $25.59 (102.4 bb)
      UTG: $26.47 (105.9 bb)
      SB: $27 (108 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $27.64 (110.6 bb)
      BB: $42.72 (170.9 bb)
      MP: $36.91 (147.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q Q
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, BB calls $1.75, CO folds

Flop: ($4.70) 5 Q Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.70) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $3.75, Hero calls $3.75

River: ($12.20) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $11.59, Hero raises to $21.89 and is all-in, BB folds

Results:
      $35.38 pot ($1.76 rake)
      Final Board: 5 Q Q 4 2
      Hero mucked Q Q and won $33.62 ($16.28 net)
      BB mucked and lost (-$17.34 net)

only 90 hands on CO, but seems pretty active and positionally aware so i was 3bet/shipping here. havent really got any stats on BB and was pretty surprised by the call.. generally i would expect JJ/TT or something. with some strong Ax hands like (scared)AK, AQ, AJ, KQs.. maybe? not sure about this.

on the flop obviously i smash it but it also means he can't really have much. for that reason i checked back hoping he'll hit some sort of hand or keep trying to bluff me. my thinking was after 3betting, im probably cbetting this flop with almost all of my air, so when i check back he might put me on some sort of hand maybe JJ, KQ, AQ or something.. so i wasnt sure here. also when he bets small ott i dont think there's much point to raising since he'll probably fold his draws/bluffs. so i just call again. otr i dont think he's bluffing with his sizing so i just have to get it in. strange that he played this way.

how is my thinking in this hand/should i have played it differently?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey DrDunne,

Preflop: Considering that he opened smaller and our 3-bet is only 8 BB (which is not bad) I would expect a fair amount of calls.

Postflop: Can't really ask for a better flop.

Your range is somewhat polarized when you check back. Either a weak hand (made or one you give up with) or a huge monster. He may not even think you check back a Qx hand and just 55/QQ/Q5.

You say that his bet on the turn is really small but in fact it looks like he bets more than 3/4 of the pot. However I'd still call because his range can't be that strong and if he has 55/44 he goes broke anyway.

On the river though I agree with you and I'd just shove there.

His line may look strange but it looks like he was trying to bluff you off a pair/Ax hand since our hand looked weak after the flop check.