[NL2-NL10] NL2 Zoom AQo on Sb donkbet

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      BB: $2.89 (144.5 bb)
      UTG: $1.84 (92 bb)
      MP: $0.92 (46 bb)
      CO: $0.75 (37.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.07, Hero calls $0.06, BB folds

Flop: ($0.16) 7 8 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, BTN calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.36) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, BTN calls $0.24

River: ($0.84) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Results:
      $0.84 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: 7 8 6 5 5
      BTN showed T T and won $0.81 ($0.40 net)
      Hero showed Q A and lost (-$0.41 net)

Villain is unknown.

This is one more hand which I decided to just loosen up and try to play w and being creative.

PF: I try my best not to play OOP w/o initiative which also means I actually fold AQo v any open from any position. I'm a nit in the blinds. Like def Sb to steal - 90, def BB to steal - 85.

So recently, I've decided to loosen up and defend the top of my "usual" folding range v steals. I also know I won't get a hit on the flop very often to make my defend profitable so I needed to formulate a plan when I do defend.

Flop: I started trying the x/r which worked quite frequently but also cost abit if it didn't work and when I x the Turn I see Villain just betting almost 100% of the time to take down the pot.

This time, I tried the donk bet. I actually thought it was a good flop to donk. Villain is full-stack, tried to steal LP and seems reasonable. If I donk on this connected flop it looks strong. And I don't think this flop hits his range. I think he will fold most of the time for it to be profitable.

Turn: I think it's a good card for me to double barrel. Basically, only a 9x or overpair can really continue here.

River: Give up.

Not sure if it's a good play. Sorry for long post btw!
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

What do you think about 3betting here preflop?

As played preflop, in a vacuum donking might be profitable here, but I don't agree with the part where he doesn't hit well here. I think his BU's range hit this board well so I'd just check/fold here.
      Also we must not forget that if we go for a check down here AQ is most likely to be the best hand here.

When we didn't succeed to pick the pot up on the flop, I prefer giving up on the turn.

Checking the river is fine.

Best,
      Plamen
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hi Kyumpa,

I'm not sure if my line of thought is right.

I'm not comfortable playing a 3-bet pot OOP still.

1) I treat Villain as an unknown so I assume he's competent and will not call my 3-bets too loose. When he calls, I think I'm dominated by AK or splitting w AQ. Don't think he will call AJ or worse. Other hands he will call me w probably 77+

2) And at this limits, they don't fold often enough for my c-bet bluff to be profitable. Calling w middle pair etc.

3) If I 3-bet for value vs him and he 4-bets me, it's kinda sucky and I have to fold.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think that the average unknown opponent at NL2 is going to call wide enough to justify a 3bet here with AQ. Also I do agree with that opponents on these limits doesn't tend to fold a lot but hey, who said that we should cbet all of the times?
      We will only cbet on proper boards where we can barrel some turn cards too.
      If he 4bets here I think we have pretty easy decision and it's folding.

Best,
      Plamen