Atoks playing TUNS of poker... (my very own poker blog :D)

• Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey I'm finally doing it lol :D I guess in order to improve ourselves it's the little things like this that contribute to us doing even better in the long run...

So here's a bit about me: I'm from Slovenia (SLOVENIA!!!) 24yo college dropout working as an insurrance agent. I love my work, since I'm at an independant agency where we strive to help and service people in the most complete possible way. Also it gives me lots and lots of free time to play poker :D I started playing about a year ago, play money tables first (man did that suck), moved on to freerolls and books (pretty maintstreem stuff from Sklansky and co.) and slowly started to build up my BR with freerolls. The wonderful day of wining over 50$ came sometime last December so I decided to start playing NL5 cash games (I know it wasn't the limit my BR was ready for but there were no lower limits on that provider).
      Worked my way up to some 600$, changed to another provider (finally got some rake-back) worked up to some 1500$, changed providers again and then made it to about 4500$. Reality or bad play or maybe it was just a downswing hit in late May and it made me lose quite a bit (let's say I was under 1/10 of the previus sum and yes I was moving down levels, tho I should've prolly moved a bit faster :) ).

And that's when I decided something needs to change (shoulda done it sooner but I'm thick about some things :P ). By some coincidence I noticed a PS banner and decided to give it a go. I was reading other poker forums but those were all huge and had a shitload of content (which is a good thing but it still made me scared). PS apealed to me cause of it's simplicity and (seemingly) tight community. But what (or rather who) made a real impression on me was the SSS coaching by Leo258. Now here was for the first time since I was playing poker a genuine feeling that someone actually wants to help me improve and that got me thinking even more (thanks Leo, ur a great coach even if I gave up SSS in the meantime :P ).

So I got my 50$ from PS, SSSed it till I learned a few things (and earned some $$$) and then moved back to my true love, NL SH. Love the tempo, love the amount of different tables and players u get so it's my ambition to do as best as I can at it :) Right now I am playing NL5 on Titan, doing reasonably well (tho I can't give accurate stats, since I obliterated my PT DB cause I couldn't stand the site of how crap I was in it in the pre-PS era :P ) and I'm still waiting for my Elephant license (and here's my first question to the high ups: any way to get it sooner then when I reach 2k points?). I'd get PT3 but it seems a bit of an investment still (don't call me cheap :P ) so yeah... we'll see how that goes.

As I mentioned I'm playing NL5 on Titan and NL30 on Ongame (actually managed to crawl back to almost 1k$). I'm here to learn (what a shocker eh :P ) and try help other improve their game as well (if by no other means, we can talk more about what happened to my 4.5k$ stack, maybe that'll save urs!).

But if I want to define my short term goals I guess they'r getting to NL10 on Titan Asap and to NL50 on Ongame. Oh and figuring out a good hand converter so people can comment on my game... and also read all the content in the strategy section... oh and try to attend more coaching sessions... maybe evaluate other hands some more too... turning out to be quite a list huh :P

Anyways since it's a monster post as it is (let me be excused it is my first blog entry :P ) I'll end it here with a thought that I'm trying to keep in my head a lot whilst prepaing for poker sessions: there's no downswings, only badly played hands! So try play as best u can and may the BBs be in the black with u :D Till next time!
  • 56 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi :)

Elephant has a 30-day trial I think, so you don't need the licence at first...and why do you play on two different levels? Your bankroll accross the sites can be considered as a single roll, so if you can beat NL30, there's no real point in playing NL5 elsewhere.

btw here's a converter, you need to register but it just takes a minute: http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter/

//edit, btw, it's tons ;)
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Well there are 2 reasons why I'm not playing NL30 on Titan as well:
      -not a big enough bankroll
      -not enough confidence to play it over any longer time frame

Basically after I read some of the stuff on the forums and discussed a few things with my friends I realized that I was prolly a bit (modesty is a fine trait huh :P ) of a donk. So I'm only playing NL30 about 30-60 min a day, while I try to play at least 3hrs of NL5 a day. I'm also trying to spend an extra hour analysing the hands and plays I made, so after I'm through a few sticky situations and get some feedback on my game I'll play higher limits more. Hopefully I'll have a big enough stack to play NL25 on Titan by then.

OK the PS Elephant actually has 21days of trial so that's something I guess :) I imported my hands and here's my stats for NL5 so far:
      hands: 6400
      VP$IP: 17
      pFR: 10
      PFA: 4
      WtS: 22

According to the Elephant I'm very tight and rather passive preflop, while I'm very aggressive post flop. It also says I have a normal rate of going to shodwon, but I'd like to think what u, the players think? Should I change my image a bit?

With my current stats tho I am beating my limit at 19,2BB/100h. Hopefully things continue to go this well :D

Any thoughts and comments regarding NL5 play are most welcome, as well as what u think what kind of an image and stats I should have to be successful on this limit?

Also is Elephant considered a good converter or should I use the tool swissmoutmout recommended?

And last but not least, the TUNS word has a special meaning but I'll get into that some other time ;)
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Hey Atoks,

Nice readup! You know, NL10/NL5 really isnt full of sharks, so there isn't any reason why you would call yourself a donk imo. Because most players on these limits only tend to look at their own two holecards, mostly you won't have an image as no-one notices ;) Just keep being tight aggressive and analyse and learn and you will be successful.
      It is very good that you're analysing your play, though I do think you should maybe make a bit of a planning on (re)reading articles and writing down soms subject which you want to find out more about. Searching for this on internet (investigating) really helps your play allot.
      The sample size is too small really to say anything about your stats.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the nice feedback.

Goodluck on your SH-quest and you're always welcome to come back to SSS ;)

Leo
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I'm sure I'll be playing more SSS in the future, my idea is to play it when i'll have a downswing so I can beat it faster :P Didn't notice anyone trying this tactic before but I reckon playing some SSS on a limit which would translate to 100stacks for a month after u start experiencing 85+% losing ratio with strong hands might be a way of living through it easier. Any thoughts on this little theory of mine are most welcome (Same goes for any thoughts really ;) )

Right so what's new... Well I've moved up to NL10 with 15 stacks worth of BR. Thing is I also played SSS on NL10 FR so I'm having a hard time reading the stats. If there's any way to fix this please let me know :) But so far I'm up some 5stacks in 1500 or so hands (and I've experienced some nasty 2 - 6 out suckouts in this period as well :( )

Before u start pointing out poor BRM I have to tell u that NL5 on Titan is very painful due to the fact there aren't many tables at certain times of day (like early morning Euro time when I like to play for a few hours). Rest assured I'll be moving to NL20 with AT LEAST 400$ and not a cent less. This move is just so I can satisfy my poker itch when it comes :) And from what I've seen there are more donks on NL10 anyways.

Currently I'm working on pluging 2 leaks that I've noticed myself:
      a) small and medium pocket pairs on dry boards
      b) AT, AJ, Axs type hands on paired boards with an A on it
      I'm losing quite a few BBs in these situations and any tip on how to prevent this from happening is most welcome! Personally I feel my aggressive play is the main reason for this tho and I'm looking into betting less in these situations. I am looking up material over the internet as well :)

My next post will show 2 interesting hands I had recently and I hope u'll comment on them and my blog in general ;) CYA!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      OK so the hands are taken from Elephant and I'll be posting some stats on the players as well just to make it a more complete experience ;) Here's the first one:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $9,52
      Hero:
      $9,90
      MP3:
      $5,75

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:diamond: , T:spade:
      MP3 calls $0,10, CO calls $0,10, BU folds, SB calls $0,05, Hero raises to $0,70, MP3 calls $0,60, CO folds, SB calls $0,60.

Flop: ($2,20) 9:club: , 3:club: , 5:spade: (3 players)
      SB bets $2,20, Hero raises to $5,50, MP3 raises to $5,05 (All-In), SB raises to $8,80, Hero calls $3,30.

Turn: ($24,85) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,02 (All-In), Hero calls $0,02.

River: ($24,89) T:heart:

Final Pot: $24,89

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, tens (Td Ts)
      SB shows a pair of sevens (7d 7c)
      MP3 shows high card queen with ten kicker (8c 6c)

Hero wins with three of a kind, tens (Td Ts)

So here I was holding the overpair, facing 2 unknowns and before any flop action happened I decided I won't be taking any crap. In retrospective I might've been a bit too gung-ho but all in all it worked out in the end :D

And the 2nd hand:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2,95
      MP3:
      $3,08
      CO:
      $1,77
      BU:
      $3,93

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , A:heart:
      MP3 calls $0,02, CO raises to $0,12, BU calls $0,12, Hero raises to $0,50, BB folds, MP3 calls $0,48, CO calls $0,38, BU calls $0,38.

Flop: ($2,02) 5:spade: , 3:club: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      Hero bets $2,45 (All-In), MP3 calls $2,45, CO folds, BU raises to $3,43 (All-In), MP3 raises to $2,58 (All-In).

Turn: ($10,48) 8:heart:
      River: ($10,48) 6:club:

Final Pot: $10,48

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (As Ah)
      BU shows three of a kind, fours (4c 4h)
      MP3 shows a pair of sixes (Qd 6d)

BU wins with three of a kind, fours (4c 4h)

I realized right after the hand that I underbet it preflop. But I'd expect that even with a bigger bet the BU would've called (unless I'd bet something silly). Who know what MP3 was after, but he sweetned the pot nicely and It'd be great to win it... but yeah AA failed at almost the worst possible time :( Oh well... happens.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      OK so it's been a few days and a few hands (just south of 12k) and I've had quite a few bad beats. Lost monster pockets, TPTK with a nuts flush draw (managed to get it all in on the flop and then the guy hit a set on the river ) and a few sets as well. All in all I was down to 120$ before I decided to take it back to NL5 (made it up to 210$ at one point). Things weren't much better there and pretty soon I was down to 95$ or so. That was on thursday. Since then I managed to turn it around a bit (it started with AA vs. 88, the guy hits a set on the flop I make mine on the river :D ).

I'm now again happily grinding the day away with the BR at 125$ ATM. I've noticed my pocket pair hand play has improved as well. I realized I'm a much more rational player when I'm on a negative growth. Need to figure a way to always play more correct to the math and always include the discounted odds. So that's what I'm working on atm :) Oh and the AJ, AT, Axs thing as well. Didn't have many such situations recently tho so theory is all I'm working with right now.

On NL30 Ongame I was playing mediocre poker at best. Made a few shitty calls, but managed to win what I lost back and I'm actually showing a profit of 1BB/100 over the past 6k hands. Need to start giving ppl more credit on that level. BR at 990$ there, figure I'll move to NL50 at 1200$.

So that's it for now. Hope I got better news for u guys next time :) Take care and good luck to y'all!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      OK so here's my first graph, after I've played over 35k hands. On this graf u can see all the limits I have played (NL0.01/0.02$, NL0,02/0,04$ and NL0,05/0,1$). Time scale is a month and a half. Any comments on it or any suggestions on where I could make more grafs are most welcome :)
      http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l329/Ratoks/?action=view&current=pokergraf.png

Hope it works, if there's a way to post images I still didn't figure it out lol.
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      OK so here's my first graph, after I've played over 35k hands. On this graf u can see all the limits I have played (NL0.01/0.02$, NL0,02/0,04$ and NL0,05/0,1$). Time scale is a month and a half. Any comments on it or any suggestions on where I could make more grafs are most welcome :)
      http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l329/Ratoks/?action=view&current=pokergraf.png

Hope it works, if there's a way to post images I still didn't figure it out lol.
      Hi Atoks, nice reading. I've reposted your image for you with the (img) (/img) tags. Try quoting a reply with the photo code to see it.

I see you're not reliant on good luck, so I wish you good play instead!

• CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hey, another thread from Slovene guy. Nice :)
      It was a good read, keep em coming :)
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for the positive comments :) I feel the pressure already lol. Also it motivates me to try and play better so please, drop in some more comments :) Good and bad, all are welcome ;)

Mixed news this time tho. Weekend was great. On titan I got over 30$ of bonus, which made my BR jump to almost 165$. Some good play and suckouts (hit set with my AA twice after the other guys flopped their set, also hit my kicker on the turn a couple of times...) I made it back up to over 200$. So I'm back at NL10 again but I'm still facing a wall there. TPTKs aren't doing it for me, two pairs face straights almost every time and whenever I do get a hand ppl just don't pay my contibets (as opposed to when I don't hit a flop when I get instaraised).It's like everyone is just waiting to set a trap for the opponent and to be honest, NL10 on Titan feels a lot harder then NL30 on Ongame. But that's one of the things that drive me forward too. Right now my BR stands at just over 190$. I set the drop level bar to 160$, but I really hope I don't have to drop down, cause the rake back on this level is already reasonably nice and it's doing wonders for my BR. Gonna stick to ABC poker, hopefully I'll scale the wall soon :D

Haven't played much on Ongame tho, a few hundred games only, so BR didn't change much as it stands at a little over 1090$. I need to read a few more articles and visit some more coachings before I go NL50. Trying to attend more coachings and read more stuff on varius issues I've been having (still don't like my pocket pair game).

I guess I need to work on my goals a bit more (didn't post that many hands on the forum recently and didn't comment either... just reading what's being posted) and I also want to find out more about Titan. Are there weaker players on higher limits (say NL50 and onward) at all? I'm hoping what I'm exdperiencing on NL10 is just temporary and that the players are worse higher up... otherwise I'll just have to find a weaker site... we'll see...

That's it for now, may the good cards be with u! :) Cya!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Just a quick update: NL10 isn't working out. Too many people sucked out on me. Losing pots left right and centre, 90% of which was due to hits after the flop (most of the times we were already all in). Going to go to bed now and play NL5 till I get to 220$. If bad beats continue then I'll drop down at 175$ and wait till I have 250$ to play NL10 again. Shit happens but it doesn't happen for long... patience and discipline... that's what I'm trying to remember just now. Oh and BR on Titan is at 152.60$ ... cya in a few days.
    • mesorucky
      mesorucky
      Bronze
      Atoks, Titan NL10 is extremely hard ! Its up to you to keep fighting and see if you can beat it! Many players here have skipped it for many reasons Im sure if you check out the forums more you'll find more info on this! But yes i had a 10BI down swing basically same thing as you described had all my big SS hands destroyed! Im clawing back now but yeah I've checked out NL20 on titan and NL10 on stars definately better options for your roll.

By the way your graph looks awesome :) Keep it up
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Just one question. Why do you have split BRs on two sites? Why aren't you playing just on one site with bigger BR?
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey guys guess who is gold :D Feels nice, I like the gold colour a lot more then I do the silver one so I recommend everyone gets it for themselves ;) U'll like the home page a whole lot better for it ;)

Didn't play much poker recently tho, GF has her birthday just now and I'm just taking the time in between of doing stuff with her to look up on theory mostly. I have to say that after reading almost all of the articles things are SO INCREDIBLY clearer to me that it's not even funny lol. To anyone who hasn't done so yet: TAKE THE TIME AND READ THE STRATEGY CONTENT!! Even if it seems like a tedius and boring effort, once u'll start using the concepts and ideas in practice u are bound to save and earn a whole bundle of cash more. But I'm sure most of u have already done so already so good on u guys, let's hope we get more eh? :D For me it's on to the gold articles now, can't wait, wipeee :D

@mesorucky: Wow thanks for posting that, made me think about my whole NL10 experience even more. It was obvius it's not ur average micro limit play by a long shot. But now after reading what u wrote about it I'm going to think about wether it will be extra motivation for me to try and succeed at NL10 even more, or to take the line of minimum resistance and either play NL5 or SSS on NL25 till I get the BR for NL20 BSS. Would be nice to get some comments on this issue...

@CoreySteel: I actually had a much bigger BR on Ongame but due to a lack of knowledge I wasted a huge part of it. I am not using a single BR (yet) because I want to learn some more about playing wining poker and because I'm not entirely decided yet where I will play medium stakes poker at. So there is no real point in merging my funds just now :)

Oh and wisdom of the day: Do not under ANY circumstance eat corn products and peanuts in a single day. U will regret it the instant u go for a twozie... just trust me on this one... and don't ask why...

Cya next time, may the suckouts be with u :P
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey all!

Had a lazy weekend pokerwise, GF having BDay meant doing a lot of stuff with her, all in all was an awesome weekend (canyoning, adrenaline park, eating out quite a bit more then usual, ...). I managed to clock in 3k hands from my last post so not much happened. Titan BR stands at 181$ and Onagame is still at 1099$.

So instead I've decided to post some of my stats and hope to get feedback on those. In just under 30k hands on NL5 my stats are such:

VPIP: 17
      PFR: 11
      PFA: 4,1
      WTS: 22
      BB/100: 14,5

How do u guys see these stats? Should I be more aggressive preflop? Also how would u change the stats (if at all) in comparison to NL10 (Titan poker)?

I'd really like for some input from as many people as possible as I really want to beat NL10 on Titan. It's gnawing at me so hard and I'm determined to bring the best it takes to beat it. So this is my #1 goal just now: To beat NL10 on Titan poker. I'm sure I'll get a lot of helpful tips and comments from everyone, so please, help me reach my goal :)

Thanks and talk to u soon :)

EDIT: For anyone that might not be sure, I'm interested in comments regarding SH play :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      As SSS'er I see VPIP 17 as somehow loose. so I tend to reraise you more and stuff. But that's just my 2 cents :)
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Your VPIP is ok for TAG SH play, u can loosen up onces u are used to it and are better postflop but for now that's ok...

Your PFR is a bit low though, u limp too many hands... If u come into a pot u either raise or fold (or call raises with pocketpairs for set value and call suited connectors in position for implied odds)

Postflop aggresion is ok
      Went to showdown is a little low but since ur BB/100 is so good I won't bother too much about that
    • mesorucky
      mesorucky
      Bronze
      Yah if your solely SSS that VP is more than i've ever had at my worst i went from 11VP to 4.5 now :)

Um yeah Im going to backup what i've said I've been smashing NL20 Titan SSS enjoying it :) More chips to play ur hands and yeah the villains seem different from NL10 just me 2c.

I also did abit of NL5 BSS on Titan today holy hell that was fun +2.5BI later I had to walk away was shaking hahaha! Love poker! My -$50 downswing last month is all but $-5 off original roll, Adding all my rakebakes i think im in the black!

As for me Corey with 2 BR, I got my main titan one which i added $120AUD too so i could test NL20, my girl got a stars account and she is playing NL10 which is completely different to titan NL10, the play it stars is absoultely terrible i love it!! Been making a killing on NL10 and NL20 on stars haha she's abit LAG so she's been loosing it and I make it back for her! hopefully she'll listen and start sticking to the SSS SHC soon :( sigh! I was going to move my BR completely to stars but i've found NL20 alot nicer so as long as i pick my times to play on titan its okay. most often than not titan is terrible for australian timezone (daytime) its a good site.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Well for SH I also felt myself a bit too tight and that my PFR was too low. But looking back there were just so many situations where I could limp small SCs in late position vs. several early and middle limpers that I just felt I should take em. (EDIT) Also 99,9% of the time I never limp my strong hands either, I seriously try to avoid that. On the other hand I'm not really sure on loosening up just yet to be honest. I really need to get a good feel for NL10 first. Also I didn't play any other game then NL SH for over a month now so those stats are pure SH.

OK so been playing some more NL5 these days, really trying to grind it up so I reach the designated 220$ BR. I'm actually thinking of setting the BR limit a bit higher to be honest. I don't want to drop down again and better to build a bit bigger roll then to continue hoping back and forth.

Right now my Titan BR stands at just over 200$, didn't play on Ongame at all recently. Apart from that I'm sharpening up my game and getting ready for some very active 4 table NL10 action. I'll prolly play NL5 till the next bonus comes in and then see where I stand in terms of BR. I'm sure I'll be at way over 220$, some very bad players started to turn up on NL5 Titan :)

Cya next time, gl to all of ya ;)