[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH JJ overpair vs aggression

• NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $19.90 (99.5 bb)
      CO: $33.87 (169.3 bb)
      BTN: $24.37 (121.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $20 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J J
      CO calls $0.20, BTN folds, Hero raises to $1.20, BB calls $1, CO calls $1

Flop: ($3.60) 4 3 8 (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BB folds, CO raises to $5, Hero calls $2.50

Turn: ($13.60) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $13.60, Hero calls $13.60

Villain 45/10, 6.5AF (40h) - no reads, looks like an aggro fish

Flop: Should I only call? If I raise, do I get paid by anything worse?

Turn: I check to let him bet in case he was bluffing (high agg), when he bets pot I am inclined to call since in my mind most players with monster hands would bet smaller here to get calls.

Should I just fold turn even though his play looks suspicious and just wait for a better spot? Was my flop play ok?

Ty
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Nightshade,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Against an aggro fish we can let him take the initiative and we just bluff catch.

Depending on what we've seen from him I would most likely not fold to his turn bet (once we call flop).

Have you seen him do anything on those 40h (or bet sizing)?
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      hey Bogdan, ty for the feedback

I was playing quite a few tables so I didn't see something out of the ordinary from him...

On the flop, I lead because I am OOP and didn't want to risk seeing cards that made the board worse vs 2 opponents. Should I just c/c?

Oh so you would be inclined to call the turn also, I was thinking it was a big mistake at the time.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by NightShadePMC
      hey Bogdan, ty for the feedback

I was playing quite a few tables so I didn't see something out of the ordinary from him...

On the flop, I lead because I am OOP and didn't want to risk seeing cards that made the board worse vs 2 opponents. Should I just c/c?

Oh so you would be inclined to call the turn also, I was thinking it was a big mistake at the time.
      Well, why do we call the flop if we plan to fold a blank turn (against an aggro fish)?

Since we are under the assumption that he is aggro we can also assume that he will followup with another bet on turn and/or river. With that being said we call the flop to call down or just fold there (no point in putting more money if we are just folding turn).