[NL2-NL10] NL10 - Trip Aces

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      In this hand Pre-flop I wasn't sure I wanted to shove with AK when faced with a small 4-bet. For the odds its ok to call IP, or just asking for trouble?

As played, on the flop I knew that I had him crushed, only hand that was a 'slight' concern is if he had AK so I *only* get to split.

I'm putting him on some random bluff SC's (unlikely), JJ+, AQ+.

My thinking was that he won't have much more than 10% equity to improve with all of his hands, hence the slowplay.

The river was pretty sick, I think I called as I looked at my hand really. I hated it as the Q hit his range really well, really it was the only card in the deck I didn't want - Should I have just made the cyring hero-fold?

Seat 1: Hero ( $13.57 USD ) - VPIP: 31, PFR: 25, 3B: 7, AF: 2.7, Hands: 25674
      Seat 5: Player5 ( $10.83 USD ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 25, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 4

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $13.57 (135.7 bb)
      SB: $3.66 (36.6 bb)
      BB: $15.86 (158.6 bb)
      UTG: $20.17 (201.7 bb)
      MP: $10.83 (108.3 bb)
      CO: $14.04 (140.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.70, 2 folds, MP raises to $1.40, Hero calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.95) A 9 A (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.95) 4 (2 players)
      MP bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($4.95) Q (2 players)
      MP bets $3.10, Hero calls $3.10

Results:
      $11.15 pot ($0.50 rake)
      Final Board: A 9 A 4 Q
      Hero mucked K A and lost (-$5.50 net)
      MP showed Q Q and won $10.65 ($5.15 net)
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Phil,

First question: Why did we 3-bet to only 7 BB?
      Considering we 3-bet so small we could be inducing 4-bet bluffs there and since we don't know how he plays postflop I'd just ship it preflop.

As played why do we only call the turn bet? Since we slowplayed our hand and he underbet turn I think he can bet/call pairs here thinking you are bluffing.

So I'd raise small.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I sometimes 3-bet smaller when IP to get more loose calls against hands that I can value-bet post flop.

Typically its just 3 times the raise, not a general rule, but I happened to do it in this hand.

My plan was to raise on the river small (assuming he bets again), or put in a small value bet then. I figured it was the best way for me to get paid against his range (not many Aces possible!) as a raise will usually ring alarm bells for the opponent?

Anyway, as played call the river?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      I sometimes 3-bet smaller when IP to get more loose calls against hands that I can value-bet post flop.

Typically its just 3 times the raise, not a general rule, but I happened to do it in this hand.

My plan was to raise on the river small (assuming he bets again), or put in a small value bet then. I figured it was the best way for me to get paid against his range (not many Aces possible!) as a raise will usually ring alarm bells for the opponent?

Anyway, as played call the river?
      Does that mean that we are also bluffing for smaller amount or are you expending your value range preflop and remove bluffs?

I don't mind to deviate from the standard game of 3x however we want to do that when we have a reason to (for example we have history with villain).

What do you think he will do on the turn if you put in a small raise with the hands that would pay a small raise on the river? I doubt he'd ever fold and then you have a river bet.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      My 3 bet range is something that will vary by position and opponent, but typically its something like:

Value: JJ+, AQ+, KQs, AJs.

Bluffs: Suited connectors, and some small PP's

(My 3-bet % is 7%, so I think that means its a farly even split between the two types of hand)

I will pretty much always put in a 3* raise with the bluffs, but I guess not always with the value part of my range. Maybe thats not a very sensible idea!?

I agree on the turn / river question. As long as we discount random bluffs from his range its going to be better to raise small on the turn, it gives us a better chance of getting more value as its a bit unlikely he will want to value bet this river again, or turn his hand into a bluff.

PS. Should I have folded on the river as played - May not seem too important but I had a disaster session and want to see how much of it was due to play that could be improved and how much was the luck of the draw (you name it went wrong!).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Bet sizing tells are the easiest to pick on however it will take a fair bit of sampling for people to see that.

The smaller raises tend to get called more often but also to induce more which against an unknown isn't great.

Considering how passive we played our hand villain can try to bluff us on the river or even valuebet a worse Ax. So I wouldn't fold.