Rich552

• 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Richard,

Welcome to the course.

Please let us know if you have any questions or problems.

There is a beginner coaching tomorrow. To find more information please go here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/178007/

Best of luck at the tables.

Bogdan
    • Rich552
      Rich552
      Silver
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I missed the coaching session yesterday however I will make sure I make the one next Sunday (6th Jan).

Will be posting the homework questions within the next day or two.

Thanks again.

Rich552

Homework Questions;

1. Motivation for Playing

My initial interest for poker originated in the recreational aspect of the game, that is to say I merely wanted to play for fun. Of late however I have substantially more time on my hands and have now begun playing for money with the hope of being able to gain a sustainable income from poker. I would admittedly love to become a professional but recognize my own short cumming's in relation to my game, which is sub-standard to say the least. My best income to date has been in tourneys in which I finished a respectable 3rd place in a $500 freeroll netting $55 in prizemoney. And then a week later I finished 7th in a $5k freeroll netting $150. I would like to iron out my leaks in the cash games and drastically improve my performance at the final tables in tourneys.

2. Weaknesses

My game has many weaknesses which include a failure to capitalize on weak or passive opponents, Calling with too many hands that I should muck, Lack of empathy which hinders the progression of my post flop game (I fail to think 'how would I react to x bet' or 'what hand would make me able to call with these pot odds' etc).
      Also I have identified in myself a sort of stubbornness and inability to fold premium hands for example AKs or even AA (and Nut flushes against Full Houses), this has been costly to me and is a priority to fix and also ties into the above.
      Pre-planning of which bet lines I want to take depending of various post flop factors to maximize value while minimizing risk to hand.
      I tend to go to showdown too much, I have lost when I really should have won, for example I flopped the nut flush, check flop, call turn, call all in river only to loose to full house. ( i think I should of 3 - bet turn, that said I also wasn't paying attention to opponent and just focusing on my hand which Is a fault in my game also.)
      General post flop game needs work, I struggle to know how to play when a c-bet is called, especially by LAGS or aggressive players who 3-bet alot.
      Re-Stealing very little and I also need to work on my overall table awareness including position in relation to opponents.
      I am sure there are many others which could be added to this list although I hope that I have identified the most obvious leaks in my game.

3. What does it mean to play 'tight aggressive'

In my opinion and those of whom's opinions I have read while reading the strategy contained within this site playing TAG means you play a very 'tight' range and the hands that you carefully select to play are played very 'aggressively' hence the name Tight Aggressive Strategy.

I Hope the answers were all correct the second question in particular helped me analyze some of my major leaks. Any feedback you could give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich552
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Rich552
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I missed the coaching session yesterday however I will make sure I make the one next Sunday (6th Jan).

Will be posting the homework questions within the next day or two.

Thanks again.

Rich552

Homework Questions;

1. Motivation for Playing

My initial interest for poker originated in the recreational aspect of the game, that is to say I merely wanted to play for fun. Of late however I have substantially more time on my hands and have now begun playing for money with the hope of being able to gain a sustainable income from poker. I would admittedly love to become a professional but recognize my own short cumming's in relation to my game, which is sub-standard to say the least. My best income to date has been in tourneys in which I finished a respectable 3rd place in a $500 freeroll netting $55 in prizemoney. And then a week later I finished 7th in a $5k freeroll netting $150. I would like to iron out my leaks in the cash games and drastically improve my performance at the final tables in tourneys.

Congrats on your tournament results.

I recommend that you start setting your goals and then break them down in smaller pieces.

Look at where you want to be in 1-2-3 years and see what needs to happen to get there.

For example if I said I wanted to buy a Porsche next year I would need to know how I come up with the money for it, the insurance, gas, etc. I would then split these up in smaller goals and see how much $ I have to save/make to get there.

[quote]

2. Weaknesses

My game has many weaknesses which include a failure to capitalize on weak or passive opponents, Calling with too many hands that I should muck, Lack of empathy which hinders the progression of my post flop game (I fail to think 'how would I react to x bet' or 'what hand would make me able to call with these pot odds' etc).
      Also I have identified in myself a sort of stubbornness and inability to fold premium hands for example AKs or even AA (and Nut flushes against Full Houses), this has been costly to me and is a priority to fix and also ties into the above.
      Pre-planning of which bet lines I want to take depending of various post flop factors to maximize value while minimizing risk to hand.
      I tend to go to showdown too much, I have lost when I really should have won, for example I flopped the nut flush, check flop, call turn, call all in river only to loose to full house. ( i think I should of 3 - bet turn, that said I also wasn't paying attention to opponent and just focusing on my hand which Is a fault in my game also.)
      General post flop game needs work, I struggle to know how to play when a c-bet is called, especially by LAGS or aggressive players who 3-bet alot.
      Re-Stealing very little and I also need to work on my overall table awareness including position in relation to opponents.
      I am sure there are many others which could be added to this list although I hope that I have identified the most obvious leaks in my game.

[quote]

You are way ahead of your competition here. You identified a LOT of your leaks and are one step ahead. Now you need to make a plan on how you are going to fix all of them.

Remember that fixing all at once is impossible so try to group them together and prioritize.

For example start preflop and then move your way up the streets.

A lot of the items you listed there have to do with hand reading and to some degree experience at the tables.

You can improve both of these by playing and by studying your game (posting hands on the forums, watching videos, attending coachings, etc.)

3. What does it mean to play 'tight aggressive'

In my opinion and those of whom's opinions I have read while reading the strategy contained within this site playing TAG means you play a very 'tight' range and the hands that you carefully select to play are played very 'aggressively' hence the name Tight Aggressive Strategy.

I Hope the answers were all correct the second question in particular helped me analyze some of my major leaks. Any feedback you could give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich552
      You got this right on.

I wish you the best of luck at the tables and keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,

Bogdan

PS: see you at the coachings and on the evaluation forums.