Can I improve without the use of stats?

• deving42
      deving42
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I'm currently playing at PartyPoker, and so far my BR is at 45$ after about a month of playing mostly SSS at the 0.05/0.10 NL and some SnG's for 1$. I have never been up to more then 58$ since I began. I'm using a mac so I really don't have the ability to use the software. Is the software that important in helping me to improve my game? I've read all of the articles in the Basic and Bronze section in both NL and SnG. I'm pretty confident in what I've read so far, I believe I've understood these articles to about 95% after having read through them a few times.
      I see that some people have managed to increase their bankroll a lot in a short time, and I'm still sitting within 10$ of the starting capital.
      I watch the live tutorials when I can catch them and I've watched 2-3 videos on each type of play so far. I haven't improved my game as much as I would have liked.
      Is the software really helpful in helping me to improve my game? What can I do since there is no way to use this software on my mac. I want to improve my game but I'm not able to analyze my hands and how I've played them. Any advice on how I can improve more without the use of the software?

Thanks.
  • 9 replies
    • ccookie
      ccookie
      Bronze
      Software definitely helps with your results even on microlimits. I used software from the beginning (had money for it), and I know it makes a difference. My feeling SnG is the game that's least affected by lack of software.

I played some SnG's w/o software, up to $6.5 SnGs on Stars, and my winrate seems to be about the same as with software. So I'd do SnG in your situation, assuming you can find a PC for a few hours to practice SnG decisions using ICM software from pokerstrategy.

In cash games, you can still play w/o software, though probably less tables than otherwise. If your goal is learning, then making notes and paying attention is maybe even more beneficial than playing more hands.

But software does help with learning by making your games easier to analyze afterwards. Easy to access hand history, statistics, etc.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I don't think software is really important in the micro limits. I have never used them and I am playing the $ 11 SNG now. think you should play the micro limits SNG's on partypoker the rake is way too high. SSS needs a lot of patience, selfdissipline in folliwing the strategy by the letter and no tilting. Do this and the winning will come in time.
    • jockye
      jockye
      Bronze
      To beat the micro limits you can rely on only basic pokerknowledge which you can learn from the basic and bronze section.

I think that you absolutely shouldn't play with stats even if you could. I think you need to focus on the basic play before even considering tracker programs.

If you can´t beat the micro limit without stats you will not do it with stats.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      I agree, my progress through the micros(both SSS and BSS, and I've played a lot on NL10-15-25 as I withdrew quite an amount from my winnings) was without any kind of software and it was OK. I installed pokertracker just in the beginning of June.

Especially for SSS, software isn't that essential. Once you reach 200$ and start it off with BSS on NL10, then you may consider using software. But for now, no need to spend bucks on that.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      there are two possible cases:

a) you haven't played enough to start releasing the $100 bonus yet,
      in which case you haven't played much yet, making a breakeven period like the one you are experiencing normal

b) you have released the $100 bonus, in which case you have lost $100, and there is probably something wrong, be it frequent tilt or bad strategy
    • deving42
      deving42
      Bronze
      I haven`t released the 100$ bonus yet, I`m still working on getting to 300 points to get the starting capital. I`m around 150 points.
      I don`t get to play too often because I`m very busy with 2 jobs.
      So my bankroll hasn`t really moved since I started.
    • deving42
      deving42
      Bronze
      I was just wondering, are you guys suggesting that it would be better if I only play 1 table at a time so I can get table image and other information on players at my table? I find it incredibly boring playing SSS with just 1 table.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Oh you must have hell of a nerve to play SSS on one table. Start with at least 4, don't worry it won't be that difficult to follow them since you play 5-6% of the hands according to the SSS chart. Eventually, you may increase the number, as long as you feel comfortable.

But just one table is a torture :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by deving42
      I haven`t released the 100$ bonus yet, I`m still working on getting to 300 points to get the starting capital. I`m around 150 points.
      see my post.