[NL20-NL50] NL25SH KJ 3Bpot TP on paired board facing raise.

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $55.29
      BB: $23.90
      UTG: $18.21
      CO: $30.47
      BTN: $65.86

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is SB with K :heart: J :spade:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.30, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.55

Flop: ($4.85) J :diamond: 4 :heart: 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BTN raises to $6.50, Hero calls $3.50

Turn: ($17.85) 6 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $10.75, Hero calls $10.75

River: ($39.35) A :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $37.25, Hero folds

Villain is 37/28 on 144 hands, 7/10 BU steal 5/5 call vs 3bet, 77% SB steal (13) and 33% CO steal (12)

Postflop agg% by street is 40 30 30, with 20%(10) raise vs cbet.

I feel so disinclined to believe him on flop (and turn) and then i'm not sure, but it feels a little like river smacks a decent portion of his bluffing range and may make it less likely for him to bluff as apart from Overpairs and TP, my other bluffcatching hands are AK and AQ, maybe even AT.
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think you played it fine.. You are deep so he has 44 in his range, probably a few more 4x as well. Something to take into account.

On the flop he can most definitely raise worse while you 3betting is not that great. I could be convinced otherwise by more experienced deep stack players. Winning the pot now/realizing our equity might be worth a thin value 3bet on the flop even this deep. Eventually, we could prob turn our hand into a bluff when it runs out another 2 broadways, since you have JJ and all other overpairs in your range. This is just what I'm thinking while writing so don't take it as the exact way of playing.

The standard play is probably to call flop and call down on most blanks depending on sizing as well. On the river he can obviously have a flush, quads, 66 and not impossible to be able to read the situation well enough and vbet Ax of hearts that he raised on flop like this (you have Jx, QQ, KK so often here and left with one AA combo if he has TP on river).

What I do vs people that don't like folding to cbets is either a) not 3bet preflop so deep since I get called about 100% of the time and don't play well posy or b) don't cbet/turn my hand into a bluffcatcher. I don't bluff cbet here often anyway, my hand will probably be worth 2 streets of value most often, checking flop lets me acheive that more often than betting.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Firstly thanks, secondly I have a small question;

This particular villain is making it clear to me through his lack of folds vs 3bets and his lack of folds vs cbets that I need to expand my value range and remove my 3bet bluff hands vs him. I would say my widened 3bet value range versus him would look like this;

99+ (i'm uncomfortable playing smaller PP's) ATs+ AJo+ KTs+ KJo+ QJs.

Its possible I may even think of making it wider to include all broad-ways, depends on feel ingame and how likely I think He is to bluffcatch/calldown K7o etc.

What are your thoughts on this range and how would you play these hands postflop?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Once he almost never believes your 3bets and calls down really weak I would 3bet just about any hand that I want to play, maybe not the small pairs because of their small equity/playability. Any other suited semi-connected hand has good equity post against a wide and capped defending range (I assume he still 4bets his premiums) so instead of just depolarizing but still having a very defined range, I would depolarize but expand that value range to really thin hands such as 89s for value with the thinking 'he calls so much worse and weaker hands, I can either bluff or still have enough equity to play back at him in the long run'.

The benefit of this is that you are very hard to read.. If you clearly 3bet only broadways it's easy to push you off boards that are 9 high. If you have an undefined 3betting range containing all types of hands, you can hit any board and basically play back in any given situation.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Interesting point. It'l be interesting how 4bet game then develops afterwards :D Thanks for answering my question!