[NL2-NL10] [NL2 SH] 66 value 3bet?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 2055003
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $3.03 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 20, 3B: 3, AF: 0.9, Hands: 100
      CO: $8.31 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 18, 3B: 11, AF: 2.3, Hands: 131
      BTN: $1.65 - VPIP: 28, PFR: 11, 3B: 8, AF: 5.0, Hands: 131 -- BU RFI: 50, F3B: 33
      SB: $1.65 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 3.0, Hands: 103
      Hero (BB): $2.83 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 20, 3B: 8, AF: 4.2, Hands: 15243

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 6 :club: 6 :heart:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.08, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.25, BTN raises to $1.65, 1 fold

Considering his RFI and fold to 3B, I though that I have a thin value here :f_biggrin:

However now I'm mot sure...it's ridiculous. If I had at least 88, then yes.

Why I didn't snap call and started thinking about a 3bet is because I think that we're not going to be paid off all that often if we just play for set value. 3B sixes is a bit to much though, no?

How do you handle small pockets (22-99) vs. wide open ranges? What can we 3bet, what call, and do we fold anything?

Thanks.
  • 6 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Since he seems aggro we may still have implied odds from him trying to barrel us or valuebetting thin.

Now considering your play how can we expect a pair like 66 to be a 3-bet for value when any 2 overcards flip against us?
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi German,

Since he seems aggro we may still have implied odds from him trying to barrel us or valuebetting thin.

Now considering your play how can we expect a pair like 66 to be a 3-bet for value when any 2 overcards flip against us?
      :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: A very good question.

So we 3bet for value only pockets like JJ/TT when we expect a lot of Tx/9x or worse to call? That makes sense. I just heard many times about a so-called "set-mining" leak on SH in late positions, but no one really explained what to do if we cannot call.

So we sorted raising and calling. What about folding? Do we fold pockets preflop if he's loose passive? Like stealing wide but not going beyond a CB without a good hand. I would fold like 22-77 and still call 88-TT. With 88+ at least we have some chances of having an overpair on the flop.

However, I don't think I saw a lot of loose-passive players who steal wide :f_rolleyes: So we never fold pockets preflop to a 2bet?

TY
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      There is my suggestion which can be of course wrong :f_cool: :f_cool: .

If you feel uncomfortable with playing some hands then you can simply fold them. If you find yourself not secure enough in your small pocket pairs then you can simply fold them.

You can make 3bet bluff with any card profitably fi you find a right spot to do it. We have just little stats on villain but we assume he don't want to fold to 3bets so we will probably have problems playing postflop OOP. If we just call we will probably face same problem. :f_cool: :f_cool:

I think you can simply fold with every hand you don't feel comfortable to play with. So folding small pocket pair OOP without proper plan is from my side not a mistake.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Alan,

Your suggestion is tight, which is never wrong :f_cool: :f_cool:

I think I'm okay with postflop play overall on NL2, especially with straightforward hands like small pocket pairs. HEM tells me that on average I earn a lot with these hands (I lose only with 55 for some reason :f_biggrin: ). Another good thing about a call is that I flat high broadway type of hands sometimes, so my set will be often hard to read.

Actually, your post made me think...if I will play all pockets IP, but OOP only when I have very good implieds, I should earn even more. IP we can take the pot unimproved, but more importantly, we'll extract more value.

Does it sound like a good plan? Not playing pockets for set value OOP with marginal implieds.

PS: I looked at my 55, it's all good as well :f_cool: The problem is that I've hit a set only 3 times out of 50 flops I saw. Plus one absolutely sick hand which could not have been played by me...I stacked there with a 3rd pair :f_biggrin:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Big problem of actiong OOP vs one player is that even when we hit our set it is very difficult to extract enough value.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      The most common problem people have with playing small pockets OOP is that they just set mine and they are afraid to try and take (some) pots away from villain.

I'm not saying we should all of a sudden start bluffing because that would be bad (small pockets don't have a ton of equity postflop like backdoors).

However, if you have a guy, like in your example, that gives up a lot after one cbet one could float to get to showdown or make the opponent fold a better hand later on.

Of course if you are not comfortable with this then simply folding them preflop won't be the end of the world.

Folding has an EV of 0. So if we can't see 3-bet or call to be more than 0 then we should just fold.