This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 JJ vs maniac

• Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $13.32 (266.4 bb)
      BTN: $5.80 (116 bb)
      Hero (SB): $8.18 (163.6 bb)
      BB: $3.13 (62.6 bb)
      MP: $4.24 (84.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J J
      MP raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, MP calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) 8 A 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, MP calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.35) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.35, MP raises to $3.09 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.74

River: ($8.53) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $8.53 pot ($0.35 rake)
      Final Board: 8 A 4 2 7
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$4.24 net)
      MP showed Q Q and won $8.18 ($3.94 net)

52/42/30 Fold23bet: 1/4 AF:4.5 WTSD 19, fold2cbet 60% (3/5).

I admit i was on a little bit of tilt when this hand happened, because of similar hands like this: i flop medium strenght hands, and i have to play for huge pots because he is so aggressive. So far i have folded some pots to him, now i just decided on the flop that im ahead of his range.

I was bet/folding on the flop thought, but i cant bet/fold (at least i think) on the turn, so between check/fold or bet/call, i decided that the second is better.
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop 3betting is good and against this guy I'd go for $0.55-$0.6.

Flop is pretty bad since the A hits his range quite well.
      Considering that he is folding a lot to cbets and he doesn't seem to fold a lot against 3bets, I think we can profitably cbet here.

Once he calls the flop though, I'd just give up and check/fold the turn.
      I think bet/calling is pretty much overplaying of our hand.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      If we check/fold on the turn, we are hoping that he will check back his worse hands, right? But what is our plan to the river? Check/call on non-heart rivercards (if he bets under 3/4 pot maybe? or on what betsize?), or check/fold on any river?

Cause if the plan on check/folding both on the turn and river, then we might just give it up at the flop, cause we will never get to showdown vs worse...
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Yeah, he might be happy to just check down his weaker hands so we will probably win the SD against them.

If the turn goes check-check we could consider betting something like 1/4-1/3 on the river or check/fold since I don't want to call a bet here.

Overall the plan for betting the flop is to take the pot right there, which means that we are turning our hand into bluff, but then I think we will have enough fold equity to justify this move.