[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH 99 defend

• NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $19.53 (97.7 bb)
      CO: $17.40 (87 bb)
      BTN: $20.36 (101.8 bb)
      SB: $6.58 (32.9 bb)
      Hero (BB): $24.20 (121 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 9
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.60, SB folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) J 7 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.60) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($2.60) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.30, Hero ?

Villain is 24/16, 8AF in 59h, the big VPIP/PFR gap tells me he might be weak

Flop: I let him bluff at it, since he is aggro

Turn: I plan on c/c again, but he checks back

River: The K comes, he bets 1/2 pot again.. I really don't know if I should call here again, I am thinking he might try to bluff at it since it is a scarecard and I checked turn and river, but also it could be in his range.

Should I call here? Why? Why not? I am asking because this is a spot I am quite uncomfortable in
  • 2 replies
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      id fold the river, your line seems like a Jx mostly which u most probably wont fold otr ,
      his range is Kx mostly here imo
      Jx most likely and i dont see him bluffing the K too much with that sizing
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Heya,

Firstly, you can consider 3bet/5bet with your hand but calling is obviously fine. The 3bet to 5bet is when opponent 4bet bluffs often or stacks off light. Calling 99 though is definitely better than 22, so I'd start with 22 to 3bet/5bet when opponent 4bet bluffs often.

River is a bit tough.. It's tough because it's clear what you have and need to know if he bluffs enough of the time. I expect in general your opponent to bluff often enough for you to call here but it's just a bluffcatch. The more you play with him, it can turn into a fold.. for example if he can show up with anything else than Kx as made hand you might reconsider calling (sets, Jx, TT, etc). At the same time, keep in mind what he checked back as in equity/hand type so you know if you can check/call turns. He might not barrel equity on turn and only vbet so in that case it's hard to call 99 here.