How bad do I want to succeed?

• koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Didn't want to succeed bad enough for sure. So here I am, starting another blog (there are few that should rest forgotten in the depth of this forum). Should start like this:

Hello, pokerstrategists!

A member of this great community who fell is trying to rise and begin everything from zero. I'm 21 years old, I'm from Lithuania and I'm tired of letting myself down. I hope that whatever will be posted here, will lead to something epic, will show my mistakes that I could learn from it, will help me become better comprehensively.

Poker and me. Past. I started playing poker with my friends on playmoney tables about 3 years ago. Six months later I found out about pokerstrategy.com and their 50$ free starting capital. I read basic articles, passed the quiz and few days later received those juicy 50$ on FullTilt and started playing. All I knew about poker at that time was from my playmoney games experience and basic articles here. It was a matter of time for me to throw money away. Then I understood that you need to know more than your opponents to beat them. I started playing freerolls till I finally won something. At that time I learned some new things from bronze articles, sat at NL2 FR tables and tried to win. It was against all the bankroll management rules, but I didn't want to deposit. So I reached 15 buy-ins, then 25. Within couple of days I started playing more than 1 table. After a month or two I had enough buy-ins to play at NL5. I beated that limit also, was beating NL10 and dreaming about NL25... And then Black Friday. Lost my roll, didn't want to play or more likely grind (and improve also) on William Hill, where luckily I got another free starting capital. Thanks to PokerStrategy. I forgot about poker.

Poker and me. Present Practically I'm a novice at this game. Have to re-learn lots of things, learn tons of new stuff and I will do it. Been playing video games, one MOBA game particularly all this time. I understood that I reached my limits there and it's not profitable for me to continue playing, though there are some useful things for poker (particularly mindset) that I learned from this game and will try to use it.
      Will start from NL5 at William Hill to master the basics and get some strategy points since it's pretty much the only platform where I can get it.

And here it goes... Goals for this month:
      :diamond: Play at least 5k hands/week
      :diamond: Review at least 3 of my sessions I played that week (try to go for the maximum though)
      :diamond: Think about my game plan, what were my weaknesses, where should I improve myself for few minutes before each session
      :diamond: Learn a lot of stuff about pre-flop game, adjust it to micro limits.
      :diamond: Start studying postflop game later in the month
      :diamond: Reach silver status on pokerstrategy

It's pretty much most important things for me to do this month. My plan is to play most of my hands with me being the aggressor and me being in position, so almost everytime I get to open from the BTN I'll do it.

Feel free to post your thoughts, criticism etc. in this blog.

Let's see how bad do I want to succeed!
  • 16 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck! Hope you can find what it takes to succeed!

Don't worry it may not happen straight away, it's going to take plenty of hard work, effort etc.

:)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Thank you, HollyMichelle.

This day was pretty good. Did a review of my last session, spotted some mistakes and points where I could improve. After that went to play some poker: 1k hands on FullTilt and 500 on William Hill. I could say I played good enough, but this day was 'Feed the fish' day. I'm 3 stacks below EV after 1,5k hands. That's quite impressive lol. Though we all know that big sample of hands will show who's the boss :f_cool:

Going to get some sleep now and prepare myself for tomorrow's adventures.

Next day's goals:

:club: Learn some basics about game in blinds when CO/BTN tries to steal
      :club: Look for more experienced players opinions about preflop game with AK (when to stack off, should I 3bet OR from UTG etc.)
      :club: Postflop game when villain is preflop aggressor (losing too much moniez here)
      :club: Looks like it's popular to limp on 6max tables at NL5. Need to find out what is their limping on the button range lol

Good night people!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Punish those limpers! It's never a profitable strategy!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Limpers are using strategy which is profitable... for me :f_biggrin:

Good thing I can understand russian (not that good at talking, need some practice tbh), because oh boy! they have lots of good videos for basic and bronze players.

Anyways, time to play some hands and be ready for live coaching session by pleno1. It should be good. Probably will come by after that and write something about today's session.

Cya!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Things aren't going that good. I'm down 4 buyins and my streak of losing sessions continues. It feels like everytime villain's mid pair improves to two pair, he catches backdoor flush and etc. But it doesn't matter how much good boards they get or how many times I won't hit my top pair, draws etc.

What I learned from my past, that foremost you have to look at yourself, there're always mistakes to be found. Doesn't matter if they're tiny or huge, they lead you to your current situation. The only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes, secure yourself that you won't slip in the same place twice. Get up more times than you fall and eventually you will become a winner.

From what I see in my HEM, I should start looking for info about :

- HU pots where I'm not the aggressor;
      - Pots vs limper(s) (my isolation range is too wide);
      - Multiway pots;
      - Review my UTG, MP and BTN ranges;
      - When to and not to Cbet;
      - Playing TPTK, TPMK, TPWK;
      - AK, AQ
      - other Ax hands.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Transfered my roll from FullTilt to stars. More players = more fun. And... won my first session there. Obviously FTP is rigged lol :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Now, more seriously: yesterday after coach pleno1 (awesome coaching session btw) showed that INITIATIVE + POSITION = PROFIT. From now on I always have this in my mind when playing. Right after coaching session I decided to look at my hands and found some questionable pots played either without position or without initiative.

So today I tried to have both for most of the time also slightly improved my game with top pairs and was more cautious in multiway pots. And results are pretty good, though still far from the best: 1,5k hands +100bb.

Going to play another session now. Let's see how it goes. MAX CONCENTRATION + GOOD MUSIC = FUN AND PROFITABLE GAME!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Well, it felt like poker gods are trolling me lol. Dropped like 4 buyins in 2k hands, two of them by getting my aces crushed on the river: four card straight and 3 outer on the river es cool :) Lost other two by playing not optimally, kinda tilted I guess :( .

Stopped playing and went to watch Rounders, this movie calms me down. Decided that it's no point to think and be nervous about coolers and spots where I win at least 8 times out of 10 but cards showed middle finger to me this time. Instead, I should focus on those 2 buyins that I lost by playing bad and doing dumb mistakes. So read and re-read some articles, wrote down key points, experimented a bit with ranges in Equilab and sat on tables again. Played a nice session making profit of 200bb. Actually, it was the first time when I took studying poker more seriously than ever before. I knew I can beat this limit quite easily, but I kept losing. Conclusion: I SUCK => MUST STUDY AND IMPROVE. Whining that 'Poker is rigged' is for the weak ones, and I'm not planning to surrender.

Caught myself not thinking enough about who am I playing against, what is the board structure, what is the range of opponents with actions they're taking. So will try to change the way I'm playing from now on. Goals for future sessions:

[ ] Think about key points before session. Perfecting certains things that I already know, focusing on something new etc.
      [ ] Do more short breaks to keep concentrated. Currently playing too long without pauses. It doesn't mean I should play less overall, actually should keep working on my mental endurance.
      [ ] Review marked hands of last session
      [ ] Think, think, think! during the hand. Thoughts like 'I haz the nutz, I bet' should disappear

And for the end:

Hero (BTN): $5.09 (101.8 bb)
      SB: $2.52 (50.4 bb)
      BB: $5.39 (107.8 bb)
      UTG: $11.31 (226.2 bb)
      MP: $2.75 (55 bb)
      CO: $6.67 (133.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K:heart: K:club:
      UTG raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, SB raises to $2.52 and is all-in, BB folds, UTG raises to $11.31 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.64 and is all-in

Flop: ($12.75) 3:diamond: 2:diamond: 5:diamond: (3 players, 3 are all-in)
      Turn: ($12.75) 7:diamond: (3 players, 3 are all-in)
      River: ($12.75) J:spade: (3 players, 3 are all-in)

Final Board: 3:diamond: 2:diamond: 5:diamond: 7:diamond: J:spade:
      Hero showed K:heart: K:club: and lost (-$5.09 net)
      SB showed K:spade: A:spade: and lost (-$2.52 net)
      UTG showed A:diamond: Q:heart: and won $12.22 ($7.13 net) FUUUUU :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $5.43 (108.6 bb)
      SB: $3.40 (68 bb)
      BB: $6.50 (130 bb)
      UTG: $3.69 (73.8 bb)
      MP: $13.93 (278.6 bb)
      CO: $6.56 (131.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 6 2
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB folds

Flop: ($0.35) Q 8 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.85) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

River: ($1.15) K (2 players)
      SB bets $2.85, Hero calls $2.85

Results:
      $6.85 pot ($0.28 rake)
      Final Board: Q 8 7 4 K
      Hero showed 6 2 and won $6.57 ($3.17 net)
      SB showed T Q and lost (-$3.40 net) I open any two suited from the button. U MAD?
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Practice makes perfect! :D

9,6k hands played this month so far.

Just added 11$ to my bankroll and it makes me happy, because:

After being down 6 stacks at one point, I'm finally break even! :f_biggrin:

I hope my green line goes up from now on :f_cool:

Feeling more and more confident at this limit, will try to prove myself that it's time to move up to NL10 with next 20-30k hands. So basically in the end of January, I'll have to decide what to do.

Note from today's session: many players at this limit won't fold their TP with no kicker, don't fking bet/bet/bet with something less than TPGK.

BTN: $3.35 (67 bb)
      SB: $4.65 (93 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.05 (101 bb)
      UTG: $5.61 (112.2 bb)
      MP: $4.30 (86 bb)
      CO: $7.59 (151.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.70, MP raises to $1.65, CO raises to $7.59, Hero calls $4.35 and is all-in, MP calls $2.65 and is all-in

Flop: ($14.42) 2 8 2 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($14.42) 3 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($14.42) 9 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $14.42 pot ($0.60 rake)
      Final Board: 2 8 2 3 9
      Hero showed A A and won $6.91 ($1.86 net)
      MP showed K K and lost (-$4.30 net)
      CO showed A A and won $6.91 ($1.86 net)

Almost started screaming PLSS NOO KING! when I saw their hands hehe

BTN: $8.71 (174.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $5 (100 bb)
      BB: $1.46 (29.2 bb)
      UTG: $6.31 (126.2 bb)
      MP: $2.45 (49 bb)
      CO: $11.04 (220.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 9
      2 folds, CO calls $0.05, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB folds, CO raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.75) K 6 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO folds lulz :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Results:
      $0.75 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: K 6 6
      Hero mucked 9 9 and won $0.72 ($0.37 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.35 net)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Hey people, hope you doing good in life and in poker. Just coming by for a short update.

After 15k hands this month, I'm currently up 2,5 BI. Not crushing, not really happy with my results, though you get what you deserve. My results started improving when I dedicated more time for learning. Hope I will show nice graph in my end of the month post :) .

Planning to review ton of hands tomorrow and play with ranges in equilab. It actually improves thought process when playing, made some pretty nice bets/folds/calls because I was thinking about opponent's range from the beginning to the end of the hand. Also have to check if I'm folding too much. Keep thinking about that after today's session when I saw some crazy action with trash hands. Well, midpair with no kicker looks pretty strong for some guys :f_p:

• koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze

BTN: $6.10 (122 bb)
      SB: $10.17 (203.4 bb)
      BB: $5 (100 bb)
      UTG: $7.84 (156.8 bb)
      MP: $1.49 (29.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $5.78 (115.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A Q
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BTN calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 3 J 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, BTN calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.87) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.87) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.38 and is all-in, BTN calls $5.38

Results:
      $11.63 pot ($0.48 rake)
      Final Board: 3 J 6 K T
      BTN showed Q Q and lost (-$5.78 net)
      Hero showed A Q and won $11.15 ($5.37 net)

BOOOOM! Had to start with this hand lol.

Didn't play during weekend, because kinda wanted to relax, so didn't force myself into grinding. Watched few movies, just chilled around basically :) . Came back to the tables today: 1k hands, +15$. Luckbox deluxe mode on. This session was an opposite to my results at the beginning. Getting called like in the hand above, hitting a 2 outer lulz, hitting semibluffs :f_biggrin: Results wise it was wonderful day, I hope I won't find too many mistakes reviewing my session tomorrow.

PARAM PARAM PARAM PAMPAM
    • dooleslovs
      dooleslovs
      Platinum
      Hello from Lithuania, on above hand i think it's easy second barell OOP.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Thanks for coming by dooleslovs.

I agree with your opinion, should've barelled here. My A high still beats most of his flushdraws, and K :spade: is pretty good card to make him fold pocket pairs. Had few similiar situations today and took moneyz succesfully :)

Looks like super good run continues: 2k hands played today with 30$ in profit:f_love: So last 2 days I won 45$, which means NL10 is coming soon:f_cool:

BTN: $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $4.95 (99 bb)
      BB: $5.42 (108.4 bb)
      UTG: $1.81 (36.2 bb)
      Hero (MP): $5.56 (111.2 bb)
      CO: $8.07 (161.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K Q
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO raises to $0.35, 4 folds

Results:
      $0.37 pot
      CO mucked and won $0.37 ($0.22 net)

Maybe there is someone who would like to share his thoughts about playing KQ,KJ,QJ in these spots?:) I feel bad folding KQs when getting 3bet with this size, though I'm not that confident to play this hand postflop OOP. I'm calling these hands from CO/BTN vs open-raise from MP/CO and I'm pretty sure I dominate their hands most of the time. Also would call a 3bet of that size by blinds if I opened from CO/BTN. Would you suggest to try playing KQ,KJ,QJ OOP without initiative?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Zoomie I've seen you at the tables ;)

You owe me 1BB from todays session :D
    • dooleslovs
      dooleslovs
      Platinum
      Depands on vilain, you will not print money calling 3bets oop mp vs co against standart regs who have at best 6% 3bet vs you. So vs most tight regs fold will save you money. But if somebody is going out of line like 3beting 10% range vs you, KQs is one of the best hands for calling OOP. But you should not play fit or fold you have to raise float donk on some boards depanding on vilains tendancys.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Running not that good last three days... If first two days I got bunch of coolers and upsets on the river (river stars man.. lol), today I just played bad. Fold button disappeared for me today :| . Looks like I need to work on my mental game a bit. Usually I am concentrated to hands I'm currently playing, though today I slipped. Meh, today is a loss, tomorrow I have to come back better and crush!

Probably will take a shot at NL10 next week. Should be fun!

Not sure what I will do tomorrow, though Sunday will be a grinding day, planning to play at least 3k hands. And now, time to sleep. Good night!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Reached silver status, yay! :D More free content to read and watch.

Planning to play at least 2k hands today and try myself at NL10 tomorrow. Probably posting my NL5 adventures in a graph soontm.