My poker journey... maybe this time I can get it right!

• gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Georg and I'm a 20 year old guy from Canada. I started playing poker around 2 years ago for play money. I then entered a freeroll tourney on pokerstars to qualify for the WSOP main event. I ended up finishing 3rd after a great deal of luck and winning 2000$. I immediately started playing NL1/2 SH since 'I was sure' that I was great because I had lucked out in 1 tourney. I only played for a day, and at one point was up close to 500$ then lost down to -200$. At that point I realized how over my head I was and I withdrew all the money and continued to play for playmoney.

A little less than a year ago I joined pokerstrategy because I was bored of play money, but not willing to deposit my own money in poker. I got the 50$ on party poker and turned it into about 350$ before losing it all playing sng's and tourneys above my BR. After this I didn't play for some time, and then 3 months ago I got another 50$ from a different site and started playing on Fulltilt. This time I made it to 1000$ playing touneys and sngs, but once again was just kinda playing for fun and used the BR philosophy of 'if I lose it all I'm still break even since I never deposited'. So I ended up losing most of this roll as well.

Finally here I am today, and I've been playing for around a month with 50$ I got on Absolute poker. The difference this time is that I'm actually taking it more 'seriously' and playing good BRM along with spending at least an equal amount of time reading articles, posting hands, browsing forums, watching videos and attending the occasional coachings. So far things have gone quite well and I'm up to just under 500$.

I want to keep a blog mainly to keep me from making all the stupid mistakes I've made in the past, because now if I make them, I'll have to tell you guys all about how dumb I am (and my ego can't handle that :P ) Also it should help to keep track of my progress, and maybe some other people will read this and think twice about making all the same mistakes that I made. (Bad bankroll management got me A LITTLE money quick based on luck, but really just slowed down my progress in the longrun because what you win you'll just lose eventually when you play like this)

So far my favorite forms of poker have been sng's/mtt's (my strength I think) and NL SH cash games (just starting out with cash games, used to be pretty bad at them in general).

Enough about the past, now for the future....
      my short term poker goals are:
      -clear a couple of bonuses at AP by the end of July so that I can switch to a different site (that doesn't suck), where I can get PS points to learn more
      -focus on playing solid while clearing bonuses (not just grinding, but improving at the same time)
      -continue to study an equal amount of time as playing, to improve my cash game play as well as sng's
      -get positive ROI over a decent sample size of sng's at 10+1$ limit (have been playing mostly 5+0.5 up until now)
      -try out NL25 SH and have positive winrate (I'll try this limit only if I have 600$+ I think)
      -Once I'm finally earning PS points again, get to gold quickly to improve learning curve by seeing gold videos, coachings, forums etc.

My long term goals include constantly learning, maintaining a growing BR playing correct BRM, and moving up limits when I'm ready to do so.

I think that's enough for now, but I'll post some of my cash game/sng stats when I get a chance.

Cheers! (and I guess if you've made it this far, then thanks for reading my lengthy post :D )
  • 141 replies
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Ok, here are my stats and a graph for NL10 SH.

I'd be interested in any feedback people have on my stats, although I now this is a sample size. The big drop in the middle was 2 bad beats and then 1 hand where i called a big river bet that I should have folded (all happened within 5 min)...I stopped playing right after that because I new I was tilting a bit, but I needed to stop like 3 min earlier.

My thoughts on my stats are that I should have above 50 on 'won at showdown' , but other than that I'm not too sure what to make of them

For sng's:
      170 sng's at 5+0.5 at just over 18% roi 6 tabling.
      8 sng's at 10+1 running hot at 53% roi
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Just a quick update,

I got my BR just above 500$ and decided to take a small shot at NL25 SH. I decided to take a shot a bit earlier than my previous goal of 600$ because I don't think the level of play is much higher. I also gave myself a stop loss of 2 buy-ins so that if things didn't start well I couldn't loose too much.

Right when I started playing, I noticed a ton of players that I already had notes on from NL10 which was awesome, since I knew a couple of them pretty well. I played a pretty short 1000 hand session, and had a huge heater making 109$ 23.4BB/100 hands!!

Now my bankroll is a bit over 600$.

I'll try to post some nice hands when I get a chance.

Also, I'd really appreciate some comments from more experienced players about what I should be aiming for with short handed stats, since I don't have much of a clue :)
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Played another small session, and am still running scary hot!
      Stats for NL25 so farare- 1836 hands, +227.56$, 24.79 BB/100.

I know a lot of this has been great luck, and it's easy to play well when you're winning. I'll have to make sure I don't forget these good streaks next time I'm in a real slump!!

Here are a couple of nice hands from my last couple of sessions.

Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      6 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $47.50
      UTG+1: $34.02
      CO: $31.57
      Hero: $24.25
      SB: $25.06
      BB: $49.12

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 4:heart: 4:diamond:
      [color:#cc0000]UTG raises to $1[/color], 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 3:club: 4:club: J:club: ($2.35, 2 players)
      UTG checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $2[/color], UTG calls.

Turn: J:spade: ($6.35, 2 players)
      UTG checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $4[/color], [color:#cc0000]UTG raises to $26.1[/color], [color:#cc0000]Hero calls all-in $17.25[/color].
      Uncalled bets: $4.85 returned to UTG.

River: 8:spade: ($48.85, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $48.85)

Results:
      Final pot: $48.85
      [color:#ffffff]UTG Shows Ac Kc[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows 4h 4d[/color]

5 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $50.90
      CO: $14.30
      Button: $18.24
      Hero: $33.03
      BB: $38.07

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with T:club: K:heart:
      UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: J:heart: Q:spade: 2:club: ($0.75, 3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: A:diamond: ($0.75, 3 players)
      [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $0.6[/color], BB folds, CO calls.

River: 7:club: ($1.95, 2 players)
      [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $2[/color], [color:#cc0000]CO raises to $6.2[/color], [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $22[/color], [color:#cc0000]CO calls all-in $7.25[/color].
      Uncalled bets: $8.55 returned to Hero.

Results:
      Final pot: $28.85
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows 10c Kh[/color]

There were some other ones with set/set, AA/KK, set/2 pair etc.

I also lost a couple full stacks 4 betting people that looked like they were squeezing me preflop. One time I had QQ, the other time JJ (they had AA both times). Each time I 4 bet then was getting around 3:1 odds to call the rest of my chips when they 5 bet me. Should I be folding to the 5 bets in these spots since its probably not a bluff at these limits, or not even 4 bet in the first place??

Cheers,
      Georg
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I've played another 3k hands at NL25 SH at around -40$, which is a little frustrating, but I'm also happy that I'm getting used to this limit and still have a bankroll high enough to practice against some 'slightly' better competition. I also played a little NL10 SH at -40$ X( , which sucks since I'm now basically a break even NL10 player after 9k hands... oh well, at least I think I've improved a lot throughout, and illuminated quite a few leaks in my game (before was definitely a loosing cash player).

Here are my stats for the two limits together.

I've noticed that I tightened up just a bit playing NL25 compared to NL10. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, I'll have to wait and see after playing some more hands.

As far as my learning/playing skill goes, I think I've realized quite a few leaks in my game that I'm finally starting to correct now. Here are a couple of leaks that I've been working on...

-not calling big pot-ish size turn/river bets with marginal hands like TPGK etc, especially when I'm up against players that I know are regular semi-TAG players (I think this is where I've lost/wasted the most money)
      -not raising too loose from under the gun...
      -not overplaying TT,JJ,AK,QQ preflop
      -resisting the urge to continuation bet every single flop I see (at the start on NL10 I continuation bet way too predictably)

My bankroll is now at 585$ and my plan is to keep working on my SH cash game (hopefully at NL25 unless I loose a couple of buyins and have to move back down) until the end of July. After that I plan on switching sites and starting to work on my sng's again at the 10+1$ level.

Cheers,
      Georg
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      that's funny, I reached the $500 mark today :)
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Hey Kruppe, nice to see that someone is reading! and nice work making it to 500$.

This is just a quick update, but I played another 2k hands at NL25 SH at -12$. It was a pretty frustrating session because every time I had made some profit, I got cooler. The 3 biggest hands that I lost were set over set for a whole stack, 44>KK allin preflop for a stack (ya someone called my 5 bet with 44...) and top two pair over bottom 2 pair for half a stack. Anyways, I think I'm improving though which is good, I laid down QQ overpair today when I was sure opponent had AA/KK and also folded a TPTK. These were the sorts of times that I was wasting money before...

One more thing to add to my list of things to work on...
      -not paying off small raises when I'm pretty sure I'm beat (seems like people are basically never bluffing like this at this limit)

Cheers,
      Georg

edit*bankroll at 573 now
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Played just under 3k hands in the past day and a half at NL25 SH. +47$. There were a lot of ups and downs, and I got cooled quite a few times, my KK vs AA twice all in preflop for full stacks, and also lost a stack with AA against a flush draw who calls against all odds on the turn and caught it on the river... on the flip side, I pulled a huge suckout for a stack with runner runner straight against a set, so it's going both ways.

I feel like this is by far the best session I've played, in terms of the amount of errors made, and I think I've cut out a lot of my very expensive leaks, but there are still lots of situations where I'm making mistakes and need to improve. Hopefully i can keep climbing slowly but surely!

Cheers,

BR 620$.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I've played a couple more sessions of NL 25 SH over the past couple of days and its been really tough. I lost 4 buyins pretty quick, then eventually won them back, then lost another 3.5 buyins and finally won one of them back to put me at -65$ for the two sessions.

I've encountered more bad beats or coolers in the past sessions than in all the hands I had played so far in my short cash game career (I'm up to 14k hands NL25, had already played 9k hands NL10).I won't go into all the specific hands because I don't see the use of it but I lost set/set, flopped straight over rivered boat, etc.etc.etc. I think I was able to play well through most of it, and take the beats ok, but I did lose almost a complete buyin on a very bad bluff that in hindsight was due to tilt, and also made 1 bad call for 1/3 of a buyin on small tilt... I'll have to cut these out, because I know it just kills my profitability. (although this is definitely a big improvement on my past experiences in cashgames where I'd suffer a bad beat, get pissed off and move up a couple limits to win back my loses :baby: ...lol)

Anyways, other than a bit of small tilt in the middle, I think I played pretty well. I'm starting to feel more comfortable in a lot of postflop situations that I used to hate and I think this skill will transfer over to sng's when I start to play them again as well. Other than that I don't have anything specific to add to my list of leaks to work on other than 'not going on tilt' which is an obvious, but difficult leak to completely fix.

I'll try to keep posting some sample hands and commenting on hands, as this has helped me a ton so far. I'd really like to attend some more coaching, but unfortunately I'm not around when they're being held most of the time. I'll have to try and make it to a couple in the near future.

BR now 555$
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Ok, so I'm working a great 'security' job tonight and tomorrow night which involves sitting in front of a window with my laptop watching outside to make sure no one is messing around with some equipment for 20$/hour. I've just started now (7:20pm in canada) and will finish tomorrow at 7am, and all I'll have to do is play poker!! Same deal for tomorrow night as well. I'll for sure have to take some breaks from poker during this time, but I'm basically going to play 20-24 hours in the next 2 days, unless I'm tired or on tilt. I'll post my sessions results tomorrow morning and wish me luck!

This is going to be intense, my longest sessions ever up until now
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Gl, but take breaks regularly. Just walk around for 5 minutes after playing 2 hours. Do you play on party?
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      no I'm playing on absolute poker (which kinda sucks)...that why im not getting ps points right now, but will either move at the end of july or august.

Yes, I plan on taking a lot of breaks.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      day 1 of playing all night is finishing up right now (its 6:15am here) so here are my results from this long session.

I played pretty much non-stop 6 tabling NL 25 SH since 7:30pm yesterday night (took lots of breaks but none more than 10min) and had by far the best session of my life! I'm not sure how many hands I played since I'm having some trouble with pokertracker, but somewhere around 5k I think, and finished +275$ (11 BI) :D

The best part of the session came around 3am when I was sitting at a table just to the left of my new favorite poker player ever. In the space of 2 hours I went form 25$ to 200$, about 150 of which came from the same guy. He never folded a single hand preflop and every time he had a decent hand and you bet into him he just pushed it all in (it was a deep stack table so every time he re-bought it was for 50$). Here are a couple of the fun hands with this guy, each one is against the same villain!!

Hand #1

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $46.50
      Hero: $54.38
      Button: $10.22
      SB: $45.53
      BB: $10

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with J:heart: J:spade:
      UTG calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], 3 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: T:club: 4:diamond: 5:heart: ($2.85, 2 players)
      UTG checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $2.25[/color], UTG calls.

Turn: 8:heart: ($7.35, 2 players)
      UTG checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $6[/color], UTG calls.

River: A:club: ($19.35, 2 players)
      [color:#cc0000]UTG bets $19.35[/color], Hero calls.

Results:
      Final pot: $58.05
      [color:#ffffff]UTG Shows Jd 6s[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows Jh Js[/color]

I was a little scared that he had caught the ace, but already had a pretty solid read on him, so I made the call. Just started laughing when he showed his hand and insta-rebought for 50$ more.

Hand #2

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $10.12
      UTG+1: $38.31
      Hero: $80.35
      Button: $23.27
      SB: $19.02
      BB: $45.43

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 7:spade: 7:diamond:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 4:diamond: 7:heart: J:diamond: ($3.85, 3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+1 checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $3[/color], BB folds, [color:#cc0000]UTG+1 raises to $36.75[/color], [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $73.5[/color], [color:#cc0000]UTG+1 calls all-in $0.31[/color].
      Uncalled bets: $36.44 returned to Hero.

Turn: K:spade: ($77.97, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $77.97)

River: 6:diamond: ($77.97, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $77.97)

Results:
      Final pot: $77.97
      [color:#ffffff]UTG+1 Shows 8h 8c[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows 7s 7d[/color]

Pretty much a nobrainer for me, just so funny that all he has is a pair of 8s.

Hand #3

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $10.20
      UTG+1: $9.65
      CO: $50.49
      Hero: $140.06
      SB: $61.52
      BB: $57.73

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K:spade: K:heart:
      UTG calls, [color:#cc0000]UTG+1 raises to $1.25[/color], CO calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $4.5[/color], 3 folds, [color:#cc0000]UTG+1 raises to $9[/color], [color:#cc0000]CO raises all-in $50.49[/color], Hero calls, [color:#cc0000]UTG+1 calls all-in $0.65[/color].

Flop: 6:club: 9:diamond: Q:spade: ($82.88, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $29.55, Sidepot 1: $53.33)

Turn: K:diamond: ($82.88, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $29.55, Sidepot 1: $53.33)

River: 6:spade: ($82.88, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $29.55, Sidepot 1: $53.33)

Results:
      Final pot: $82.88
      [color:#ffffff]UTG+1 Shows Ah Ad[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]CO Shows Qd 10d[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows Ks Kh[/color]

I got pretty lucky to win the main pot as well, sucking out on the aces! I think I would have literally cried if his QT had taken down the pot as it almost did...man was i sweating that river....unfortunately he left quietly after this hand.

I can't imagine how my session starting tonight will top that, but hopefully I can keep running hot! For now I'm just excited to get a little sleep before another long session.

Cheers,
      Georg
      BR now at 830$
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      nice :)
      post some graphs too!
      always fun to see :)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Very nice read! Keep up the good work.
      :P
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Thanks for reading guys. Here is my graph of NL25 SH so far, I think it may be missing 1k hands or something because my pokertracker is weird right now, but the overall shape of the graph would be pretty much identical. I had a big upswing right when I started, then played break even for like 10k hands which was frustrating a bit... then yesterday night happened :P

As far as stats: PRF 14, VPIP 17.8, WTSD 21, W$SD 52, AF 3.

I'm still working on getting comfortable loosening up more preflop (when I started NL25 SH it was more like 12 and I'd like it to be more like 15-16 I think)
      Other than that, does anyone see obvious areas needed for improvement based on these stats?
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      Brill stuff - Just wish i had the time to play more - any jobs going :) Like the sound of playing all night and getting paid wages as well :D
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Hehe nice run. Crazy things can happen in the weekends against the fish. Hope you run as good tonight.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      It's currently 4 am here, and I've got a couple more hours left in day 2 of playing all night, but I need a break so post a quick update. Today has been another good day for me in terms of results, as I'm up 145$ at the moment.

The not so great part is that I think this is almost entirely due to some great luck, and I don't feel like I've played very well today (mostly because I'm tired...slept 3 hours yesterday, and not at all today) Anyways I'm going to stay focused and keep grinding for another couple of hours as I have nothing else to do at this job.

Here's the best hand of the day for me so far: My first +100$ pot :)

5 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $31.36
      CO: $50
      Hero: $55.64
      SB: $60.63
      BB: $13.34

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 6:heart: 6:club:
      UTG folds, [color:#cc0000]CO raises to $1[/color], Hero calls, [color:#cc0000]SB raises to $5.75[/color], BB folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 6:diamond: J:diamond: J:spade: ($17.5, 3 players)
      [color:#cc0000]SB bets $16.75[/color], [color:#cc0000]CO raises all-in $44.25[/color], [color:#cc0000]Hero raises all-in $49.89[/color].
      Uncalled bets: $5.64 returned to Hero.

Turn: 5:club: ($95.25, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $122.75)

River: 2:diamond: ($95.25, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $122.75)

Results:
      Final pot: $95.25
      [color:#ffffff]CO Shows Jc Kd[/color]
      [color:#ffffff]Hero Shows 6h 6c[/color]

I called the 3 bet preflop because we were so deep I was definitely getting the implied odds.

BR now 975$
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Keep up the good work, nice read.