[NL2-NL10] nl10Sh AKs squeeze

• RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

UTG: 7/6/6.0 after 70 hands

CO: 23/21/3.0 after 49 hands
      Note: he c/shoves turn w/ TPTK

At first I thought about folding pre. The nit is going to shove most of the time and the CO is probably gonna call if the nit doesn't shove. Just a very messed up situation.

But I grew some balls, squeezed and then it's standard I guess?

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $24.82 (248.2 bb)
      MP: $29.66 (296.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $11.12 (111.2 bb)
      CO: $11.07 (110.7 bb)
      SB: $10.85 (108.5 bb)
      BTN: $24.54 (245.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A K
      UTG raises to $0.40, MP folds, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.70, UTG calls $1.30, CO calls $1.30

Flop: ($5.15) 7 Q 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $2.45, 2 folds

Results:
      $5.15 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q 4
      UTG mucked and lost (-$1.70 net)
      Hero mucked A K and lost (-$1.70 net)
      CO mucked and won $4.90 ($3.20 net)

Thanks!

RasTweet
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Rastweet,

Preflop: looks fine, more than fine of a squeeze. A bit on the larger side but it's fine.

Postflop: Considering that we have a backdoor flush, 2 overs, backdoor straight and a somewhat dry board we can throw out a cbet. And we have quite a few cards to bet the turn on again.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      preflop is it fine to squeeze/fold here? i do this a lot. and i also 3bet/fold HU with UTG raiser when i have AK/QQ because im ~40% vs the continuing range assuming they aren't calling much... feels sort of bad to 3bet/fold but i dont see any other option since folding and calling OOP both suck.

postflop i understand your point but it doesnt make sense to me because if we cbet for the following reasons: a) direct FE, b) backdoor equity which we can turn and barrel and c) 6 overcard outs which we can also barrel on.......

a) vs calling ranges like 99-QQ, AJs, KQs, AQ.. will we get many folds on this flop?
      b) if called on this flop we probably don't have FE on any :heart: or J or T since they call on the flop with some sort of hand almost always, and so we won't see many folds.
      c) once called on the flop, if we hit an A or K, it will often give villain 2pair with KQ/AQ in which case we either turn our hand into a bluff vs TT or JJ that floated, or we are behind vs 2pair or even a set of QQQ.

hope i explained my thinking right :D basically just because we CAN barrel on lots of cards, i dont think we necessarily have any value (from FE or direct equity) in doing so...
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Folding after the squeeze there is fine against the tigthest of players when we don't expect them to 4-bet bluff or stack off lighter like AQ (when holding AK) or JJ (when holding QQ).

Of course as you get in late positions, 100 BB deep, we are not folding to a 4-bet.

While UTG has a tighter range he is also often set mining. 70 hands is not a great sample to say that yes he only has 5% of hands and thus he is really strong. IF that would be over hundreds/thousand of hands it would be different.

CO's range here is the widest because he cold called preflop and then called our bet.

A half pot cbet only has to work 33% of the time and while I agree with you that certain turn cards don't give us immediate FE it gives us hand equity so we can continue with the hand, either by betting or ck/raising (if we think they float) or even ck/calling.

For c) I recommend you pick a range that you think villain will call you with, open equilab add our hand/their range, add the board (and various turns) and see how much of his range hits it. For example if he has both KQ/AQ in his range when an A hits the turn he can have 6 combos of AQ and still 9 combos of KQ (not counting everything else)