TobZero

• 10 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Tobi,

Welcome to the course.

You can find all the information you need about the lessons here http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=144777:

Please let us know if you have any questions and don't forget to post your homework here.
    • TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Thank you Bogdan for your welcome.

After going through the first Lesson, reading Articles, posting on the handevaluation forum and starting a topic in the beginners forum i finally had time for the Lesson1 Podcast and am now back to do my homework :)

[SIZE=16]Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?[/SIZE]
      (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Ok this is gonna be very specific and a very long read because this is something i need to get out of my mind as it is very important to me on a personal level:

For a very long time now i was not satisfied with my whole life situation, job choice etc. I played a LOT of online games or let me better say i spend a lot of TIME playing online games.
      I always played to win, i always wanted to improve, know more than everybody else and just become the better player through a mixture of time commitment and hard work. I wrote strategie guides about encounters, games/classes/races and how to actually play "good". I spent hundreds of days of /played to work my way up to the top and at the end nobody every really knew what i did nor did they know who i was (changing nickname very often doesnt help!).

In the end i was playing with the most skilled and talented players and reached my goal of beeing better than 95% of the player base
      BUT
      it was never very rewarding. I couldnt drop my normal job and earn my money playing online games, my family and friends never understood what i was doing with all my time, eSports only lately grew a lot in popularity. The only real reward for me was that i achieved my own goals in a very isolated environment beside some truly epic moments i shared with guild/clan/corp/team mates. Not beeing able to drop my normal job also keeped me from climbing those last 5% to the top as i simply couldnt invest as much time as i would have had to, to compete with the other players on my level of experience.

Finaly i found in Poker THE "online-game" that could let me lead the life i always wanted to lead. My personal strength and talents fit perfectly to the requirements of beeing a sucessfull Poker player. Im ambitious and have the ability to hyperfocus on very certain topics, I know how to work hard for marginal improvements and am gifted with a very quick witt and a gutfeeling about people which i most cant explain most of the time but that proofed itself to be very accurate with nearly no exception! Last but not least is my ability to make quick well thought out decisions which is not very usefull in many real live situations (where you have lots of time to think about difficult decisions) but much more in online action packed moments! Oh and im very capable of accurate selfreflection and acknowledgement of flaws which has always helped me to improve myself very efficent.
      With Poker i can slowly start at the very bottom again and work my way up. Due to the fact that you can earn your living with poker i can (and want to) just continue my old job as long as needed to sustain my livestyle though Poker alone. At the end i will see if i still have it to get to the top again and finally live my dream. In addition this time i will be able to proof family and friends that i am able to earn my money with "gaming"!

[SIZE=16]Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?[/SIZE]
      (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

- im running hot very fast and have to slow my enthusiasm and keep a clear head
      - i tend to multitask to much and have to constantly remind me to just focus on playing
      - i have to very strictly stick to my predefined plan to not loose focus sometimes
      - i hold on to very strong starting hands for to long before i realize the arent strong anymore and im giving away free money -> need more fold discipline on flop/turn
      - i DEFINATLY play to long without breaks. -> need to get myself a timer and end sessions after a reasonable time and relax my mind
      - result from above point is that i repeat certain mistakes way to often in the same session as im missing out on very important session reviews!
      - i overvalue HUD stats sometimes with way to low a sample size and start tilting when i loose a stack to a supposed callingstation/fish -> at least i recognice this immediately and stop playing
      - in many situations my theory knowledge still isnt soild and broad enough so i fold too many hands i already payed for (which isnt actually a real weakness imho as it prevents more expensive mistakes but a topic i have to improve a lot on)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

A tight aggressive player, also called TAG, is someone who overall plays few hands (~10-20%) but those prefered with initiative and properly sized bets and continued aggression. He bets for value as most of his hands played have good odds. He prefers to seperate weak players and use position on them to fill the pot while holding a strong hand. This concept works so well as the expected value from few strong starting hands is far better than playing many average hands which force you to make many very difficult and most likely expensive decissions. In addition to that its harder for other players to call your bluffs and put you on certain hands.

Wow this was long!
      I hope you wont need a TL:D R haha. please excuse my (very likely) plenty spelling errors for now. i may later go over it and correct the most obvious ones but for now i need a break :D

Greetings!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Glad to see you put a lot of effort in your homework :)

Great start by you so let's get to it:

Q1: I can relate a lot to your past gaming experiences (I was big into FPSs and MMO such as WoW where I was a pretty successful PVE guild leader). And I know exactly what you mean because these games "wasted" so much of my time that I lost track of what's really important in life.

The next step for you should be to set out short and long term goals and then break them down into even smaller pieces that you can do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. This will help you understand what needs to be done to get where you want to go.

Q2: Try to shut down browsers, skype, vent, or anything else that you have going on in the background (including the TV unless you have it on a radio/music channel that's not distracting you with nice shapes bouncing around).

Setting up goals and a plan on how to achieve them will help you in solving the playing too long issue. If you predefine how much you want to play and study and you can be very specific/strict. You won't be 100% at first but you can work towards it.

For the rest of the items you need more practice, study and help from tools such as videos, evaluation forums, coachings, etc.

Q3: looks good

Well done, homework 1 complete. Onto the next.

Good luck at the tables.
    • TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Hey Bogdan,

im back at the tables after beeing ill for a good week.

I took your answers to action and decided to start with some simple goals.

Goal 1 (short term):
      Getting more volume in! Imho when starting something new its really important to just do that "thing" a lot.
      In my case i decided that i want to play ~1k hands/day on at least 5 days/week. While doing this i set a timer to 90min and take a 20min break after the session and 10min to go through questionable hands.

Goal 2 (short term):
      When i reach the 1k hands (or after ending the last session for the day) i want to dedicate 1h to learning (posting hands, reading strategy, watching vids) with an focus on issues i had that day.

Goal 3 (long term):
      Once a month (preferable on the nonplaying days) i will choose a new topic to add to my knowledge and keep my game evolving.
      I will try to focus on mastering the knowledge withing the next weeks and will only add a new element to my game if im comfortable with the previous addition.

Goal 4 (long term):
      Start a poker blog.
      Im already writing a ton in this thread and decided that its a good idea to start my own blog. This will keep me motivated and can go on way beyond the beginners course and has a lot more positive side effects like external motivation, getting to know like minded players (finding/creating a learning group).

But enough of this and to the homework for

Lesson 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      There are many hands i would play differently. Let me start with the "why?"!
      The SHC doesnt take a LOT of information into account like: villian image/reads, exact position (BU isnt CO and SB isnt BB), hero image on table, stack sizes!! and groups hands to strong (QQ isnt AA).
      What i play different: the better my position the more i deviate from the chart. I raise more pocket pairs from late when there are limpers and i play boradway connectors more agressive from late.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Hand for evaluation: [Nl2] JJ

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      AKo has 46,32% equity vs. the top5%!
      Its funny that this certain hand is questioned as i found out that its a trap hand that can loose you a lot if played strictly after the SHC!!

TobZero
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Tobi, are you still with us? :)

Just a reminder for you to do your homework if you can find time. I read you were a bit ill for a while so I hope you are well and crushing the games now! :f_cool:

Have fun,

Mal.
    • TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Hi gadget,

im still here. Have been aboard for over a month an just returned yesterday.
      Im about to get back to the tables (no online poker in US) once my jetlag and some task are done!

Learned a lot while away =)

Tob
    • TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Ok back here to finish Lesson 3.

I already did a lot of it before my trip to the US so this is more a review homework:

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      PF equity is nearly 50/50 with a tiny advantage for KQ (below 1%)
      OTF its 26/74 in favour of 33.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      Call!
      while the flop hits BUs preflop flatcall range way better than ours and his c/r is very strong play we have the needed potodds to call the minraise.
      In addition we hold the nutflush draw and could possibly get villians remaining stack OTR if he made a set or a straight. If the river doesnt complete our flush we fold to any bet.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Dont have a hand atm but probably will tonight after this afternoons session.

Tob
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by TobZero
      Ok back here to finish Lesson 3.

I already did a lot of it before my trip to the US so this is more a review homework:

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      PF equity is nearly 50/50 with a tiny advantage for KQ (below 1%)
      OTF its 26/74 in favour of 33.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      Call!
      while the flop hits BUs preflop flatcall range way better than ours and his c/r is very strong play we have the needed potodds to call the minraise.
      In addition we hold the nutflush draw and could possibly get villians remaining stack OTR if he made a set or a straight. If the river doesnt complete our flush we fold to any bet.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Dont have a hand atm but probably will tonight after this afternoons session.

Tob
      Well done, homework 3 complete.

Q1: looks good

Q2: Plus our NFD is a backdoor so villain won't be as scared when it hits (thus more implied odds).

Q3: Feel free to post as many hands as you want either here or the evaluation boards.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Lesson 4.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      [NL2] T9 BTN vs BB

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      AJ Riverdecision

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      Equity is 41.5%

Tob
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by TobZero
      Lesson 4.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      [NL2] T9 BTN vs BB

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      AJ Riverdecision

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      Equity is 41.5%

Tob

Hi Tob,

Congrats, homework 4 is now complete.

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan