[NL2-NL10] 99 overplayed?

• gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $17.40 (174 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $4.70 (47 bb)
      BB: $10.73 (107.3 bb)
      MP: $10.90 (109 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 9
      MP raises to $0.40, CO folds, Hero calls $0.40, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.95) 6 4 6 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.70, Hero raises to $1.85, MP raises to $4.70, Hero raises to $9.60 and is all-in, MP calls $4.90

Turn: ($20.15) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($20.15) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $20.15 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 6 4 6 J T
      Hero showed 9 9 and won $9.57 (-$0.43 net)
      MP showed 9 9 and won $9.58 (-$0.42 net)
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop is fine.

So what worse hands do you think are playing like this? Do we have any specific information about the player that you decided not to tell us?
      I am really looking forward to see your answer here since this is quite a common mistake for some players.

Best,
      Plamen
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      Hello,

Preflop is fine.

So what worse hands do you think are playing like this? Do we have any specific information about the player that you decided not to tell us?
      I am really looking forward to see your answer here since this is quite a common mistake for some players.

Best,
      Plamen
      sorry no info on villain :( from what i remember he was fairly aggressive but nothing out of line.

looking back its pretty stupid, i end up isolating myself against better hands.

At the time i thought i was raising for protection, and would be happy to take the pot on the flop.

what line is best here? call flop, how do we play vs overcards on T+R? raise/ fold flop?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I would just call the flop here and reevaluate on the turn.
      On most overcards I'd call again here since it's likely for him to barrel them with weaker hands too.

If we go for raise/go broke on the flop, we are pretty much isolating ourselves only against better hands and I think you got lucky here that he ended up having 99 here.

So overall, just call him one or two streets and give up on the river if you don't improve.
      People usually don't make triple barrel bluffs and wouldn't value bet 88 or 77 on three streets most of the time.

Best,
      Plamen