[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Kk

    • 0744379
      0744379
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.06.2011 Posts: 435
      Seat 5 is the button
      Seat 5: Player5 ( $11.80 USD ) - VPIP: 21, PFR: 16, 3B: 6, AF: 2.5, Hands: 680
      Seat 2: Hero ( $14.58 USD ) - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 6, AF: 2.4, Hands: 44449
      Seat 3: Player3 ( $8.40 USD ) - VPIP: 30, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: 1.5, Hands: 53
      Seat 1: Player1 ( $10.00 USD ) - VPIP: 17, PFR: 15, 3B: 4, AF: 2.2, Hands: 129
      Seat 4: Player4 ( $25.43 USD ) - VPIP: 47, PFR: 3, 3B: 0, AF: 2.0, Hands: 30

      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

      BTN: $11.80 (118 bb)
      Hero (BB): $14.58 (145.8 bb)
      MP: $8.40 (84 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      CO: $25.43 (254.3 bb)

      Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      MP folds, CO calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, CO calls $0.50

      Flop: ($1.25) 8 J 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, CO calls $1

      Turn: ($3.25) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.40, CO raises to $4.80, Hero raises to $12.98 and is all-in, CO calls $8.18

      River: ($29.21) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

      Results:
      $29.21 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 8 J 4 3 K
      Hero mucked K K and lost (-$14.58 net)
      CO showed 7 T and won $28.21 ($13.63 net)


      Same opp as AK all in hand I posted. I was definitely on tilt at this stage and completely ignored stack sizes. I should have learned from previous AK hand but ordinarily would you fold this turn? I think villain rarely has less than 2pair
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Hi Kevin,

      Preflop: looks fine

      Postflop: Considering we are deep and the board is a bit wet we can even pot it here.

      This is a very similar scenario with the other hand but this time the obvious draw completes as well.

      Even if we have the Kc this is still closer to a fold.

      So in this case bet/fold turn for value versus 1p hands and some backdoor Ac hands.

      Since you said you were on tilt what's your plan to combat that in the future? Do you have a stop loss in place? Do you have any way to prevent yourself from sitting at the tables while tiled? For example do you have an exit strategy?
    • 0744379
      0744379
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.06.2011 Posts: 435
      Well I bought "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler as a present to myself for Christmas. I figured it would give me a good edge at these limits.

      I only started reading it last week and had begun to follow the steps outlined in it before this session where I lost 5BI.

      I don't hlook at the cashier/hold'em manager for results until the end of the week so I don't know exactly how much I am down during a session but if I feel I am down 3-5 BI I will quit. If I feel I'm playing well I may keep playing.

      I intend to read more of the book and work on my game before returning to the tables.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by 0744379
      Well I bought "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler as a present to myself for Christmas. I figured it would give me a good edge at these limits.

      I only started reading it last week and had begun to follow the steps outlined in it before this session where I lost 5BI.

      I don't hlook at the cashier/hold'em manager for results until the end of the week so I don't know exactly how much I am down during a session but if I feel I am down 3-5 BI I will quit. If I feel I'm playing well I may keep playing.

      I intend to read more of the book and work on my game before returning to the tables.
      It's good that you are at least doing something and that book is a good start.

      I would recommend setting up a better exit strategy where it will prevent you from staying at the tables when you see tilt starting to build up.

      For example, I often do "mental state checks" where I evaluate myself, as objectively as possible, every 5-10 minutes to see where I'm standing. If I can't be objective about it it's usually too late and I'm already somewhat tilted.

      The idea would be to spot the onset of tilt early on and leave the tables, or at least take a break.
    • 0744379
      0744379
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.06.2011 Posts: 435
      When you say you evaluate yourself what process do you go through?

      I presume you ask yourself more specific questions than "Am I on tilt"
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by 0744379
      When you say you evaluate yourself what process do you go through?

      I presume you ask yourself more specific questions than "Am I on tilt"
      Yes, you are right. It's a bit more complex.

      My plan has evolved over the years however the basics of it are that we want to evaluate some of the plays we've made in the last X minutes to see if we've made sound decisions based on logic rather than emotions. We can also check to see if we are still giving ourselves enough time to think before acting (my usual is to wait a few seconds before any action as trivial as it may be so if I see myself doing anything instantaneously that's a sign of potential soft tilt).
    • 0744379
      0744379
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.06.2011 Posts: 435
      I often find myself playing a little too fast especially if I have had a dry run of cards and have been just folding preflop then when I play a hand whether its strong or marginal I play it too quick postflop as I am in a rhythm.

      I will try to introduce this evaluation technique in future sessions.

      Thanks
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by 0744379
      I often find myself playing a little too fast especially if I have had a dry run of cards and have been just folding preflop then when I play a hand whether its strong or marginal I play it too quick postflop as I am in a rhythm.

      I will try to introduce this evaluation technique in future sessions.

      Thanks
      You are welcome.

      A good habit to get yourself in is to try and take 5 seconds before you make each action (unless you play a lot of tables and time out a lot in which case you probably want to reduce the number of tables).