[NL20-NL50] 4bet bluff or call?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Bronze
      Hypothetical situation. Was having a discussion with friends and want to know if its better to 4bet bluff angainst someone like this or call.

Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $21.64
      CO: $25.70
      Hero (BTN): $27.08
      SB: $14.08
      BB: $20.86 28/25/15 (VPIP/PFR/3bet)
      UTG: $25.82

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB folds, BB raises to $2, Hero ???
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Vs that 3bet I tihnk your hand is good enough to call IP for sure.

As a 4bet bluff hand though, AJ is decent but not great. KQ blocks more value hands usually. Imo, call > 4bet > fold.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Bronze
      Could you throw some more light on this.

I was under the impression that with calling 3bets you're mostly losing money since its tough to play post flop.

If I call a 3bet and I don't flop a pair then do I fold to a cbet on say 872r board?

When I call 3 bets isn't it possible for the BB to double barrell me on non broadway boards since my range for calling 3bets will be broadway Ax, and some PPs.

Even with a J pair or an A pair i might be dominated. am I to call down till river if I flop a pair and no other scary draw comes on say a board like 32J7K?

What are we trying to do by calling 3bets? Keep his weaker range in and let him bluff off post flop?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You can make money from calling 3bets and more importantly you lose less than the 3bb you opened to preflop in the long run.. that's also money won..

About postflop, against someone this wide you need to have an undefined calling range, wide enough to play back on more than broadway boards like you correctly noticed a problem. If you only call AQ, AJs, KQ, KJs it's too easy to play vs you. I would defend very wide here vs 15% 3bet that is likely >15% in these positions. Probably a snap call pre with 97s and better.. Now you can play back on just about any board.