CO ($5.28)
      BTN ($4)

Dealt to Hero 3:diamond: 3:heart:

UTG raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, CO calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.54) A:heart: 3:spade: 9:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero bets $0.26, CO folds, UTG calls $0.26

TURN ($1.06) A:heart: 3:spade: 9:diamond: K:heart:

UTG checks, Hero bets $0.84, UTG raises to $3.53, Hero pushes

Should his checkraise alert me to a higher set? Will I ever be able to fold this vs unknown? I think it is quite possible for villains to do this both with top pair and as a bluff, though I doubt it happens often enough. Thoughts? thanks
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Painterman,

Preflop: Do we know anything about our opponents? Without big fish behind us (or UTG being one) we can even fold this hand preflop.

Postflop: As played valuebet the flop larger and on the turn he is trying to represent AA/KK possibly 99.

I doubt UTG, unless a big fish/maniac, would ck/call flop and ck/shove turn with many bluffs however his really large raise makes me think he wants some sort of FE (as I'd expect a lot of AA/KK to just min-raise us). Thus I'd be tempted to call.
    • painterman007
      painterman007
      Bronze
      I realise "set mining" isn't very popular in 6-max, but pocket pairs do still have great potential?

It is just folding low pp when we don't have initiative you mean? And the reason to fold the low ones is generally preventing set under set? (As it is rare that we play our 99 for value as an overpair)
      Where does the line go? 55? 66?
      As always to poker questions, "It depends", but in general terms.

I get the "bet bigger" tip alot, both from you and from myself in review, and I will def. work on improving sizing. The problem is I always feel like I'm scaring away all the value hands!

Thanks alot!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by painterman007
      I realise "set mining" isn't very popular in 6-max, but pocket pairs do still have great potential?

It is just folding low pp when we don't have initiative you mean? And the reason to fold the low ones is generally preventing set under set? (As it is rare that we play our 99 for value as an overpair)
      Where does the line go? 55? 66?
      As always to poker questions, "It depends", but in general terms.

I get the "bet bigger" tip alot, both from you and from myself in review, and I will def. work on improving sizing. The problem is I always feel like I'm scaring away all the value hands!

Thanks alot!
      Re: value size

Ask yourself what range you are targeting and if you think a bigger bet makes a difference. Normally, unless you target a weaker range (2nd pair or worse) you can bet large, especially multiway.

Re: PPs

Bigger pairs have more chances to make it to showdown. So 99 will be an overpair on most flops and as you said smaller chances of set/set.

With position is still fine to call but against bigger raises from a tight range we fold a lot postflop so the overall profitability is lower. You also have many more guys behind that could 3-bet (if you play with aggressive 3-betters). IF you have fish behind (which we don't know) it gets better because they would call as well and we have better implied odds.

I would say that you can group 22-66 together, and 77-88 close after.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Originally posted by painterman007
      And the reason to fold the low ones is generally preventing set under set?
      No it is not that a reason that we fold low pp. I think the reason is that we just have to fold to cbets of course when we dont hit because our hand is weak. And when we hit we will have problems to extract enough value because it is more less likely that villain hits something also because the game itself is looser in SH tables. Plus another think is that you will become exploitable if you always call with your low pps and then be active only when you hit.

So all in all the only problem is that it is a possibility that you will make loose in long term and this is the main reason why not to call everytime without really having a reason to do that.