cindy1985
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
      8 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 7 7
      UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $1.75, MP1 calls, 4 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: K A 7 ($5.5, 3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $4.5, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $13, UTG+1 folds.
      Uncalled bets: $8.5 returned to Hero.

Results:
      Final pot: $14.5

Since he has such a small stack, I should have just called the flop bet in order to give him the opportunity to second barrel me and still have the opportunity to go allin on the turn or river, am I correct?
  • 4 replies
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      If he really has such a small stack, maybe you shouldn't even call his raise PF.

As played I'd lead out myself on the flop. Against a short stack I think it's OK to check/call and reevaluate on the turn... but I definetely don't like check/raising here, it just gives away the strength of your hand.
    • cindy1985
      cindy1985
      Bronze
      I called because of the other player involved but I agree it was close.

For the raise I knew it was a bad idea the instant I clicked the raise button :) I forgot he had such a small stack... but if he had a larger stack I think I had to raise (to increase the size of the pot) even though it gives away the strength of my hand, don't you think?
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cindy1985
      ..if he had a larger stack I think I had to raise (to increase the size of the pot) even though it gives away the strength of my hand, don't you think?
      I agree you should try to increase the size of the pot, but by check/raising you make it difficult for your opponent to stay in the hand if he's got an Ace or a King.

That's why I like donk betting the flop. If he has an Ace, a King or a flush draw, I don't think he's giving up his hand too easily. IMO he'll at least call, maybe even raise you.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      The preflop call is fine with the other (I assume fullstacked) player. On the flop, since he is so short, you can just call and let him bet again on the turn. Donkbet/shove would also be possible, but if he just has KQ or lower, you probably won't get any action.
      Check/raising will lose you value from weak Aces - if they fold- but will protect against the occasional draw. imo there isn't a big difference between all options, it really depends on reads: against a very aggro opponent I might donkbet small to induce a raise; against a TAG I'd check/raise, since he's going broke anyway with AJ+ (since all that beats him really is A7 and 77) and a heart on the turn could kill the action, etc. Against an unknown I guess check/call is best though.

Regards,
      Craig