Moving on up

• Knyght
      Knyght
      Bronze
      So after restarting my poker "career" over the last month or two I've managed to get myself from about $40 to $107 today. Great! I can move up to NL4.

But at the same time... I kind of feel like, although my game has much improved now than it was before, around $35 - $40 of that I got over the last week or so on what might just be a lucky run. I'm not sure I've really played enough to move up yet.

On the other hand... I have heard than NL4 is pretty much the same as NL2. And well, I'm rolled for it, so why not?

However... It's a bit scary. Double my profits compared to before, but also double my potential losses. I have to get to new betsizes and other such rubbish excuses, I'll likely have stats on less of my opponents, though usually it doesn't take many hands to notice idiots at this level.

I dunno, I think I'm just being nervous/unsure of myself.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Well done Knyght!

I am currently in the exact same position as you :D

I recently started playing NL2 Zoom and although I started with a bigger bankroll I now have more than enough to play NL5.

Thing is though I've only played 16k hands and I don't really think that is enough experience. If you are not 100% happy with YOUR game then I wouldn't move up!

Why you may ask?

Because a mistake at NL2 costs you potentially $2, whilst at NL4 it will cost you $4 and I for sure know which one I'd prefer to lose! At the end of the day though, it is ultimately down to you and your comforts.

How many hands have you played at NL2?
    • Knyght
      Knyght
      Bronze
      I have around 40K hands but they are mostly from the summer when my game sucked and was more breakeven. Since I took a break and started playing again I have around... 15K hands I think.

I think the main thing that has changed in that time is my mental game though, I seem to be much less prone to letting a few bad hands affect me. They still do, but I'm usually over it after a few minutes.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I've decided myself to leave it NL5 for another few weeks. Reasons because although I am probably ready I want to have that bit more experience where it costs less.

There is no need to hurry as the games will still be there in a few weeks time!

What is your bankroll like? How many buy ins do you have for NL5?
    • kotsebotse
      kotsebotse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Knyght
      I have to get to new betsizes and other such rubbish excuses
      You don't have to get used to new bet sizes cause they will be the same in bb. And I do agree that this is rubbish excuses ;)

Because a mistake at NL2 costs you potentially $2, whilst at NL4 it will cost you $4 and I for sure know which one I'd prefer to lose!

Even if you don't consider yourself a very good player, those micros are fish fest and the fishes will most probably make much more mistakes than you do. And when they make a mistake at NL2, you will win $2, whilst at NL4 you will win $4 ;)

Cheers,
      kotsebotse :s_cool:
    • Knyght
      Knyght
      Bronze
      Eventually I've decided to move to NL4 but just be excessively cautious with BRM, maybe throw myself back to NL2 if I have less than 20BI or so.

First session was pretty bad. I realised that there are still plenty of fish around, but many fewer than NL2. Not having stats didn't help. People actually fold in NL4, but there's also a lot more 3betting, but not so much that I want to start 4bet bluffing. Anyway after some struggling I ended up a BI down, which didn't seem too bad.

But second session today was fine really, I endexd up 0.5 BI down but there was a bad beat with a hand, hit the straight, managed to shove all in, villain got full house on river :/ If he didn't I would be 2BI up for 1.5 hours work, and this makes me happy.

So I think I'll stay, though it's still pretty scary.