[NL2-NL10] NL2, fr, 49o

• feverfew
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG+1: $1.70 (VPIP 31, PFR 13, Hands 72)
      MP: $1.59
      MP+1: $3.74
      CO: $2.00
      BTN: $0.80
      SB: $1.91
      Hero (BB): $5.16
      UTG: $2.45

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 4:diamond: 9:heart:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, MP+1 calls $0.02, fold, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.09, 4 players) 9:spade: 2:club: 3:spade:
      Hero bets $0.06, UTG+1 calls $0.06, fold, fold

Turn: ($0.21, 2 players) 9:club:
      Hero bets $0.14, UTG+1 calls $0.14

River: ($0.49, 2 players) T:heart:
      Hero bets $0.38, UTG+1 calls $0.38

Hero shows 4:diamond: 9:heart: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 24%, Flop 20%, Turn 14%)
      UTG+1 shows J:diamond: 9:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 76%, Flop 80%, Turn 86%)
      UTG+1 wins $1.21

I think play is ok.
  • 3 replies
    • DrDunne
      hey feverfew

i think overall you played it okay.

the turn is the most interesting street here. on the flop you hit a pair and bet and i assume you'll only really get 1 street of value here and there could also be arguments to just give up right away when facing so many players on this flop but i think people will call with FDs and other PPs for example.

what is interesting is that ott you not only hit a strong hand but there are now 2 flush draws possible. for this reason i think betting like 0.18/0.19 would be better since they called the flop. but as played its not a huge problem really.

also, on the river what worse will pay you off? true, he could have been chasing a FD and rivered TP. but my preferred line on the river would be to check/call (within reason - if he shoves or makes a massive overbet i'd just fold it). the reason is that he can have busted draws that might bluff if you check. he can also just make a stupid stab with some other random hand. so while you lose to better hands which will have you outkicked or even just raise you, you can still induce a bluff and get more value than when you just bet and he folds all of his busted draws/doesn't bluff.

this is my 2c!
    • Dracsharp
      Flop c/f is an option too, sure we have weak tp but they could have better and oop they will often take this hand from us later.

River i would bet half pot because we are aiming at his middle pockets
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Feverfew,

Preflop: looks fine, we can't really raise this junk

Postflop: As played betting turn and river is fine. What was your plan versus a raise?

I agree here with Dracsharp that with 3 other guys behind our hand is very weak here. Ask yourself what would you do with 88 or 77 in this spot because that's pretty much the same hand.
      However, if villains behind us are not aggressive and we don't have reasons to be afraid of too many floats bet/folding and playing turn is fine.