[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH AQ donk turn

• DrDunne
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $8.25 (82.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $21.05 (210.5 bb)
      BTN: $49.94 (499.4 bb)
      UTG: $7.15 (71.5 bb)
      MP: $13.16 (131.6 bb)
      BB: $10.46 (104.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.19, BB folds

Flop: ($0.58) 8 9 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.98) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BTN folds

$0.98 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 5 K
      Hero mucked Q A and won $0.94 ($0.50 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.44 net)

preflop: villain is 20/15 over 50 hands so seems like a pretty tight thinking player but i expect even the BU range to be reasonably tight. i didn't 3bet since i don't have enough information about how they continue. the SB is 35/28 over ~50 hands, so should i be more inclined to 3bet this to avoid a squeeze?

flop: i dont think villain has to hit this flop much at all besides draws.. more importantly, i expect a thinking player to cbet bigger for value+protection with hands like overpairs and top pairs so i decided to call and see the turn. i don't know if/why checkraising would be good in this spot...

turn: no draw completes but it is a scarecard. i think villain might bluff this with all his SDs and FDs if i check again and so i can't really know where i stand if i check, so his FE would be awesome. i decided to donk because it felt like the perfect card to do so on. i think FE is great on this turn and if raised i can easily dump the hand. if villain calls then... should i have bet bigger? like $0.70 or something?

river: i would barrel if the river was an A, i would give up if the river was a heart or J or 7 or 6 and I would check/call if it was Q of diamonds or clubs assuming villain might bluff his busted draws. is this a good plan?
  • 2 replies
    • Th334

Preflop: I try making my life easier and 3bet AQo OOP versus BU (for value of course). We flop something playable less then 30% of the time, so we really need to have a plan what to do when we don't hit an ace or a queen when we defend passively.

Flop: I'm not really sure, but I think against a tight thinking player it's the right time to "fulfill our preflop plan", as long as we called. If we just give up here every time - it's no good imo.

So we have two options: check/raise flop or float him on the turn. As we know nothing about his c-betting habits, the flop seems good enough for me to check/raise him, especially after such a small CB, as you noted.

Turn: I'm not sure what we are trying to represent with a donk straight after our flop call. And if our line seems weird, we have less FE I guess. I would rather donk on a draw card, but a king seems like helping him more than us.

As for sizing, I think 60% is too little for a bluff, you are right. 70-80% sounds better.

River check-calling on a Qd or c should be fine imo :)
    • BogdanPS
      Hey DrDunne,

Preflop: Looks fine although being deep I can expect villain to call a lot here which means that we can 3-bet for value.

Postflop: As played, if you were to play against a thinking opponent, what are we representing with the donk?

If we expect him to bet that turn with all his range why can't we check/raise there instead of donking?

If we want to bluff this pot I would ck/raise that flop versus his small cbet. He is either attempting a small bluff or trying to induce. And we have quite a few cards that we can continue bluffing on the turn (although I'd prefer a backdoor flush at least).