This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH AQ donk turn

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $8.25 (82.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $21.05 (210.5 bb)
      BTN: $49.94 (499.4 bb)
      UTG: $7.15 (71.5 bb)
      MP: $13.16 (131.6 bb)
      BB: $10.46 (104.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.19, BB folds

Flop: ($0.58) 8 9 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.98) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BTN folds

Results:
      $0.98 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 5 K
      Hero mucked Q A and won $0.94 ($0.50 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.44 net)

preflop: villain is 20/15 over 50 hands so seems like a pretty tight thinking player but i expect even the BU range to be reasonably tight. i didn't 3bet since i don't have enough information about how they continue. the SB is 35/28 over ~50 hands, so should i be more inclined to 3bet this to avoid a squeeze?

flop: i dont think villain has to hit this flop much at all besides draws.. more importantly, i expect a thinking player to cbet bigger for value+protection with hands like overpairs and top pairs so i decided to call and see the turn. i don't know if/why checkraising would be good in this spot...

turn: no draw completes but it is a scarecard. i think villain might bluff this with all his SDs and FDs if i check again and so i can't really know where i stand if i check, so his FE would be awesome. i decided to donk because it felt like the perfect card to do so on. i think FE is great on this turn and if raised i can easily dump the hand. if villain calls then... should i have bet bigger? like $0.70 or something?

river: i would barrel if the river was an A, i would give up if the river was a heart or J or 7 or 6 and I would check/call if it was Q of diamonds or clubs assuming villain might bluff his busted draws. is this a good plan?
  • 2 replies
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop: I try making my life easier and 3bet AQo OOP versus BU (for value of course). We flop something playable less then 30% of the time, so we really need to have a plan what to do when we don't hit an ace or a queen when we defend passively.

Flop: I'm not really sure, but I think against a tight thinking player it's the right time to "fulfill our preflop plan", as long as we called. If we just give up here every time - it's no good imo.

So we have two options: check/raise flop or float him on the turn. As we know nothing about his c-betting habits, the flop seems good enough for me to check/raise him, especially after such a small CB, as you noted.

Turn: I'm not sure what we are trying to represent with a donk straight after our flop call. And if our line seems weird, we have less FE I guess. I would rather donk on a draw card, but a king seems like helping him more than us.

As for sizing, I think 60% is too little for a bluff, you are right. 70-80% sounds better.

River check-calling on a Qd or c should be fine imo :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey DrDunne,

Preflop: Looks fine although being deep I can expect villain to call a lot here which means that we can 3-bet for value.

Postflop: As played, if you were to play against a thinking opponent, what are we representing with the donk?

If we expect him to bet that turn with all his range why can't we check/raise there instead of donking?

If we want to bluff this pot I would ck/raise that flop versus his small cbet. He is either attempting a small bluff or trying to induce. And we have quite a few cards that we can continue bluffing on the turn (although I'd prefer a backdoor flush at least).