[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] 22 blind defense

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $12.48 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 4.1, Hands: 17678
      CO: $6.62 - VPIP: 43, PFR: 3, 3B: 0, AF: 1.4, Hands: 87
      BTN: $12.81 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 12, 3B: 0, AF: 4.0, Hands: 52 -- RFI BU: 100, CBF: 100, CBT: 0
      SB: $12.80 - VPIP: 28, PFR: 17, 3B: 0, AF: 0.6, Hands: 90

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with 2 :heart: 2 :club:
      1 fold, BTN raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 3 :heart: 6 :diamond: 4 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.62) K :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.62) A :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BTN folds

Okay, so our guy loves stealing, so we call.

Flop: Well, I don't really think this flop helped even his range! Plus we have a gutshot, plus he CB a lot, but rarely barrels -- so we call with an intention to pick up the pot later on, or maybe even to win the SD.

Turn: This is an ugly card. I don't expect him to barrel here with anything weaker than a king, so we just check/fold.

River: The river is nasty as well. Now we can't play check/call anymore, there's nothing worse that would bet. Our hand lost a lot of value since flop, so i actually go for bluff on this Ace, with the intention of making anything he flopped fold. He won't fold kings -- but I doubt he has any, and he won't fold Aces most of the time. Still some random 3/4/6 might sneak in here.
  • 4 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      22 is a poor hand to defend in bb against a bu raise. I think fold pre flop is a better option.

However you can consider the following options and situations.

1. Call for set mine against a tight bu open range something like 20%. 50% is too wide for you to have implied odds.

2. 3bet it as a bluff if bu folds to 3bet often enough. If he calls you still can take it away with a cb on the flop or hit your set 12% of the time.

3. Call and check flop in order to take it away on the turn with a bet if he has a very low cb and folds a lot to Donks when bet into. This situation is pretty rare.

If you don't have any of the above or any other good reads you should fold 22 pre flop
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, actually that's exactly what I was looking for. Very concise and informative, thanks! :f_cool:

A question please. If we can't profitably set-mine, 3bet, float, or donk, what pockets would you recommend to fold? I would imagine up to 77, because 88 can at least flop an overpair 50% of the time.

I would also imagine that IP (like CO vs BU) we can call more, since it's easier to extract value if we hit, or to take the pot down unimproved.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Oop vs loose ranges you are right. Fold up to 77.

Ip is a lot different. Since there are so many more ways to win, we can play ALL pocket pairs profitably.

Just go to your Holdem manager and filter by hands where you played bu vs Co and see what hands are profitable and you play those hands. Sample must be big of course.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Nice, thanks.