Strategic move good or not ?

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Lately I've been trying a lot of moves (at NL10) but I'm not sure if they're correct and if they can bring me profit on the long term.
      One of them, which I would be very pleased if the coaches would analyse it, is raising to 4bb from SB (with a pretty wide range) after a player limped in from MP CO or BU. The player in the big blind is very likely to give up his hand (unless he's a fish or a maniac in which case I won't make this move at all) and the player who limped is asked to put 3bb more in the pot with a hand that doesn't signal any strength and will also play without initiative. Limping in and then calling a 4x raise with a mediocre hand seems like a bad play to me. Of course you have the disadvantage of playing out of position if one of the opponents calls, but you can still donk as a contibet on most of the flops being the aggressor.
  • 5 replies
    • ThePirateSword
      ThePirateSword
      Global
      do it even higher, 5x, 6x it depends how much they let you. the thing it's that if they fold and you do that with a hand lke KXs you're running hot , because the expected winrate with this hands are lower then 1bb ( not manny hands are higher then 1bb)
    • ThePirateSword
      ThePirateSword
      Global
      also do it from all position
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Stevie8
      The player in the big blind is very likely to give up his hand (unless he's a fish or a maniac
      Or unless he has a hand he wants to play against you in position.

If you make your move enough, he will catch on, realize what you are doing, and make HIS play.

Like PirateSword says -- do it.
      As long as they fold, you're printing money.

Have an exit plan for when they 3Bet or call. Limp/Call is often pocket pair.

Be sure to post hands in the hand evaluation forums -- the coaches will be happy to analyse them for you.
    • ThePirateSword
      ThePirateSword
      Global
      they won't adjust that much, if they start calling they still have a wide range sow you can value bet thiner , and you can CB dry boards all day, if they start 3betting it's a bit tricky but you still can stack off QQ+ AK and call TT JJ AQ, and if they keep limp/3bet just adjust your ranges wider
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Stevie8!

I've moved your thread to the No Limit forums. There are more coaches lurking around here ;)

About the hand in the SB. I don't really like Isolating with a wide range in the SB. Thing is that he is very likely to be a fish, fish don't like to fold. So you're going to have to 3 barrel a lot of times I'm afraid. I rather play it IP.

Regards

RasTweet