[NL2-NL10] KQo river donk

• gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $7.37 (73.7 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $9.40 (94 bb)
      MP: $16.41 (164.1 bb)
      CO: $8.30 (83 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($0.70) 2 K T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.70) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.15, SB calls $1.15

River: ($4.00) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero calls $2

wasnt sure about river, thought he could have busted FD/SD and is just trying to steal. OR has a strong hand and doesnt want a check back on the river.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey GxTwo,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: What do we know about villain? He seems shorter and thus most likely a recreational player.

Since this board is really connected we should be bigger for value versus weaker opponents (fishy guys).

As played I would just call the river. His bet is either a block bet (with Tx, JJ, QQ, Kx) or a hand like QJ. It could also be a cheap bluff.

Our call only has to work 25% of the time and I think we are good here often. Raising may be a bit thin with no info.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hey GxTwo,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: What do we know about villain? He seems shorter and thus most likely a recreational player.

Since this board is really connected we should be bigger for value versus weaker opponents (fishy guys).
      Can we just go pot here then on the flop? and like 2/3 OTT? with the plan of folding to any resistance?

As played I would just call the river. His bet is either a block bet (with Tx, JJ, QQ, Kx) or a hand like QJ. It could also be a cheap bluff.

Our call only has to work 25% of the time and I think we are good here often. Raising may be a bit thin with no info.
      I thought it would most likely be some kind of block bet, or busted draw. as i feel he would have raised his stronger hands at some point.

i was planing to bet ~1/2 on the river for value, how do you feel about this?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Close to potting the flop is fine. Remember that ideally we want to look at how we size our bets to maximize value on flop and turn. And since the flop size affects the rest of the hand it starts there and if, for example, the board runs dry we should be able to shove comfortably on the river (without making a larger bet).

Betting 1/2 on river once he checks is fine because he still has some hands he can call with.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      ...... the board runs dry we should be able to shove comfortably on the river (without making a larger bet).
      What weaker hands do you think call a river AI? or do you think from his stack size he is really bad?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by gxtwo
      ...... the board runs dry we should be able to shove comfortably on the river (without making a larger bet).
      What weaker hands do you think call a river AI? or do you think from his stack size he is really bad?
      If you bet close to pot on flop and blank turn how much do you have left on the river, considering we only have 74 BB to start with?

You would have less than a PSB so I would expect him to call Kx, possibly QQ/JJ or Tx.

Since we have no other info (except stack size) I would take that as a sign of a recreational player.