[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH KK - Turn: b/f, x/c, b/c ???

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is unknown

Preflop: I expected villains 3b calling range to be something like 22+,ATs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo

Flop: Not really sure what I planned to do on this flop against a raise. I guess I was just planning to b/3b, being OOP and expect to get it in vs:

AA,QQ-TT,KhKs,9h9s,8d8h,8d8s,8h8s

Board: 9:club: 9:diamond: 8:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    39.43%  37.78%   1.65% { AA, QQ-TT, KhKs, 9h9s, 8d8h, 8d8s, 8h8s }
      SB     60.57%  58.93%   1.65% { KdKc }

I don't think b/c and x/shove or donk turn is a good idea being OOP vs an unknown. If he is known to be aggressive then I might take this line.

Turn: I can obviously b/c, b/f, x/c or x/shove. (obviously x/f is out of the question and b/f is pretty dubious given SPR)

:spade: I think x/shove is the worst line because although it doesn't necessarily turn my hand into a bluff it does isolate it against a much stronger range I think.
      :spade: I think b/f is a possibilty if I think villain only has better made hands, but unless villain has 99/88/JJ or A :club: X then I still have 11 outs (9 :club: and 2 Kx). So I may get the correct odds depending on my bet sizing.
      :spade: In hindisght I think that simply bet/calling would be the best line because we can play for value/protection vs some better flush draws. In addition we may get called or 3b by weaker PP's or draws and we have outs even if we are behind.

I decided to play x/c at the time because I thought that I have a hand that I didn't want to bet/fold and was still strong enough to x/c since I had a draw also. However, I neglect value and protection this way and give weaker hands the opportunity to x/beh and take a free card or get to showdown cheaply.

River: this was a really bad card IMO. I just planned to x/f it.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: $13.76
      BTN: $6.21
      Hero (SB): $5.23
      BB: $5.32
      UTG: $3.58
      MP: $5.40

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:diamond: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, UTG calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 9:diamond: 9:club: 8:club:
      Hero bets $0.46, UTG calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.67, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

River: ($2.77, 2 players) A:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Hero shows K:diamond: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Nines) (Pre 70%, Flop 88%, Turn 95%)
      UTG shows A:spade: K:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 30%, Flop 12%, Turn 5%)
      UTG wins $2.66
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey muel294.

Suppose you bet/call. If you bet $1 (for example) you'd need to have the best hand vs villains shoving range 24% of the time. Against a range of flushes and boats it's debatable you will have that. (I don't see villain shoving a worse pair).

Value betting the turn is still a reasonable option, even though the turn card sucks. Probably you should bet-fold though. The only time you wouldn't bet/fold is if you priced yourself in with a huge value bet, but that doesn't give you a legitimate excuse to bet big here. A smallish value bet would work best, you want to avoid isolating yourself vs only better hands, and thankfully you aren't worried about flush river so much with the Kc.

I think the way you played it is also fine; against some villains best option will be to bet, against others to check. I wouldn't bet/call though, and I wouldn't check-fold unless opponent is really passive or bets huge.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Thanks w34z3l

Just for the record, I think you have an excellent way of explaining things. Very clear to understand and very helpful.

much appreciated.