This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH KK - Turn: b/f, x/c, b/c ???

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is unknown

Preflop: I expected villains 3b calling range to be something like 22+,ATs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo

Flop: Not really sure what I planned to do on this flop against a raise. I guess I was just planning to b/3b, being OOP and expect to get it in vs:

AA,QQ-TT,KhKs,9h9s,8d8h,8d8s,8h8s

Board: 9:club: 9:diamond: 8:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    39.43%  37.78%   1.65% { AA, QQ-TT, KhKs, 9h9s, 8d8h, 8d8s, 8h8s }
      SB     60.57%  58.93%   1.65% { KdKc }

I don't think b/c and x/shove or donk turn is a good idea being OOP vs an unknown. If he is known to be aggressive then I might take this line.

Turn: I can obviously b/c, b/f, x/c or x/shove. (obviously x/f is out of the question and b/f is pretty dubious given SPR)

:spade: I think x/shove is the worst line because although it doesn't necessarily turn my hand into a bluff it does isolate it against a much stronger range I think.
      :spade: I think b/f is a possibilty if I think villain only has better made hands, but unless villain has 99/88/JJ or A :club: X then I still have 11 outs (9 :club: and 2 Kx). So I may get the correct odds depending on my bet sizing.
      :spade: In hindisght I think that simply bet/calling would be the best line because we can play for value/protection vs some better flush draws. In addition we may get called or 3b by weaker PP's or draws and we have outs even if we are behind.

I decided to play x/c at the time because I thought that I have a hand that I didn't want to bet/fold and was still strong enough to x/c since I had a draw also. However, I neglect value and protection this way and give weaker hands the opportunity to x/beh and take a free card or get to showdown cheaply.

River: this was a really bad card IMO. I just planned to x/f it.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: $13.76
      BTN: $6.21
      Hero (SB): $5.23
      BB: $5.32
      UTG: $3.58
      MP: $5.40

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:diamond: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, UTG calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 9:diamond: 9:club: 8:club:
      Hero bets $0.46, UTG calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.67, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

River: ($2.77, 2 players) A:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Hero shows K:diamond: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Nines) (Pre 70%, Flop 88%, Turn 95%)
      UTG shows A:spade: K:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 30%, Flop 12%, Turn 5%)
      UTG wins $2.66
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey muel294.

Suppose you bet/call. If you bet $1 (for example) you'd need to have the best hand vs villains shoving range 24% of the time. Against a range of flushes and boats it's debatable you will have that. (I don't see villain shoving a worse pair).

Value betting the turn is still a reasonable option, even though the turn card sucks. Probably you should bet-fold though. The only time you wouldn't bet/fold is if you priced yourself in with a huge value bet, but that doesn't give you a legitimate excuse to bet big here. A smallish value bet would work best, you want to avoid isolating yourself vs only better hands, and thankfully you aren't worried about flush river so much with the Kc.

I think the way you played it is also fine; against some villains best option will be to bet, against others to check. I wouldn't bet/call though, and I wouldn't check-fold unless opponent is really passive or bets huge.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Thanks w34z3l

Just for the record, I think you have an excellent way of explaining things. Very clear to understand and very helpful.

much appreciated.