[NL2-NL10] nl10 QTs

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      villain is pretty much unknown but given the open sizing i guess he could be a weaker opponent. my initial thoughts were to either squeeze or fold preflop but i thought since im getting such good odds i'll just call and see.

on the flop i don't want to let their draws barrel me off so i decided to donk out which i'm not sure about.. i know it looks strong into two but i doubt villain will be thinking about that and if BU raises i would probably fold since he looks like he could be set mining. i know people don't give much credit to donkbets either so i thought i could be called light, but the problem is i didn't plan what i would do if i got raised.

on the river i didn't think i would get any more value from a weaker hand after firing 3 so i decided to check. when villain bet almost the size of the pot i was a little unsure but there is a busted SD and a busted FD as well as any other air-hands he really didn't wanna fold to a donkbet. is it spew? i just think he'd raise his TP vs a donkbet so i doubt i'm behind vs something like KQ or AQ for example

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $10.90 (109 bb)
      SB: $14.73 (147.3 bb)
      CO: $14.95 (149.5 bb)
      MP: $9.19 (91.9 bb)
      BTN: $19.99 (199.9 bb)
      UTG: $11.92 (119.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T Q
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.20, CO folds, BTN calls $0.20, SB folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.65) 5 Q 9 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP calls $0.40, BTN folds

Turn: ($1.45) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, MP calls $0.90

River: ($3.25) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $3.09, Hero calls $3.09

Results:
      $9.43 pot ($0.47 rake)
      Final Board: 5 Q 9 3 2
      Hero showed T Q and won $8.96 ($4.37 net)
      MP showed T J and lost (-$4.59 net)
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I don't mind calling preflop with our hand here.

On the flop I think donking looks good.
      There are quite a few draws on the flop and we can take value from worse here.

Betting the turn is good as well.

On the river check/calling looks reasonable.
      If we think about it, I expect him to raise his sets and probably strong Qs so I don't think he could have much to value bet here and all the draws miss.
      Also, I don't think he'd bet this much with QJ or KQ for example, so I think check/calling is good here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      Originally posted by kymupa
      On the river check/calling looks reasonable.
      If we think about it, I expect him to raise his sets and probably strong Qs so I don't think he could have much to value bet here and all the draws miss.
      Also, I don't think he'd bet this much with QJ or KQ for example, so I think check/calling is good here.
      i think this is a really good point and i missed it while playing the hand... didn't think much about it when making my river decision. if i did i probably snapcall it :D

so what would your plan be if you donk the flop? i mean can we really donk/fold because people don't like to believe donks and it's really standard to just raise it... also, if i expect him to float then would you ever consider check calling twice from the turn to get him to spew? i mean we do stop protecting our hand but at the same time he probably folds a ton of his range to a 2nd barrel but if checked to then it's a great opportunity for him to bet and he might continue on a blank river if we check again. what do you think?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well yeah, if I get raised on the flop I'm definitely folding here.

If you expect him to float you a lot (which is pretty unlikely to do with air since you donk on this board and he has a player behind) check/calling both turn and river might make sense.

Without information I'd just bet the turn as well.