This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl10 QTs

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      villain is pretty much unknown but given the open sizing i guess he could be a weaker opponent. my initial thoughts were to either squeeze or fold preflop but i thought since im getting such good odds i'll just call and see.

on the flop i don't want to let their draws barrel me off so i decided to donk out which i'm not sure about.. i know it looks strong into two but i doubt villain will be thinking about that and if BU raises i would probably fold since he looks like he could be set mining. i know people don't give much credit to donkbets either so i thought i could be called light, but the problem is i didn't plan what i would do if i got raised.

on the river i didn't think i would get any more value from a weaker hand after firing 3 so i decided to check. when villain bet almost the size of the pot i was a little unsure but there is a busted SD and a busted FD as well as any other air-hands he really didn't wanna fold to a donkbet. is it spew? i just think he'd raise his TP vs a donkbet so i doubt i'm behind vs something like KQ or AQ for example

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $10.90 (109 bb)
      SB: $14.73 (147.3 bb)
      CO: $14.95 (149.5 bb)
      MP: $9.19 (91.9 bb)
      BTN: $19.99 (199.9 bb)
      UTG: $11.92 (119.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T Q
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.20, CO folds, BTN calls $0.20, SB folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.65) 5 Q 9 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP calls $0.40, BTN folds

Turn: ($1.45) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, MP calls $0.90

River: ($3.25) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $3.09, Hero calls $3.09

Results:
      $9.43 pot ($0.47 rake)
      Final Board: 5 Q 9 3 2
      Hero showed T Q and won $8.96 ($4.37 net)
      MP showed T J and lost (-$4.59 net)
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I don't mind calling preflop with our hand here.

On the flop I think donking looks good.
      There are quite a few draws on the flop and we can take value from worse here.

Betting the turn is good as well.

On the river check/calling looks reasonable.
      If we think about it, I expect him to raise his sets and probably strong Qs so I don't think he could have much to value bet here and all the draws miss.
      Also, I don't think he'd bet this much with QJ or KQ for example, so I think check/calling is good here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      On the river check/calling looks reasonable.
      If we think about it, I expect him to raise his sets and probably strong Qs so I don't think he could have much to value bet here and all the draws miss.
      Also, I don't think he'd bet this much with QJ or KQ for example, so I think check/calling is good here.
      i think this is a really good point and i missed it while playing the hand... didn't think much about it when making my river decision. if i did i probably snapcall it :D

so what would your plan be if you donk the flop? i mean can we really donk/fold because people don't like to believe donks and it's really standard to just raise it... also, if i expect him to float then would you ever consider check calling twice from the turn to get him to spew? i mean we do stop protecting our hand but at the same time he probably folds a ton of his range to a 2nd barrel but if checked to then it's a great opportunity for him to bet and he might continue on a blank river if we check again. what do you think?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well yeah, if I get raised on the flop I'm definitely folding here.

If you expect him to float you a lot (which is pretty unlikely to do with air since you donk on this board and he has a player behind) check/calling both turn and river might make sense.

Without information I'd just bet the turn as well.