[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] 9Ts SB vs BU

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2060610
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $5.00 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 4, AF: 4.3, Hands: 181 -- RFI BU: 40(10), F3B: 25(4)(
      Hero (SB): $7.52 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 4.1, Hands: 19117
      BB: $3.79 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 26
      UTG: $5.58 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 13, 3B: 5, AF: 5.0, Hands: 133
      MP: $6.11 - VPIP: 12, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 0.5, Hands: 42
      CO: $5.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 18, 3B: 20, AF: 4.5, Hands: 61

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with 9 :diamond: T :diamond:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) 8 :club: 6 :diamond: 2 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, BTN calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.35) A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, BTN calls $1.50

River: ($5.35) J :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.35, Hero folds

Preflop: I don't reall have a good enough sample size to say whether he folds to 3B a lot or not really. Should I just call in such case? We seem to be able to float this guy if we call: he CB 90 and 2B 30.

He doesn't seem like a calling station, so I semi-bluff the flop, he calls. I wouldn't normally barrel here, since he's most likely connected on a flop, but here comes an ace. Although if he was drawing with a NFD, it's kinda a bad card to barrel.

Is my turn barrel good? If I checked, I don't think I can call, because my FD might be dominated.
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: Fine, you are in SB and your default strategy should be to 3bet as opposed to calling.

Flop: I think check/raise Flop is a good option, This is a board where we should be check/folding a fair bit and I expect him to stab the Flop a lot when checked to. We can just raise the Flop and shove any Turn card.

But betting is the "standard" line. It's fine.

Turn: Standard scare card and we have so much equity in the hand anyway. What I don't like about the Turn is your bet sizing. You left yourself without room to bluff the river - You already put in 2.60 so you are left with 2.40 (a <half pot bet). It's really easy for him to herocall you on the River with such great odds.

I would bet $1 on the turn, so that there will be more money left behind giving us more options on the River (we can choose to 3barrel or not).

I basically like shoving river very often if we expect villain to fold AJ and AQ on the Flop a lot, cos we rep an Ace really well and I expect villain to fold his 99 TT 89s hands
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Awesome! I love the idea of c-r flop / shoving turn. I think only sets might continue, and we have outs against these!

However, I'm afraid I might screw up things a bit, following your advice.

I understand why we c-r in contrast to contibetting, but could you please tell me more about our turn-shove reasoning...so I don't shove every turn with a draw from now on, you know :f_biggrin:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Well with so much equity with our combodraw (25% vs most hands) on the Turn, shoving Turn can never be a huge mistake. We can represent some overpairs for sure with this line and we don't need villain to fold all that often.

Basically we play for stacks and put a lot of pressure on villain. I don't like checkraising Flop just to checkfold or c/c the Turn. It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway after checkraising Flop the stack to pot ratio allows for shoving. I don't think you get to shove every turn with draws (like in this case after you bet the Flop) cos there is still so much money left behind so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

But in general I usually barrel Turns as long as I have a flush draw
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Okay, got it!

Cheers! I'm about to kick some fish asses on NL5 with my new knowledge :f_cool: :f_cool: