My goals challenges and mishaps.

• nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      First I a bit about myself. I have been playing poker for a few years now. I started playing because I needed something to take away focus from emotions. It seems to be the only thing that can accomplish that. This past year my passion for poker has grown. Mostly because I didn't have the time to play.

Last year my total games on stars was 365. You can't do well playing so little and when you do play you just don't have the confidence as what you learn doesn't retain and you can't fill your leaks. So I am starting back from the very start, with 18 mans.

I am going to use this blog to keep track of my goals, improvements, failures and next steps.

My poker goals for this month:

1. Play 1k 18-man 3.50 sit n gos.
      2. Work my way up to 12 tables.

I started off the month at four tables. I have been able to work my way up to 9 tables comfortably. Was going to post my graph but couldn't figure out how that worked. :)
  • 9 replies
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Silver
      Ok, nice story but you have left some parts out:

- bankroll management - how many buy ins / when to move up or down...
      - training - what are you going to do to improve, e.g. Watch 2 videos a month / read X amount of articles / sit in on coaching
      - mental game - how often you find yourself tilting, is this a major issue?
      - goals - e.g. Where you want to be 6 months / 1-2 years from now

I believe setting goals is important because once you have played 1k tourneys, where do you go from there? I did something similar a year or two back and ended up wasting my time because I had no goals, just trying to help you not make the same mistake :)
    • nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rick21
      Ok, nice story but you have left some parts out:

- bankroll management - how many buy ins / when to move up or down...
      - training - what are you going to do to improve, e.g. Watch 2 videos a month / read X amount of articles / sit in on coaching
      - mental game - how often you find yourself tilting, is this a major issue?
      - goals - e.g. Where you want to be 6 months / 1-2 years from now

I believe setting goals is important because once you have played 1k tourneys, where do you go from there? I did something similar a year or two back and ended up wasting my time because I had no goals, just trying to help you not make the same mistake :)
      Oh thanks for the reply. :)

Bankroll management: The thought of having to move down from this level actually never even crossed my mind. But now that you mentioned it let's fill that in.

I started with a bankroll of $200 that is 57 buyins. Moving up to $7 games fully will be when I reach both 12 tables comfortably and have 90 buyin. I will be mixing them in when I have 70 buyins at starting with a 6:1 ratio.

Dropping down: I will drop down to 90 buyins for the level below.

Training: I already read a lot of forums. I have a few sessions left with a great sitngo coach. I am looking for someone to go over hands and situations with. Playing with sitngo wizard at the end of sessions always.

Mental game: Do I tilt. ofc. but not like most people. I don't tilt because of card or suckouts. I tilt when I know I am playing bad or when I get emotional from non poker reasons. I run my sessions for about an 1h/1.5hs only adding in That is why 18mans are actually perfect for me right now.

Long time goals: This month is to move up to $7 games but right now I need to focus on beating the game and moving up to a level that I can project these. I need to figure out what is realistic for me. So putting a money value on it right now is premature. Next month I will be increasing my games. I just want to get a basic idea of where I am at before I create goals that are unrealistic for me at this time.
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Silver
      Fair enough mate, best of luck at the tables :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, nutbreakerla
      Nice to have a new blogger!

I see you're still basic member though.

Once you pass the quiz you'll be a bronze member and a lot more articles and videos are available to you.

If you register with one of our affiliated poker rooms, then as you accumulate strategy points, you will move up through silver and gold, and at each stage more becomes available.

You seem to have things pretty well organised as it is though...

Best of luck at the tables!
      --VS
    • nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      Thanks just did the quiz. :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Good work!

You're on your way, then.

onwards and upwards...
      --VS
    • nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      I was doing fairly well until I posted this blog. I was feeling pretty confident in my game and since the blog post I have not been doing so well. I took a semi break this weekend and only played a few hours. Mostly because I didn't feel up to it. I think this will be my largest challenge in my goals.

I am pretty open about the fact that I have challenges. One of them being depression and social anxiety. Most people will have this for a small period of time, I on the other have been like this my whole life. This was one of those kind of weekends that I couldn't think straight. It is also what lead me to start playing poker in the first place. So it isn't all bad, just a hiccup every so often. Poker helps me to try to think logically and makes me focus. It also has made me more interested about the mental side of everything. That is one positive thing I see on this forum. A lot about the mental thinking side of it and I am really hoping to gain from it.

I am not a as novice as a player as it comes across. I have a fairly solid background in poker and am just wanting to get back into it. This is just my starting point.
    • nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      I had a little bit of a downswing, but thankfully I am not one of those ppl that just go "variance" and am honest with myself enough to know that I was playing bad. I took a few days and looked over some stuff, did a coaching session and started to find some people to talk to about 18mans.

I have about 550 games to go for the rest of the month to make my goal of 1k games. I think it is 100% doable at this point. I'm still only at 8 tables but am still trying to add in tables. Any advice on how to do this would be great.

Things I've learned and adjusted: I was risking to much, afraid of playing players that flatted with odd chipstacks. And some pretty bad blind on blind play.

Below is my graph for 3.50 18-mans so far in Jan.

• nutbreakerla
      nutbreakerla
      Bronze
      Well, I failed my goal.
      Half way into the month I thought for sure that playing 1k games was going to be a cakewalk. It wasn't I didn't go broke or anything. However I did not finish the games.

Here is where I went wrong. I didn't follow a schedule. So I played just when I felt like it. I was planning on playing 30 games a day but that slowly was missed.

The first half of the month I just watched videos and had one coaching session. I always feel my best and want to play after these sessions. So I did feel good about how I was playing and wanted to work on my game more.

So I found some people to go over a few hand histories with me. That is when things started to not work out for me. I really think it is a confidence issue with me. I'm wondering if anyone else has this type of problem when they talk to people about their game. I feel like I start to second guess myself and I can't seem to shake it. I get frustrated and just don't want to play. I also feel that no matter how much I work on poker this will always be my downfall. So if any of you mindset style people have any advice please do tell.

I started watching a few of the coaching sessions on here and am hoping that it helps.

Below is where I ended the month for $3.50 18-mans

Goals for February are the same as January. Hopefully this time I complete it.