[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH AK cold 4bet

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      this was an interesting hand to me. i understand that we can't 4bet/fold with a hand like this...

CO is 23/15 an folds 100% to 3bets over 100 hands. BU is 22/14 and 3bets 4.5% over 60 hands. although my samples are next to nothing, i can pretty safely say both are on the tighter side...

is folding even out of the question here? i thought it was at the time but im sure i'll only get action when i'm behind... might be nitty so i'm not sure :D

if i call, im now postflop and OOP vs at least 1 person in a 3bet pot. not only that but they aren't exactly fish given their stats, and so it's not like i can make up my positional disadvantage through a skill edge and i can't be too sure in the strength of my hand. i think calling here is just calling to hit.

if i 4bet, my line is REALLY strong and i almost feel like im over-repping my hand - i don't think people cold 4bet as a bluff in this spot ever at nl10 (maybe some but not enough to care to find out). so given that im against thinking players and i cold 4bet, which will obviously be perceived to be QQ+ and AK if not just KK+ what should i do in this spot?

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $30.59 (305.9 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (SB): $18.45 (184.5 bb)
      UTG: $11.40 (114 bb)
      MP: $2.75 (27.5 bb)
      BTN: $12.15 (121.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, BTN raises to $0.90, Hero raises to $2.35, 3 folds

Results:
      $2.20 pot
      Hero mucked A K and won $2.20 ($1.30 net)
  • 4 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I like your play here.
      It's CO vs BU situation so I expect BU to 3bet a lot so folding is way too weak.
      If we call here we will have to play OOP without the initiative and we will have hard time playing.
      If we 4bet here though, we are also having the opportunity to just pick up the dead money in the pot.
      About the sizing - considering that we are OOP and a little bit deep, I might go for around $2.6-$2.7 here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      what do you think about 4bet/folding here? i know it's generally not good to 4bet/fold with AK here but since these guys are quite tight (i don't even know if they will be going out of their way to 3bet IP a lot to exploit people folding) i assume once i get action i'm dead. i have like 39% vs QQ+ and AK and even vs my extremely strong line + their tightness im not even sure they would stack off with QQ and AK (maybe that's wrong). this is the best hand that i would fold and so it should go into my 4bet-bluffing range right? even tho i never get any better hands to fold.. i also never get value from weaker hands so i should "bluff" with it. what do you think?
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      although my samples are next to nothing, i can pretty safely say both are on the tighter side...

If you look at the number of hands where a 3B situation occurred you might change your mind :) F.e. what is 100% Fold to 3B? 1/1 or 3/3? Does it really pretty safely tell us that he is on the tighter side? Even a complete maniac will fold 3 hands in a row to 3Bs pretty often.

what do you think about 4bet/folding here?

Haha, yeah, that's pretty funny, because if you had 72o in this spot, it would do a little worse just because it has no blockers :)

I never 4bet AKo for value against regs, and you assumption that they won't 5bet-shove without KK+ most of the time is close to the truth. They might jam queens and AK, but you need to have a loose image, and this is not the case if you don't 4bet here often. Not like it would change your equity significantly anyways :)

@Plamen, could we actually do it with 72o? Given a tight image and regs against us. Not in theory, but the next time I'll see this at my table :f_biggrin: If you showed them 72o afterwards, I guarantee that your next monster would be payed off at least with two other stacks :) I believe that Tom Dwan does it every time he has 72o, haha.

No, seriously, could we?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well yeah, if you don't expect them to jam worse hands I see no problem 4bet/folding here.

Problem with doing that with 72o is that they don't play just shove or fold, but do tend to call quite often and then 72o plays pretty crappy postflop.