Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:club: 8:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.4 BB, 2 players) J:spade: 8:heart: 9:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets 3.12 BB, BB calls 3.12 BB

Turn: (10.64 BB, 2 players) Q:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (10.64 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets 4 BB, BB calls 4 BB

2 hands on him, once he called 9 high board and donked pot size on blank turn (my previous post)

Is bet/fold river ok? Because he would bet himself with Tx.
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

What hands are u trying to get value from?
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      any Jx, 8x, 9x,77 missed fd which improved on river or turn, Qx. I assume he is fish and will call small bet very light. He called here with JK.
      I agree it is very thin value, and there are not many hands weaker that call, but still he showed weakness so I am not afraid much of straight or flush.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think it could be fine vs a fish who plays really straightforwardly (assuming he always leads the river with straights). He needs to be super loose like in this case where he never folds JX and QX. If he always folds one pair hands then you cannot value bet here.

Against a reg I'm never really expecting him to call with too much worse so I will just check back.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      I had 2 hands on him, so cant conclude if he is regg or fish.

If villian is so unknown, can I assume he is a fish because there are around 70-80% fish in total in NL25 and take this line?
      Also I can assume that regg would not call me from blinds when I open 2BB from BTN, but 3bet almost with whole range?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1) "regs will 3bet whole range"

this is a very untrue statement. The smaller the bet size, the more one should be calling as opposed to 3betting. If you open 3BB, I would be more inclined to 3bet you

a. more dead money to steal
      b. worse odds to call

The converse is true. So I'm not sure why you are getting the idea that regs 3bet their entire range vs your 2BB open

2) I think given the previous hand where he donked, it is likelier that he is a fish

3) How many tables is he playing on? First time seeing him at your limit? That makes it likelier for him to be a fish.

I still think river is very thin, and we are barely ahead of his calling range. So definitely have to bet <50% pot. The reason why I am a little concerned about betting river is that we have bottom 2, which loses to some straights (if he plays passively with them) and all the higher 2 pairs, which I am assuming he has many combos of.

We are also not entirely sure whether he calls with one pair hands or not (you are just hoping that he does).

I will lean towards betting slightly smaller, like 30% pot to ensure that we keep his entire range in and make him more inclined to make crying calls.