The loose passive adventures of a gutshot peeler (NL Cash Heads UP)

• xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      -----=== MY HU BLOG ===-----

New game, new blog... same update frequency :D :D (hopefully not)

Intro:
      So far I've played about 50k hands HU, i think (don't know for sure). Managed to burn my hard drive 3 times for the last 3 months), so don't have all of my stats, just end of june/july

Graph:

Well, I think im steadily progressing) The tough point about HU, is the absense of objective feedback) But i am doing my best to become a better coach for myself :D In fact, i've turned my life inside up))
      Quit smoking, started excersizing, changed sleeping/eating patterns (finnaly, i sleep at night :P ) - all to get more energy to study) I am spending around 10h per day around the game) So progress is coming... (hopefully)))

Im definitely moving to NL 100 by the end of july
      And will fire myself if i am not reaching NL 600 (at least) by the end of the year))

So keep watching me) I promise at least weekly updates)
  • 15 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Nice goals. I am sure you will reach them due to your commitment to this game.
      Good luck!
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      aha I just started HU, and I will be following that blog asiduously !
      If you have time, maybe you could tell me what you think of a HU short match against a maniac (I posted it in my blog, but maybe you don't read it or didn't see it, as it was in some tl;dr kinda post)
      http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?p=5050515#post5050515

luv the title too. show me some nice J high calls :P
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      If you have time, maybe you could tell me what you think of a HU short match against a maniac

you got some descent feedback there
      limp/call - is the adjustment i make against aggro fishes) 4betting doesn't make much sense. Its way better to limp/call hands like A8o, then bet/call 3bet.
      It may sound a bit silly for sh player, but that's exactly how you play aggro fishes - limp/call BU and watch him beting out his stack with all kind of crap)

however, i prefer to avoid them) the varience is just too high and things get really ugly when you get deeper) I prefer loose/passives (just like me :P )

btw, nice idea of a replayer... ps has to make smthing like this
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Update :D

Moved to NL 100 3 days ago) So far down 1 stack or so...
      Decided to take a bit more aggressive brm on the lower limits. Was going to move up with 40-45 stacks, but eventually figured out 30-35 is totally fine. W/o tilting too much and having an adequate stop loss, should work just fine.
      So far my FTP bankroll is 3.3k. Going to start taking shots on NL 200 from 5-6k or smthing. Still not sure if I am going to deposit more in August, since my study plan is kinda long and I am not going to move up until i learn everything i've planned. Its a bit challenging to play 6-7 p/day and then study for another 3-5) Comprehension lacks, of course, but its fine, I have all the time in the world))
      For now I have to finish loose/passive video series (on crunners) and planning to re-watch them again, even though i feel like i learned them by heart.
      Next im going to do some math on 3bet/4bet ranges and frequency and watch corresponding vidz. I've even found my calculator for that) it was covered with dust)

Anyway, I am probably going to record NL 100 HU vid on the weekend. I also figured out how to reduce video quality in camtasia, so this one will be 50-70mb (not 390 :D )

And 1 funny hand :D I lost only 2 stacks, he had 3 when i came, but he was running ultra hot, so I was about to quit (4th h of playing)
      before this happend)

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      2 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      BTN ($595.00)
      Hero ($137.10)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 2 players) Hero is BB 9:spade: 9:diamond:
      BTN raises to $34, Hero goes all-in $137.10, BTN calls $103.10

Flop: 8:spade: 8:heart: K:heart: ($274.20, 2 players)

Turn: 5:club: ($274.20, 2 players)

River: 6:heart: ($274.20, 2 players)

Final Pot: $274.20
      Hero shows: 9:spade: 9:diamond:
      BTN shows: 2:club: 5:spade:

Hero wins $273.70 ( won +$136.60 )
      BTN lost -$137.10

Mhh, he gave me reasons to play it like that, however, now I think its pretty marginal)
      But at that point i thought its the most profitable move i've ever made (before i actually shoved)
      And that's kind of a problem) When you aren't running good, you become sort of subjective about your reads and overvalue them, missing other important points...

However, it ended up fine)

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      2 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      Hero ($525.95)
      BB ($174.55)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 2 players) Hero is BTN K:diamond: T:club:
      Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $9, Hero calls $6

Flop: T:spade: 9:diamond: 5:heart: ($18, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: 4:heart: ($18, 2 players)
      BB bets $33, Hero calls $33

River: K:spade: ($84, 2 players)
      BB bets $48, Hero goes all-in $483.95, BB calls $84.55

Final Pot: $349.10
      Hero shows: K:diamond: T:club:
      BB shows: A:spade: K:club:

Hero wins $700 ( won +$174.05 )
      BB lost -$174.55

Preflop call was a misclick though :D But the rest is fine, he was very specific opponent, with very strange but 100% repeating patterns)
      The other thing i've figured out recently is that its better to put your opp all-in by betting the amount of his stack, not shoving the whole stack

anywayz

good luck and stay tuned :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Nice read :D

River: K:spade: ($84, 2 players)
      BB bets $48, Hero goes all-in $483.95, BB calls $84.55
      Doesn't this makes you pay more rake as if you would have bet $150 to make him go All-in anyway?

Keep up !
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Doesn't this makes you pay more rake as if you would have bet $150 to make him go All-in anyway?

mhh
      I have no clue :D
      Rake was never an issue for me, I just don't think about it)
      but it might be the case
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      you actualy should think ALOT about rake at low stakes HU ... because it is a big sum of money actualy
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by srohack
      you actualy should think ALOT about rake at low stakes HU ... because it is a big sum of money actualy
      :D OK
      From now I will find some time to think exclusively about the rake
      On a DAILY basis :D
      hope it will make me a better player)
      HU rake on FTP is pretty low, that's what i've heard from Russian HU coach
      and it seems like that, because i play a lot, but can't reach even gold status on FTP)

Pushing the whole stack is unreasonable anyway, so im not gonna do it again)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Originally posted by srohack
      :D OK
      From now I will find some time to think exclusively about the rake
      On a DAILY basis :D
      hope it will make me a better player)
      HU rake on FTP is pretty low, that's what i've heard from Russian HU coach
      and it seems like that, because i play a lot, but can't reach even gold status on FTP)

Pushing the whole stack is unreasonable anyway, so im not gonna do it again)
      o_O I heard that's where it's worst, at least NL100 and below...anyway, pushing more than your opponents stack (say, pushing 400$ when he has only 50$) will not result in more rake. They rake the final pot, i.e subtract the extra 350$ in this example, and then take rake.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Well at least they are fair than to 'tax' the final pot instead of the whole lumpsum. :D
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout

o_O I heard that's where it's worst, at least NL100 and below...
      I don't know... I don't have much options anyway... And I love ftp) Besides, I am not going to spend a lot of time grinding NL 100 anyway :) But maybe its different for hu though... i mean rake structure. + 27% rakeback

However, with a new upgrade of PT3, which allows to collect 30 observed hands from the table (and display hud) on Pokerstars, I am going to give it a try
      because it allows table selection
      + there are more games running on ps and those are faster
      Btw, is it possible to have Euro account on PS? guess not :(
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Pokersites never rake uncalled bets on any street, so overpushing is just returned rakefree.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Pokersites never rake uncalled bets on any street, so overpushing is just returned rakefree.
      except ongame :P

nice ownage xylere, i am looking forward to youe video
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hello people)

Sorry for no updates) unfortunately, i am extremely busy right now, due to moving to a different country)
      And seems like things are not going to change until September)

i know i promised some vidz and I will do them if things will get any softer) But for now i have to postpone it...(

Ofc i have some free time, but i dedicate all of it to grinding) since i need moneyz))

Overall, im doing quite well on nl 200) smthing like 13bb/100 for now (pokerstarz)) with proper table selection it is still soft)
      But i can't afford variance now, so i am going to stick to nl 200 till the end of the summer and probably even longer

good luck
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      update?