[NL2-NL10] [NL2] A6s vs fish/calling station

• TobZero
      TobZero
      Bronze
      Hey,

i once again lost Stack and am now wondering if i could have done something different:

read on Villian: he has 48/18/0,6/0 after 33hands and is constantly calling with nearly any hand he gets.
      Im playing passive aggresive (folded 95% of my hands before) as the table is full of calling stations and many loose passive players at the table.

My thought process
      - 3bet Villian PF because of his calling/limping habbits
      - raise on Flop for value as i have great odds/pot odds
      - raise for pot on turn to force him to fold so he wont get any cheap card which may make his probably shit hand
      - allin on river to get as much out of him as possible

What i think i could have done different:
      Imho my play before the river was correct but i should have just called on the river after i didnt complete my flush. i had to much in the pot to just fold to his constant checking. In addition the odds that he somehow hits the board at the river are quite high with his possible range.

Hand:

IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $1 (50 bb)
      UTG+2: $3.74 (187 bb)
      MP1: $1.85 (92.5 bb)
      MP2: $1.90 (95 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $2.10 (105 bb)
      CO: $1.17 (58.5 bb)
      BTN: $0.63 (31.5 bb)
      SB: $1.93 (96.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6 A
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.43) 4 K 5 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.21, MP2 calls $0.21

Turn: ($0.85) 9 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.85, MP2 calls $0.85

River: ($2.55) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.84 and is all-in, MP2 calls $0.64 and is all-in

Results:
      $3.83 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: 4 K 5 9 8
      MP2 showed 8 7 and won $3.58 ($1.68 net)
      Hero mucked 6 A and won $0.00 (-$1.90 net)

Regards
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hello TobZero,

A6s is a little thin to 3bet for value in these spots. It's the kind of hand you'd use to 3bet as a bluff generally. When 3betting from these earlier positions it is also important to think about what any players may do behind you.

As played the flop is fine. Seeing as this guy is a huge calling station it's debatable whether you have enough fold-equity to make a turn barrel profitable. It's fine to check the hand down.

Assuming you decide you want to bluff it's useful to think about how your bet sizing will affect stack sizes for the river. The way it's played you are betting 0.85 cents into a pot of $2.55. Villain is never folding anything. In order to leave a decent amount left for a river shove you'd need to bet closer to half-pot on the turn in this scenario.

From a theory point of view there is nothing wrong with 3barrelling your flush-draws like this. Vs a calling station it's usually going to be a big mistake, just give up on the turn and hope to hit.