BTN: $5.96
      SB: $2.93 (UNKNOWN)
      Hero (BB): $5.41
      UTG: $21.10
      MP: $5.33
      CO: $3.41

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with 5 :club: T :spade:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) 2 :club: 3 :club: T :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.40) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB raises to $1.25, Hero raises to $4.90

PF: Attack the weakness, hoping to take it down now or a different street. Opponent seems to be passive, will take this into consideration in later street.

F: Make top pair, no kicker, only wanting to play a small pot since it's absolute value is pretty weak. I guess I could bet to get value from 44-99 and also some overcards which may decide to float but I'm worried that they will put me on a difficult situation on later streets.

T: Turn two pair so I'm happy to raise here since I think I can get value from Tx as well as any A-high or even JJ+ which decided to be tricky pre-flop.

When he raises, I'm a little worried he could have me beat since he seems quite passive so I don't expect him to raise Tx. I guess he could do this with 22, 33, 55 but also JJ-AA which is more probable so I shove.
  • 4 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Raknyo,

Preflop: It's not necessary to take an aggressive line with such weak hands preflop at these limits. It's perfectly ok to check back and hope to hit the flop.

Flop: I'd consider betting immediately for value. You have a decent reason to not bet - but this situation is slightly different from having K5 on K23 in that you want to protect your hand against overcards. Worse pairs and draws may also call. It's true you shouldn't expect to get 3 streets of value unimproved, but you definitely might get 2 against a draw or worse pair.

Turn: Your raise here is good. Worse hands + draws will call. When you get raised you are in a difficult spot. There is a very decent chance your hand is not good. Folding is possibly the best option. It seems unlikely your opponent will have JJ-AA given he completed pf.

Second best option would be calling and hoping to reach showdown as cheaply as possible, and is a better line than shoving.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      SB: $2.93 (UNKNOWN)
      Hero (BB): $5.41

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with 5 :club: T :spade:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) 2 :club: 3 :club: T :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.40) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB raises to $1.25, Hero raises to $4.90

Since my line was weak on flop, could the Unknown not consider I was bluffing with Ace high due to it’s new found equity on the turn. Therefore, I could expect him to protect with worse, {Tx (JJ+*) two overcards + a gutshot} so could find profit in a shove?

*I think my opponent could have JJ-AA since they know on zoom the BB is folding often so he tries to win more than my blind by calling (he has 60BB pre-flop = probable weak/bad player). This was out my range at first but after the villain turned over AK, I guess it is possible.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Raknyo

Since my line was weak on flop, could the Unknown not consider I was bluffing with Ace high due to it’s new found equity on the turn. Therefore, I could expect him to protect with worse, {Tx (JJ+*) two overcards + a gutshot} so could find profit in a shove?

Theoretically if your opponent felt you were bluffing the best option would be for him to flat here, not re-raise. It's true he could be bluffing himself, but the overwhelming majority of the time your opponent is going to have a value hand. 3betting any given street as a bluff is extremely rare at micros.

Originally posted by Raknyo
      *I think my opponent could have JJ-AA since they know on zoom the BB is folding often so he tries to win more than my blind by calling (he has 60BB pre-flop = probable weak/bad player). This was out my range at first but after the villain turned over AK, I guess it is possible.
      I agree that players will sometimes complete JJ-AA. I've seen them do it. I think maybe this is the exception though and not the rule. I wouldn't necessarily include it as a standard part of their range.

Let's consider some equities vs opponents value range with and without JJ+.

Firstly without JJ+ against a range of TT,33,22,A4s,64s,53s,A4o,64o,53o You have 20% equity.

Maybe he doesn't play 53/64/A4o pf, in which case your equity here is 8% vs villains range!

Ok now with all combos of JJ+. You are still an underdog with 40% equity. It basically means you can only ever call due to dead money - shoving doesn't make sense. Shoving for value won't be profitable unless your opponent also has a bunch of Tx and flush-draws and will have a worse hand >50% of the time when he calls.

If you think this guy has a whole bunch of worse Tx, flush-draws, straightdraws, etc, a shove is fine. The vast majority of opponents at these stakes will not 3bet their draws, Tx, on the turn like this though.

EDIT: forgot to include 55 btw, but it only hurts your equity.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      HE could have small pp. Many fishy player limps them in micros, especially in zoom-tables. He might had tried to go for ch/r on flop, but you checked-back so he decided to donk.