[Coaching] Sit and Go [Advanced] with akrammon

• akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Dear PokerStrategists,

welcome to the Sit and Go [Advanced] Coaching with akrammon! The right place to bring your game to the next level!

Coaching Info:
      • Name: Sit and Go [Advanced]
      • Time: Sunday, 15:00 GMT
      • Coaches: akrammon
      • Gametypes: Single Table Tournaments (aka STTs aka 1-table SnGs)

What can you learn?
      In this coaching akrammon will help you to improve your game by playing live, evaluating Hand Histories, giving general advice and answering questions.

Coaching types
      1. Live Coaching – In this format, I will be playing live and commenting my game, explaining my decisions in depth, and answering any questions that arise to the best of my knowledge. This format is action-packed, with a lot of excitement on up to four tables.

2. Hand History review – Every now and then you will have the chance to send me your own hand histories, which I will evaluate in a live coaching. I will be using different poker softwares to analyse the tough situations, I will highlight the good decisions, and I will point out the mistakes, which will all help you to improve your game greatly and efficiently – whether it is your Hand History, or someone else’s.

Be a part of the coaching!
      Active participation on the coachings is advised – asking questions, pointing out mistakes or different approaches to a certain scenario can be very helpful. Discussion is the key to improvement, and you can do the most for yourself if you ask the questions that come up!

You can have it your way!
      Didn’t like something? Would’ve liked something differently, or maybe you were really fond of an aspect of the coaching? Let me and the other users know in this thread – don’t forget, I’m here for you and not the other way around! For example, you can let me know whether you prefer a live play coaching or a hand history review; you can let me know if a different time would be better for you, etc., and I'll try forming the coaching to satisfy all your needs.

Follow this thread
      Any important news related to the coaching will be announced in this thread, so make sure you check it every now and then! I will be announcing the next formats in this thread, I will be asking for Hand Histories here, etc.

Coming up next
      -
  • 90 replies
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      reserved
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      An interesting hand in yesterday's coaching that I think is worth recording for anyone who missed the coaching. So, in the situation below, we are on the bubble of a 5max sit and go, with a payout structure of 70/30.

Ongame Network No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100.00/t200.00 Blinds - 3 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: t6590.00 32.95 BBs
      BB: t1810.00 9.05 BBs
      Hero (BTN): t1600.00 8 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is BTN with Q:spade: 9:diamond:
      Hero raises to t1580, 2 folds

Now, our Nash range here is: 25.5%, 22+ A2s+ A3o+ K9s+ KJo+ Q9s+ QJo J9s+ T9s 98s
      SB Nash call vs Hero: 11.6%, 44+ A8s+ A9o+ KQs
      BB Nash call vs Hero: 15.1%, 33+ A5s+ A8o+ KJs+ KQo

After setting up the SB and BB callranges against us in SnG Wizard and setting our edge to zero, the program suggests that we push close to 94% of our hands. Now SnG Wizard and the holdemresources Nash calculator can have slight differences because of the difference between their handranking system, but what we are facing here is nothing slight: Our Nash range suggests 25%, and SnG Wizard suggests 94%, with villains' callranges against Hero set for their Nash range.

Question: What is causing the difference?
      No, there is no flaw in SnG Wiz's algorithm, or at least that's not the reason. Give yourself some time and think about it. Answer behind the spoiler.

Answer: Because we have failed to set up the so called "Hero folds" scenarios: How wide SB pushes once we fold, and how wide BB calls against SB's push.

The Wiz defaults for these ranges are very far off from Nash, so let's set them up properly. We set up SB openpush to 100%, and BB call vs SB to 18.4% as it is suggested by the Nash calculations, and we also set BB's overcall against two allins to 5.9%.

And voilá, Wizard suggests 25.9%, which is similar to our Nash range (slightly different because of the handranking).

Now, let's play a bit around with this situation. In the actual hand, BB is a reg, let's assume he has solid callranges. However, SB is a fishy player. Not absolutely horrible, but fishy. Also, let's assume that both SB and BB calls against us the way they should call according to Nash, and we will only play with the ranges they have against each other.

Now, since SB is fishy, let's assume that he openpushes tighter than he should. Let's say he pushes 75%, which I'd say is realistic for a fishy player who realises his opportunity for a light shove here, but still folds the worst of his hands. Let's say BB adjusts, and therefore calls 10.9% (which should be his range vs a 75% SB push). So, the situation:

If Hero pushes (unchanged, they both play Nash)
      If Hero folds:
      -- SB openpush 75%
      ----BB call vs SB 10.9%

In this scenario, our pushrange is 68% (!!!). So, we have more than doubled our profitable pushes without touching what the opponents do against us. Bear in mind that what they do against each other matters an incredible amount! If they play according to Nash, they collide 18% of the times we fold, so almost every fifth fold from us will result in their collision, which is great for us. In the adjusted scenario, they collide roughly 8% of the times we fold!

Moral of the story: You have to analyze each push/fold situation in depth. It might mean that you need to spend an hour playing around in Wiz for 10-20 hands, but 20 hands analyzed thoroughly worth more than a thousand hands "analyzed" by a glance on the Nash charts. Play around in Wiz, see how you have to act if you face different scenarios and different opponents with one given stack setup!

Further scenarios for playing around with "Hero folds" ranges with unchanged "Hero push" ranges:

Scenario 1)
      SB is really fishy and only pushes 50% of his hands, BB adjusts properly and calls only 7.1% against SB. Hero's pushrange is 93%.
      Note: an addition of a small edge of 0.1 only tightens us up slightly, to 89%.

Scenario 2
      SB is a "decent fish" who knows he has to put pressure, but he still can't get himself to shove the bottom 10%, so he openpushes 90%. BB calls around 13%, which is about accurate.
      In this scenario, our pushrange is 48% with 0 edge.
      Note: With an edge of 0.1, it is 40%.
      So, as you can see, even a slight change in their behavior almost doubles our range. Bubble spots are very sensitive!

Scenario 3
      SB is a reg pushing 100%, but in this scenario, the BB is the fishy guy without understanding risk-aversion. Thus, he calls 30%.
      In this scenario, we can't push more than 16% of our hands even if our edge is set to 0.

Please be advised that I might've cheated a bit: for example, in the last scenario, if BB is fish enough to call 30% vs the SB, then he is going to be calling wider than Nash against us for sure, so in reality, the "Hero pushes" scenarios change with the "Hero folds" scenarios.

But the point here was not to get a precise range for this situation, but to show you how incredibly much the "Hero folds" scenarios matter, especially on the bubble, but even when it is not the bubble.

So, take your time analyzing hands. Your goal is not to falsely analyze a hundred hands in an hour, but to analyze them correctly. Play around with the ranges, get familiar with the mechanics of ICM. What I've shown you in this hand is just the tip of the iceberg - e.g. overcall ranges matter an incredible amount, especially on a fullring bubble where it can be much more complicated due to the more amount of people.

So, I hope it was useful, have fun playing with ICM!

akrammon
    • ViperPP
      ViperPP
      Silver
      Tnx for bringing this back on today's coaching.

This is the first time I've seen such huge differences depending on villain's ranges. However, it's also to be said that for BB (or for you, for that matter) it's extremely difficult to assess the fish's pushing range here. First of all, since he's a fish, we probably won't have a large sample on him. Secondly, even if you have a sample and stats, how do you know whether he'll shove 75% here or will shove 100% ? As you illustrate this difference nonetheless modifies our own shoving range from 68% to less than 20% ! The same goes for the BB, you also assume he will have the right calling range against the fish's pushing range, but the BB has the same problem as you: there's no way of knowing whether the fish is pushing 75% or 100% here.

I always have the hardest time guestimating villain ranges, but fortunately there's a feature in SNGWiz that alleviates this a lot: the graphing tool. I assume you're familiar with it. The advantage is that in a graph you can immediately see whether knowing villain's range accurately or not is even important. E.g. there are situations where you can shove ATC regardless of what villain is calling with, so in hands like that you don't even need to know what his calling range is. But more realistically, there are also a lot of hands in which a difference of 20% in calling range hardly makes a difference and this then reassures you that not accurately estimating a range isn't that important.

Of course, your example here is the exception to the rule...
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Hey Viper, nice to see you around:)

Yep, you are right: the graph tool is pretty useful in many scenarios, especially BvB. And yea, you are also right on the money that guessing these ranges is a pretty hard thing, but I'd say it comes with experience. Tho it's never easy, there was some discussion in the coaching how hard it is to actually notice if someone is on a tighter pushingrange, but there's just no way around: you have to make your best guess.

Generally, I'd suggest analysing 3-4 scenarios that you find likely, Worst-case, best-case, etc. If you push a hand and it's possible that it's slightly minus-ev in one of the scenarios but massively +ev in the others, then I'd go towards pushing if I had no further info on the players. But apart from this, you just have to pay attention to the players.

In this very situation, in my experience even fishes realize they have to be wide here, so I think a 75-80% range for him is realistic, sometimes a bit more. I'd say the reg is on the very careful side of calling his allin since he and I have such similar stacks.
      This very reg, I don't think he will do such a thing, but some better ones might even call you a lot wider than Nash if they realize that you have a 40-50% spot there. Which is a range I'd definitely push in this spot.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I'm still looking for HHs for review!

Any 1-table SnG will do, I think it's a pretty nice opportunity!
    • pArCh0n
      pArCh0n
      Platinum
      Where can I send you HHs. I play 6max 20$ and 30$ with prize structure of 50/30/20. I can also send you 18man or 9man 8$.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pArCh0n
      Where can I send you HHs. I play 6max 20$ and 30$ with prize structure of 50/30/20. I can also send you 18man or 9man 8$.
      hey, send them on skype :) my skype is akrammon
    • pArCh0n
      pArCh0n
      Platinum
      Awesome coaching with paid attention to every detail. Great job. :)
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pArCh0n
      Awesome coaching with paid attention to every detail. Great job. :)
      Thanks man, I'm glad you've liked it, hope it was useful :)

To everyone: Tomorrow I'll be substituting both TheNose and chenny, which means that there will be a live play STT coaching from both 16:30 GMT and 21:00 GMT :)

Seeyou all there,
      akrammon
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Nice coaching. Hopefully I didnt "spew" too many questions :f_grin:
    • Anto11
      Anto11
      Bronze
      Hello,

Great coaching :s_love: !

Best regards,
      Antoan :pokerface:
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Nice coaching. Hopefully I didnt "spew" too many questions :f_grin:
      Nah man, I actually wanted to thank you but you weren't on skype (or maybe I dont even have your skype? lol) :) Questions make it easier to talk about spots and you also reflected on the stuff that I didn't explain deep enough, so drop by next time and give me the same amount of questions :)
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by parodiq
      Hello,

Great coaching :s_love: !

Best regards,
      Antoan :pokerface:
      Thanks mate!
    • Ryusei
      Ryusei
      Bronze
      Nice coaching.
      I appreciate the explanations.
      Thx,
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ryusei
      Nice coaching.
      I appreciate the explanations.
      Thx,
      Appreciate the feedback :) Glad you liked the coaching!
    • jeppg1111
      jeppg1111
      Basic
      Very nice post OP
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jeppg1111
      Very nice post OP
      I'm glad you liked it :)

@ everyone else: today we're gonna conduct a thorough HH review for WhySoSeriouz!
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Have a great coaching session today... I can't attend :f_cry:
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Have a great coaching session today... I can't attend :f_cry:
      Sorry to hear :( You are one of the regs :(