[NL2-NL10] NL5SH JJ -OP OOP without initiative

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is an unknown

Preflop: Flat so as not to isolate myself against a stronger range and I was not sure whether I could play 3b/broke profitably against an unknown.

Flop: I think I have two options:
      1) DB/fold
      2) x/c and re-evaluate future streets

In hindsight I think that DB/fold is best option as his range can include a lot of draws that I don't want to see check behind. In addition, since I don't know the villain I can't be confident that he will bluff c-bet this board too often so x/c for bluff induce doesn't really make that much sense to me here. Also I miss some value from Tx, pairs > TP and some draws.

As played...

Turn: I figured villain will barrell this card fairly often, so continued to play x/c for bluff induce and planned to re-evaluate the river, planning to fold to any large bets or on scary rivers. Plus I'm getting 4:1 :D

River: River doesn't really complete any draws that I would expect to see in villains range here. I could make a small value bet here to try to get some thin value from some TX but then I would think this would look particularly strong and might be optimistic.

Thanks

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $5.19
      Hero (BB): $5.28
      UTG: $5.00
      MP: $13.76
      CO: $12.67
      BTN: $5.04

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has J:diamond: J:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.42, 2 players) T:heart: 2:heart: 4:spade:
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.92, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

River: ($1.52, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero checks, MP checks

Hero shows J:diamond: J:club: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 57%, Flop 70%, Turn 82%)
      MP mucks Q:club: A:heart: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 43%, Flop 30%, Turn 18%)
      Hero wins $1.46
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Muel,

First off I'd like to congratulate you on posting such a detailed description of your thought process and questions.

Now onto the hand.

Preflop: 3-bet vs MP could very well be turning your hand into a small bluff preflop so calling is fine.

Postflop: I don't like donk/folding (or donking period) without info on villain. A lot of regulars like to bluff raise donks especially from unknown players.

We also tend to isolate ourselves against the stronger part of his range so that's not great.

The draws you are trying to prevent him from checking back are almost always c-betting the flop. Why would you expect an unknown regular to check back let's say A5 or some heart draws? Furthermore why can we not expect him to cbet some air or backdoors?

The rest of the hand looks fine. I wouldn't donk river into him (we are bluffcatching after all).