[NL2-NL10] 3Betting AA at tight tables: $0.04 NL (FR) NLHE

• ellamcc
      ellamcc
      Bronze
      I'm completely new to this, posting as part of my Beginner's Course. As such I'm learning and trying to apply BBS to my .04 NL FR games.

I play on Revolution/Cake network. The micro-stake FR games are 90% regulars with stats like or even much more tight than the ones listed below. It's not at all uncommon to see single figure VPIP stats. It's also not uncommon to only see 5 FR tables running and the same people sitting at all of them.

My question is handling "Monster" hands pre-flop. I have trouble getting any action. In my time with PokerTracker, I've had 14 hands of AA hole cards. In exactly half of them I opened the pot with a standard 4xBB raise (and in every case but one, everyone folded to me.) Some had limpers and a couple already had a raise which I reraised in all cases, but started to fool with the amounts. Of the 14 hands, only two got to a river and two others ended at the flop. So 4 of 14 hands made it past the pre-flop bets. One of the river hands got there b/c I simply called behind someone who stole the initiative from me before I could CB... So while I "won" all 14 hands with AA, I didn't win much cash (mostly 4 or 6 cents): total of $6.71 in 14 hands. I'm sure I would've lost some if they'd gotten to actual play, but I'm unsure how to handle this situation in future. (Can't move to another network b/c of where I live.)

Showing 2 very similar hands, both end pre-flop, both of which I held AA in the SB and both played in late-night sessions within 2 days.

Situation 1: By the book:

Revolution Gaming Network - $0.04 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $5.71
      UTG: $2.55 / 64 BB VP 33 / PR 19 / 3B 0 / CB 100 / FCB 0 / 28 HANDS
      UTG+1: $4.11
      MP: $4.39
      MP+1: $7.48
      CO: $3.89
      BTN: $3.82
      Hero (SB): $7.38 / 185 BB Table stats: VP 15 / PR 6 / 3B 6 / CB - / FCB 100 / 52 HANDS

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has A:heart: A:spade:

UTG raises to $0.14, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.42 <-- 3x original raise.

fold, fold
      Hero wins $0.20

Second Night around:

This table with one or two players playing mildly loose feels "wild." And here I go with my BBS-ish raise:

Revolution Gaming Network - $0.04 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Seat 1: BB ($7.02/176BB) VP 32 / PR 12 / 3B 0 / CB 33 / FCB 50/41 HANDS TOTAL IN MY DBASE
      Seat 2: sitting out ($1.80 in chips)
      Seat 3: UTG ($1.83/ 46BB) - VP 26 / PR 11 / 3B 4 / CB 33 / FCB 67 / 70 HANDS TOTAL
      Seat 4: UTG+1 ($6.07/152BB) - VP 40/ PR 3 / 3B 0/ CB 100 / FCB 33 / 30 HANDS
      Seat 5: MP ($3.43/ 86BB) - VP12/ PR 7 /3B 6/ CB 100 / FCB 0 / 42 HANDS - Only info I have on him calling 3Bets is from blinds ranges with 54o and similar speculative cards.
      Seat 7: CO ($1.38/ 35BB) - VP 10/ PR 5 /3B 0/ CB - / FCB - / 21 HANDS
      Seat 8: sitting out ($1.80 in chips)
      Seat 9: BTN ($3.93 / 98 BB) - VP 25 / PR 14 / 3B 5 / CB 60 / FCB 50 / 146 HANDS - Seems on tilt to me at this moment, but I have little real info to say that with any authority.
      Seat 10: HERO in SB ($7.59/ 190 BB) - Table stats: VP 29 / PR 15 / 3B 5 / CB 100 (2/2) / FCB - / 41 HANDS AT TABLE

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has A:club: A:heart:

fold, fold, MP raises to $0.14, fold, [COLOR=blue]BTN calls $0.14.[/color]

So now two players are in - including my Tilty suspect and the original guy who raised but who is so tight, I figure maybe he has a good hand and will stay in.

So instead of doing exactly what my BBS tells me to do, which would be to raise to $0.56, I try to temper that a bit to make it more palatable for one of the two at least to come along with me.

Hero raises to $0.36

and after that, what do you suppose happens?

(my raise) then
      fold, fold, fold
      Hero wins $0.46

It's not the way I wanted it to go and makes me wonder about reraising v perhaps just calling in tight tables? Any ideas or pointers about anything - particularly about what I could add to my table stats to help me out here would be great.

Hope this is posted correctly and is OK to have two similar hands in one post - Thanks again, Ella
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Don't flat AA at these stakes unless you have a super good information that someone behind you is going to 3bet much.

Just 3bet for value even though the people are tight. If we don't want to 3bet for value with AA, them what are we 3betting with?
      Usually, what you can do is to start to 3bet them with a wider range since they tend to fold a lot and this way you will increase your NonSD winnings.

I'd say that your raise on the second hand is way too small too - just make it around $0.6.

Hope this is posted correctly and is OK to have two similar hands in one post - Thanks again, Ella
      Well, it's better to post just one hand in a single thread. :)

Best,
      Plamen