[NL20-NL50] NL50 KJo facing db

• double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $53.90 (107.8 bb)
      CO: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $60.70 (121.4 bb)
      SB: $20.25 (40.5 bb)
      BB: $65.53 (131.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.75) 6 2 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $2,

Villain 1.7k hands
      28/23/10.1%
      call BB vs steal 18%
      db flop 14% in 42
      fold to cbet 39%
      WTSD 29%
      Agg freq 49/34/22
      WWSF 51%

What type of range do you assign him and would you play back with this hand? With what hands would you do it?
  • 9 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I would consider your KJo pretty junky here so I'll muck it. Maybe I might bluff raise or float with some 2 broadways + overs, or gutshot type of hands.

So stuff like T9, KcQs. I'm calling Flop with draws (non combo draws), some Ace highs like AQ AK, and sets (which I would then raise the Turn.)

I don't think he is donking pure air that often. He has a flush draw or straight draw here most of the time IMO. as such I don't think you should attack him with such a wide range, and should be fairly selective.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi double2,

First off, the easy answer: No, we would not play back with a hand that has poor equity on this board. We have a ton of other hands that we can play back with if we wanted to from draws (fds, oesds, overpairs, even overs with backdoors).

Now given the fact that villain has not donked a lot so far I would tend to give him a range of made hands (pairs, possibly sets, 68) and even combo draws or strong draws. Bluffs/weak semi-bluffs are possible but I wouldn't assign a ton in his range without knowing more about him.

Of course a lot of other things can help us decide his range here:

1) what's our image? can he expect us to check back these flops often?
      2) what have we actually seen of him in the last 1700 hands, what has he donked before?
      3) what's our history, especially in these positions? What does he 3-bet? Can he call monsters preflop?

You can see that just based on stats we can't really give an accurate range, because we are just guessing based on some numbers (and btw 3-bet vs BTN from BB would help here as well).
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Hiey, I got 2 evaluations (by mistake I know :) ). Keep them coming guys.

Bogdan,

We have no history at all if you know what I mean, so I don't know him at all. But I will :evil:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by double2
      Hiey, I got 2 evaluations (by mistake I know :) ). Keep them coming guys.

Bogdan,

We have no history at all if you know what I mean, so I don't know him at all. But I will :evil:
      In that case play straight forward with your garbage hands (and KJo is garbage here despite two overs).

2 evaluations happen every now and then and sometimes we want to chime in when we have more to add or disagree with each other :0
    • Lunitis
      Lunitis
      Gold
      His fold to cbet its low.. I would give a look at fold vs cbet oop. I dont like to fold against donkbets very easily, im more aggressive than average in this spots, maybe i should refrain, but i see myself raising here very often and barreling after, unless i have some reads.
      Are you using fold donkbet vs raise? You might not have sample here anyway.
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Lunitis
      His fold to cbet its low.. I would give a look at fold vs cbet oop. I dont like to fold against donkbets very easily, im more aggressive than average in this spots, maybe i should refrain, but i see myself raising here very often and barreling after, unless i have some reads.
      Are you using fold donkbet vs raise? You might not have sample here anyway.
      Yeah, no sample, even fold to cbet oop I have no sample.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I would consider your KJo pretty junky here so I'll muck it. Maybe I might bluff raise or float with some 2 broadways + overs, or gutshot type of hands.

So stuff like T9, KcQs. I'm calling Flop with draws (non combo draws), some Ace highs like AQ AK, and sets (which I would then raise the Turn.)

I don't think he is donking pure air that often. He has a flush draw or straight draw here most of the time IMO. as such I don't think you should attack him with such a wide range, and should be fairly selective.
      Hey mbml can you elaborate on the bold part? I usually just raise and barrel off strong hands here. I think raising turn shows more strength.

-----------

As for the hand, I fold as well. I'm not fighting back too lightly vs donkbets nowadays, people don't db/f that often ime.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      bump :)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      you can mix between call raise and raise. good thing abt raising earlier is that its easier to play for stacks by river.

while call f raise t generally looks stronger i think it's fine esp if you balance with bluffs. for example, i would consider raising the turn with A2 - most hands have 6 outs, and we have blockers to bottom set.