[NL2-NL10] AQo tough call on river

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      I was literally 2 seconds away from running out of time and auto-folding, preflop he snap calls my 3-bet which from what I've seen usually doesn't signify much strength, because if you had something like AK/JJ+ I would suspect more thought would go into taking a course of action in this situation.

He leads into me quickly on flop with bet sizing which makes the chip stack look huge (intimidation).

What I found unusual was that he appeared to be representing an Ax hand on the flop and the shove on the river looks like flush/full house, but if he had a full house he has no reason to rush into me so aggressively, and he definitely isn't c-betting flop with any 5x hand. so it didn't really add up, and I called.

Also I hasten to add every time someone has shoved me on the river in very similar situations they've had absolute air.

Although I took his stack I think ideally I could have raised the flop before it became more difficult to play.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $6.49
      BTN: $11.84
      SB: $10.63
      Hero (BB): $10.00
      UTG: $9.85

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q:heart: A:diamond:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1, BTN calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.05) A:spade: K:club: 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.88, Hero calls $0.88

Turn: ($3.81) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.63, Hero calls $1.63

River: ($7.07) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $8.33 all in, Hero calls $6.49 all in

Final Pot: $20.05
      BTN shows 9:spade: J:spade: (a pair of Fives)
      Hero shows Q:heart: A:diamond: (two pair, Aces and Fives)
      Hero wins $19.15
      (Rake: $0.90)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Sketchzr,

Do we know anything about villain right here?

You are talking about him c-betting the flop but we are the PFR/aggressor in this case and we check the flop and turn and river so I would call there as well. Our range looks really weak for calling flop/turn and checking river on scare card as PFR.

My main question though, why are we ck/calling 3 streets here as the PFR? Why not cbet the flop? Do we have info on villain that tells us he will turn a lot of hands into bluffs here?
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi Sketchzr,

Do we know anything about villain right here?

You are talking about him c-betting the flop but we are the PFR/aggressor in this case and we check the flop and turn and river so I would call there as well. Our range looks really weak for calling flop/turn and checking river on scare card as PFR.

My main question though, why are we ck/calling 3 streets here as the PFR? Why not cbet the flop? Do we have info on villain that tells us he will turn a lot of hands into bluffs here?
      My bad c-bet isn't the correct term. I think in this situation I would usually go for a check raise as I don't always like betting into the flop OOP.

I was aware my line looked weak which was a factor in making my decision on the river, it seemed like he was pouncing on my weakness so to speak.

I'd 3-bet him a couple of times previously so we had some history and he seemed quite spewy at times even though overall I'd say he was passive.

Problem with posting my hands here is that my notes are on Pokerstars not HEM, so that's what I remember.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      You can always import your PokerStars notes into HEM.

I'm assuming HEM gives you stats at least which you can post.

Given your recent history and how we played the hand up to the river I wouldn't fold either.

But as PFR, just bet the flop for value and we aren't folding the hand. Or ck/raise to about 2.5x or so.