[NL2-NL10] 99 btn vs. CO

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      should I be raising on the flop for value vs low pairs/draws? Villain had a pretty random range so I put him on a draw/pair on the flop.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $10.10
      Hero (BTN): $13.42
      SB: $6.87
      BB: $7.97
      UTG: $9.85
      MP: $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 9:heart: 9:diamond:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 1 fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95) 5:club: 2:heart: 6:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds

Turn: ($1.95) T:diamond: (2 players)
      CO bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

River: ($4.75) 4:spade: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: $4.75
      CO shows 4:heart: 5:heart: (two pair, Fives and Fours)
      Hero mucks 9:heart: 9:diamond:
      CO wins $4.54
      (Rake: $0.21)
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Sketchzr,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: What do we know about villain?

I would not raise the flop here often with this hand because we isolate ourselves against a pretty strong range on average. Since he is PFR he can still have all overpairs/sets and may even fold weaker pairs like 77/88 to a raise or a follow-up on turn/river.

What was your plan if villain bet that river? Our call on the turn is villain dependent so I'd like to see what information you had (if any).
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Villain is stealing much more frequently from the CO so I would think he's playing a wider range.

He c-bets on the flop 60% of the time so I can presume he has something (overpair/midpair+), at the very least an OESD. I wouldn't have expected him to have anything like 45s, I had him more on either a low pair with an overcard Q+ (worst he could have)/78o/78s or the higher end of his range being a set.

My plan on the river is folding. 99 wouldn't seem strong enough to justify a call on the river considering it completes draws he may have had on the flop and I doubt he'd bet into me on all 3 streets with a low pair.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      If he does cbet 60% of a wide range that's still quite a few hands we are ahead off. And the T is an ok card to barrel on on this dry board so bluffcatching is fine. If villain isn't aggro on the river we can fold (if he were to bet again, especially if he bets like half pot where we can still valuebet sets/overpairs).

Do you really expect him to double barrel a 2nd pair type hand, especially for that much (3/4 pot)? I doubt it so his range is quite polarized. JJ+ or nothing/draw (maybe some Tx).
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Yeah it was pretty much a bluff catcher, I doubt he has any Tx hands he will c-bet the flop with especially 3-way.

And thanks (as always) for the quick and informative feedback :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sketchzr
      Yeah it was pretty much a bluff catcher, I doubt he has any Tx hands he will c-bet the flop with especially 3-way.

And thanks (as always) for the quick and informative feedback :)
      I would say that he does have Tx hands, at least suited Tx on the flop that can bet like AThh/ATcc and so on (pretty much Tx with two overcards/backdoor).

And you are very welcome. Glad to be able to help !