[NL20-NL50] Btn vs SB with AQs

• trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      20 hands on villain who is playing 34/24 - but not much info.

After he raises my Cbet what's my best play?

Thanks

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $35.79 (143.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $76.23 (304.9 bb)
      BB: $19.65 (78.6 bb)
      UTG: $20.95 (83.8 bb)
      MP: $60.62 (242.5 bb)
      CO: $17.92 (71.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.30, BB folds, BTN calls $1.55

Flop: ($4.85) 7 3 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, [color=red]BTN raises to $7.25
  • 6 replies
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Sorry, ignore this!!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey trickybob,

When villain raises this flop, he is not representing much. The best play with his entire value range is likely to flat on a 773 board unless he felt you were a weak player.

I think the best option is to flat call - you don't want to isolate yourself vs his value range by re-raising. It's true he could have some dominated flush draws but with the 143bb effective stack size I don't think trying to get the money in will be optimal.

The additional stack-depth gives you a little better implied odds and may allow you to call turn bet depending on his bet size. If you felt you didn't have a turn call due to implieds you could check-fold, or maybe check-jam if you felt he was full of it (stacks are just deep enough). His line looks bluffy, so maybe the turn will go check-check a decent amount.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Hi w34z3l,

I think you're spot on with this.

I actually jammed and almost instantly if felt like an error because of the stack sizes.

However, if the effective stack was only 100bb would jamming in that spot be optimal?

He snapped me and I felt pretty good when Td fell and river bricked. He had T7 suited!

Many thanks.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by trickybob
      However, if the effective stack was only 100bb would jamming in that spot be optimal?
      It would be less of a mistake 100bb deep. I would probably still flat though.

Given your aggression pf he's more than likely value raising the flop and I'm not sure if you actually have any fold equity.

Jamming flush-draws like this works way better when your expect your opponent to have a semi-bluff or bluff raising range because you can generate fold equity. On the rare occasion he is bluffing maybe he will even check back the turn rather than firing off his entire stack.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Abt the 100bb stack case:
      Isnt jamming here a very good option?

1.Becasue he can fold some PP's (55-TT, xcept for 77,33), and if he calls, we are still flipping.
      2.He will call our stackoff with dominated FD's (all suited conectors and 1-gappers in diamond).
      3.If he by any chance played AK this way (possibility given his laggy apearance), then he would allso do it with AQ,AJ,AT. (he's unfortunately folding all these to shove, but so should he AK)
      4. If he by any chance bluff raise flop with GS: 54/65 in other suit. I assume this is possible sometimes, based on his laggy appearance (all we can smart guess from given stats)

The cons are slowplayed AA, (KK, QQ)-quite likely, and (77, 33)-unlikely.

So we have some FE against low PP's + ~50% if called, ~85% vs FDs, beating GSs, AQ-AJ, and have good FE vs AK.
      We have 35-40% vs AA, KK, QQ, and ~0% vs 33, 77.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by tomzyb
      Abt the 100bb stack case:
      Isnt jamming here a very good option?
      It's not unreasonable. Let me address the points you made to explain why I'm not sure it's the best option.

1.Becasue he can fold some PP's (55-TT, xcept for 77,33), and if he calls, we are still flipping.
      It's true he might be raising PP's for value (not that I think it is a good play). If he does raise them for value I don't see him folding them. Obviously it's not a big deal if it happens, because as you say, we are flipping, but it's the fold equity we really want to make this spot profitable.

2.He will call our stackoff with dominated FD's (all suited conectors and 1-gappers in diamond).
      That's true. Tbh, I don't see him raising diamond draws on the flop here. Firstly hero is the aggressor preflop, and villain shouldn't necessarily expect to have any fold equity. I find it likely he'd flat draws.

The second reason is, on this board texture I don't feel good players should have much of a value raising range, and hence it doesn't make sense to have much of a bluff raising range. The fact that this guy is even raising on this texture suggests to me he might be a weak opponent. Weak opponents more often take passive lines with draws.

3.If he by any chance played AK this way (possibility given his laggy apearance), then he would allso do it with AQ,AJ,AT. (he's unfortunately folding all these to shove, but so should he AK)
      Seems unlikely tbh. If he is raising those hands there is no guarantee he will fold after he's committed so much of his stack. Again, not a huge disaster in terms of equity for us. But he is also going to have strong hands in his range like 7x and slowplayed QQ+.

4. If he by any chance bluff raise flop with GS: 54/65 in other suit. I assume this is possible sometimes, based on his laggy appearance (all we can smart guess from given stats)
      It seems unlikely he reaches the flop with these hands. The sample size of hands we have on this guy is way too small to assume he is doing things like this.

If what you said is true and our opponent has a decent sized raise/folding range, 3bet jam is clearly a good option. Obviously it's great if he raise/folds TT or draws.

I just don't feel opponent has much of a raise-folding raise due to the action, the flop texture, and my assumption that he is a weaker player. If he does raise a hand like TT he is stacking with it always in my opinion. If he was good enough to realise he might be behind a 3bet shove he'd be good enough to realise that raising flop doesn't make a lot of sense.