Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $21.95
      SB: $57.95
      Hero (BB): $25.90
      UTG: $24.55
      MP: $27.05
      CO: $31.85

Pre-Flop: A:club: K:spade: dealt to Hero (BB)
      3 folds, BTN raises to $1.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $4, BTN raises to $6.50, Hero calls $2.50

Flop: ($13.10) 9:spade: 3:club: 5:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $15.45 and is All-In, Hero ??

What is the standard play for AK, should I push AK preflop?
  • 8 replies
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Calling here is so ugly PF as your OOP on flop. In button vs blind I'll shove my AK here as 5bet vs a non 100bb player who makes a weak 4bet.

Stats on button would be helpfull also ;)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      i think his preflop line looks like QQ+. a huge 6x raise, then a min4bet.
      am i wrong?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If you're going to re-raise with AK, then make it 5$. Against 4-bet you have two decisions: shove or fold. If you put him on AA or KK, then fold, if you believe that he can do that with weaker hands like AK, JJ+ then shove.
      Don't just call 4-bet you miss too often to put yourself on difficult decisions postflop.
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      Oh that miniraise to 6.5$ smells like a bullet gunpowder! I wouldn't even think of 2.5-betting on BB with AKo. If I did, I wouldn't think about calling flop, it's so obvious preflop you were behind or it was even money, you missed the flop, it's easy fold, I wouldn't even call small re-reraise with AKo, either shove hoping for QQ or fold, but consider folding more likely. If you have no reads on him You are about 1/3 to win such situations in long run, some % for tie and all rest you loose.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      considering the pot odds the minraise gives you, against which range(KK+, QQ+, QQ+ and AK, JJ+ and AK) would it be ok to just call, hoping for an ace on the flop, and fold flop if there is no ace (fold even if there is a king, as opponent could have AA or KK)

I'm asking this because I don't want to push with AK even if I give the opponent JJ+ and AK, but I don't want to fold with those pot odds.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      considering the pot odds the minraise gives you, against which range(KK+, QQ+, QQ+ and AK, JJ+ and AK) would it be ok to just call, hoping for an ace on the flop, and fold flop if there is no ace (fold even if there is a king, as opponent could have AA or KK)

I'm asking this because I don't want to push with AK even if I give the opponent JJ+ and AK, but I don't want to fold with those pot odds.
      You have to put villain on hand range and according to that. If villain only 4-bets KK+, then it is fold, since you don't hit your ace often enough.
      If villain 4-bets with QQ+, It is close, but I would probably still shove- but if villain 4-bets with QQ+, then he would also 4-bet with AK. You want to see all 5 cards with AK.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      is a shove with AK vs QQ+ and AK only +EV if you have some fold equity?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If BU 4-bets with QQ+, AK he would call your shove, since he is getting good enough odds. But still it is +EV move, since there is enough dead money already in the pot.