[NL2-NL10] JJ OOP vs reg

• yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      No hud. Player is a reg and usually doesn't overplay his hands. He likes to cbet but after that he plays quite straight forward.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($10)
      BB ($16.92)
      UTG ($13.23)
      UTG+1 ($3.96)
      CO ($27.91)
      BTN ($4.81)

Dealt to Hero J:club: J:heart:

UTG raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.25, fold

FLOP ($0.70) Q:diamond: 2:club: 8:heart:

Hero checks, UTG bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

TURN ($1.50) Q:diamond: 2:club: 8:heart: 9:club:

Hero checks, UTG bets $1, Hero calls $1

RIVER ($3.50) Q:diamond: 2:club: 8:heart: 9:club: J:diamond:

Hero checks, UTG checks

UTG shows 9:spade: 9:diamond:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 8.4%, Turn 86.4%)

Hero shows J:club: J:heart:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 91.6%, Turn 13.6%)

Hero wins $3.27

I don't like to 3b JJ OOP since it's hard to play it. Instead I call dry flops and evaluate on turns. I don't like c/r in this spot because I get called by only better hands right?

When he barrels turn it tells me that he's got some draw or some Qx. I have blocker J so he doesn't have many draws with J in it. Before calling turn my plan was to call blank rivers but to fold to A, K, T, 7, is that ok?

Should we fold this river if he bets $2,80? What about if he goes for thin value with $1,60?
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey yaxkukmian,

You are correct that this would be a poor spot to 3bet preflop.

Flop float OOP is ok, but your plan should really be to give up on most turns. There are not a huge amount of draws in villains range compared to value hands when he barrels, and there is a decent chance he may not even be barreling draws.

Your opponent would need to be very aggressive for you to want to call down 3 streets in this spot. Fold turn is my recommendation.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I seem to pay out too many people with "calling turn and reevaluating river". Will have your advice in mind next time.

The was this hand played out you would fold every river bet?

Tnx.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      I seem to pay out too many people with "calling turn and reevaluating river". Will have your advice in mind next time.

The was this hand played out you would fold every river bet?
      As played I would strongly consider still folding. I don't think you should assume villain is barelling turn or river light unless you know he's very aggressive.

So much of his value range hates that river and is unlikely to bet. QQ,22,88,99, AQ, KK, AA, QK, all might likely check instead of betting the river.

The small amount of the time he was bluffing it's not impossible for him to have something like A:cT or K:cT or T:cJ that got there on turn/river. He'd have to be bluffing with something very specific like A:cK for you to be good, and it just is not going to happen that often.