[NL2-NL10] KJs against midstack

• yaxkukmian
      no hud, CO is straight forward player, BB a bit tight player.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($10)
      BB ($4.20)
      UTG ($22.07)
      UTG+1 ($14.45)
      CO ($10.15)
      BTN ($7.60)

Dealt to Hero K:spade: J:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, Hero calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.90) 9:club: Q:spade: 3:spade:

Hero bets $0.55, BB calls $0.55, CO folds

TURN ($2) 9:club: Q:spade: 3:spade: 3:diamond:

Hero bets $0.80, BB calls $0.80

RIVER ($3.60) 9:club: Q:spade: 3:spade: 3:diamond: 5:club:

Hero checks, BB checks

BB shows 9:heart: A:club:
      (Pre 55%, Flop 38.6%, Turn 61.4%)

Hero shows K:spade: J:spade:
      (Pre 45%, Flop 61.4%, Turn 38.6%)

BB wins $3.36

I'm donking on flop with intention of building the pot in case I hit my hand. My plan was donk flop, donk turn and vbet if I hit on river. I was ready to donk/fold and not go broke.

I bet small on the turn to give myself nice price but still build the pot if I hit anything. I'm not sure if it is good bet because I give him nice price for his weak hands to call. If I check he might bet bigger and I have to fold then. When he calls for the second time he might have KT, JT, 9x, Qx (weak Q which he can't raise with) and some random FD which I dominate.

Can I represent strong Q with shoving on the river?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      Hey yaxkukmian,

How come you don't have a HUD?

Your flop donk bet is fine, you have a ton of equity and presumably some fold equity.

On the turn, the 3 is not a good card to barrel. It makes 33 less likely in your range, and also does not really change the board. If your opponent thought his hand was good on the flop, he probably still thinks it is on the turn.

That doesn't necessarily mean barrelling will not be profitable, but you bet an amount that prices in your opponents flop-calling range. This guy is a short stack, possibly a recreational player - perhaps not folding too much. "Building the pot" is not really a relevant concept in this situation where your opponent likely has you beat and is possibly not folding.

Betting the turn can never be terrible with the amount of equity you have, but the way you play your draws against recreational players with a tendency to call too much is to play them passively. Hope to hit, and then get the money in.