CO: $25.90
      BTN: $25.89
      SB: $22.10
      Hero (BB): $57.86
      UTG: $12.24
      MP: $25.00

SB posts SB $0.10, Hero posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has 2:club: J:club:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.75, fold, Hero raises to $2.50, BTN calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.10, 2 players) 5:diamond: 3:heart: J:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($5.10, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      Hero bets $3.30, BTN calls $3.30

River: ($11.70, 2 players) 2:heart:
      Hero bets $9.10, BTN calls $9.10

Hero shows 2:club: J:club: (Full House, Twos full of Jacks) (Pre 32%, Flop 87%, Turn 95%)
      BTN mucks 8:spade: 8:heart: (Two Pair, Eights and Twos) (Pre 68%, Flop 13%, Turn 5%)
      Hero wins $28.55
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think preflop J2s is kind of too weak. You can use it from time to time if you get enough respect since you were tight until then but otherwise its 2 makes it a really really bad hand.

Given preflop call, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on postflop.

Not cbetting seems OK, since once he calls he is either crushing you on that board or you are ahead somewhat but overall not great vs his range. Checking and bluffcatching 1-2 streets, usually 1 seems fine.

Turn you have the nuts so betting is fine. I believe he would often bet the flop without a hand so he is likely to have some QJs, JTs, TT type hand in my opinion, maybe AQdd type hand.

River makes you the mega nuts. He has showdown value usually, almost never air. I prefer betting about 7.50 here. It can still be a bluff and gives good odds for Jx, TT to call. I don't think your opponent has a strong enough hand here to call 9 on a regular basis, unless you have some info he checks back stronger hands on flop or flushdraws (so he could have a rivered flush).

After spoiler: Once he calls so weak vs your bet, it's clear he think you rep nothing so your sizing is fine, could maybe go 9.50-10 (basically just under pot size) since he perceives you to be very polarized and air weighted.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      When he called preflop, I thought, well that's it I'm dead. This session I was 27% 3/11 3bet v his BUT opens, so I think he was starting to do something about it.

On the flop, I thought my TP was still pretty bad. I thought his calling ranges was mostly broadways, mid pairs and maybe a few suited connectors. Definately strong, but opened up a little.

Something like: JJ-77,AQs-ATs,K9s+,QTs+,J9s+,T9s,98s,87s,AQo-ATo,KTo+,QJo

So yeah, I thought I was either crushed or ahead by not a whole lot and I certainly didn't want to go for 3 streets or really even 2. So I decided to check/call at least one street. Maybe another if the board didn't really change. Also something I forgot to mention, he bets flop in position after checked to, rarely at 20%. Probably less in a 3bet pot?

Then yeah the turn is straightforward I think. On the river I just thought I'd bet a size that can get value from the top of his range. Also yeah my image was pretty trashed and him putting me on that hand wouldn't be easy lol. I think he would have expected me to barrel FD's.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      He probably thought your most likely hand is busted diamonds and clicked call hoping for the best.

Busted diamonds for you make SOME sense but it's a bit of a mistake to not consider some of your value range given your aggression. You can play tricky with flushdraws sometimes or with sets. After he checks flop, you know you can vbet quite thin too so AJ is easy vbet.

When he checks IP after checked to, it's nice for your hand imo since you pot control OOP which is hard to do against better players. They realize you don't check a strong range and barrel off a reasonable range. Clearly not the case here so pot controlling OOP by checking still works most of the time.

River makes sense, I just don't know how strong the top of his value range is, you know? TT, QJ is prob top of it. So making it too big might scare him off if he just sees big bet? We dk how he reads hands so river is definitely up for debate. I definitely think bet big > bet small so I wouldn't bet <2/3 here probably.