$0.81
      BU:
      $2.00
      SB:
      $1.46
      BB:
      $2.14

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.51) T, J, 6 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.51) J (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14.

River: ($0.79) Q (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.44, MP2 calls $0.44.

Final Pot: $1.67.

Results follow:

Hero shows a straight, ace high(Ac Kh).
      MP2 shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Ad Qd).

Hero wins with a straight, ace high(Ac Kh).

villain is unknown.
      I'm always really unsure how to play this kind of hands.
      What would be your advice?
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Aye,

Preflop: Considering villain does not have a full stack there's a chance he is recreational so 3-betting for value preflop is fine.

Postflop: As played, what do you expect an unknown, possibly recreational player to call preflop with?

As played, what was your reasoning for not c-betting and then calling the small turn bet (and then betting about 1/2 on river)?

As a side note, in case you haven't had a chance to do this before, once you reply to my questions and would like me to look at them again please hit the "Advise judge to take another look" button.
    • ayeqcrima
      ayeqcrima
      Bronze
      I thought the flop could hit his range pretty good. Like 3bet calling TT, JJ, AKs, AQs, AJs. So I didn't Cbet because I thought I wouldnt get him to fold a lot of hands that he calls the 3bet with.

At the turn i was really unsure how to interpret his really small bet. It looked weak to me and I still had overcards and gutshot(i guess thats not even enough equity to call the small bet, but dont know)

He checked the river so i figured i was right that his turn bet was probably weak and made a bit smaller bet to get him to call with a bad hand.

edit: btw thx for quick response. i'm going out for sports and will read later.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      A lot of players call to set mine in spots in like this so you can still get them to fold quite a few pairs. Plus there's a chance they fold their equity with AQ/AK hands so without info we can still cbet about 1/2.

We have some equity in the pot and if he is indeed fishy enough to call with weak draws we get value from AQ (and the better draw KQ/fds).

His turn bet polarizes his range to either Jx+ and trying to induce or a weaker hand like AQ/AK/PPs below T. Now if he bets pairs that's not great for us but we have some equity left.

On the river, his hand is either a random AQ, possibly some Jx like KJ/AJ or a weaker pair. So we have to decide which range do we want to get called by.

Most small pairs are now 4th pair so they may not even call a bet so I would target AQ/Jx so I would bet larger
    • ayeqcrima
      ayeqcrima
      Bronze
      thx. you are awesome bogdan :D