[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] bluff c-r, drawy board

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $5.15 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 4.0, Hands: 20943
      BB: $5.14 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 7.0, Hands: 79 -- CC: 4, FSteal: 92, WTSD: 0
      CO: $8.23 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 13, AF: 2.4, Hands: 135
      BTN: $16.36 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 1.3, Hands: 81

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with T :spade: A :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.17, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.34) 8 :spade: 5 :club: 9 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.25, Hero raises to $0.65, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.64) Q :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BB folds

Hi folks,

I have some backdoors here and two overs. The guy is tight-ish, he only steals loose, but doesn't call much.

The board is dangerous, but I expect him to have medium aces and pockets more often than suited connectors. I check to take a free card, and when he bets, I decide that It's a good spot for a bluff c-r, given his AF.

When he calls, it's kinda nasty, but I reckon he might not fold his middle pockets on the flop. So I carry on a scare turn.

Does my line make sense here? So I basically didn't plan to check-raise, it just happened that I decided not to fold to his bet.

TY
  • 6 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

This is definitely a better spot to ck/raise as a bluff given our hand (equity in the pot if called) and possible aggro villain.

Keep in mind that when you play in aggro games (or rather when you will play in aggro games), especially bvb, people will ship lighter over the top (or 3-bet) and this is a hand that we can't really continue with vs such an action.

However at these limits people call a lot more and play fit/fold.

As played the turn is a good card to bet on again for obvious reasons.

I do recommend raising slightly larger on the flop and betting slightly more on the turn.

Of course the standard line here should be to bet and barrel many turn, possible river, cards.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      You should have you plan before events happen, preferably all the way to the river. I would fold to him this guys fold to steal 92% of the time, sure he is bit scared with his starting hands but once he has them he wants to play and he has a ton of overpairs and possibly sets here.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

It's good to have you judging this hand, because we talked about bluff check-raising a lot in previous ones :)

Regarding sizing: I see your turn point, we should make it like at least 2/3 if we represent a flush. What about flop though? I often make flop raises to 1/2 of the new pot, is it too little for a bluff as well? Like 2/3 would do as well?

Regarding the default line: It seemed like a fairly bad board for a CB to me. I mean, it would be worse if the 5 was a T, but still it's pretty connected and two-tone.

Is contibetting here that great, and checking is not good? I will never get below my 87% flop CB value if I keep contibetting such boards as well.

Or this is okay because of his tight CC range? (not that many drawing hands)

TY
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      You should have you plan before events happen, preferably all the way to the river. I would fold to him this guys fold to steal 92% of the time, sure he is bit scared with his starting hands but once he has them he wants to play and he has a ton of overpairs and possibly sets here.
      Hm, I think that a ton of overpairs is just TT & JJ. If I steal his blinds any time I have a chance, I'm pretty sure he will raise me with QQ. He might also have some aces like AJ+ and KQ.

He won't have sets every time here, and it seems like we can take the pot down. If he doesn't give up -- we are beat most of the time (but still have outs).

PS: when a guy folds 92% of the time to your steal, you don't bother too much with thinking about "what if he calls" :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Hi Bogdan,

It's good to have you judging this hand, because we talked about bluff check-raising a lot in previous ones :)

Regarding sizing: I see your turn point, we should make it like at least 2/3 if we represent a flush. What about flop though? I often make flop raises to 1/2 of the new pot, is it too little for a bluff as well? Like 2/3 would do as well?

Regarding the default line: It seemed like a fairly bad board for a CB to me. I mean, it would be worse if the 5 was a T, but still it's pretty connected and two-tone.

Is contibetting here that great, and checking is not good? I will never get below my 87% flop CB value if I keep contibetting such boards as well.

Or this is okay because of his tight CC range? (not that many drawing hands)

TY
      How much would you raise for value on such a wet flop OOP. It would be bigger I'd imagine.

As far as the turn goes you don't want to represent just the flush but rather sets/2p as well. So $1 could be a bet that we make with all of our value range.

The board is not the greatest to cbet but we always have to look at our hand as well as villain.

If we have KdTh I agree that ck/folding is best. But with our hand we have two overs, backdoor flush, backdoor straight and lots of cards to barrel on.

You start dropping your cbet by not betting boards where we have little FE and little equity.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Good point. Trying to understand board textures better, I somehow forgot the fact that we need little FE when we have some equity ourselves.

TY