SnG Blog - Stars Knockouts -

• vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I've been thinking about starting a blog ever since the year started. Each time I've started writing, I stopped and delete everything because the intro wasn't good enough. I'm not procrastinating anymore. To hell with a perfect intro.

My name is Mark, I'm 20 years old and I'm studying Economics and Business Economics, second year atm. I'll be playing 9 mans turbo KO's. I do not have a lot of experience in these games, but from what I've heard/saw myself, they're incredibly soft. I might change games later, perhaps to 6max turbo's or 9 man turbo's, but for now I'll stick with the KO's.

Part of most blogs, I have decided to set some goals aswell. I'll set a new short-term goal each month, and try to keep on schedule for my long term goals.

Short term goals

January:

[x] Get silver status on Stars
      [x] Play 500 games+
      [x] Atleast 1 sweat session/week

February:
      - Maintain silver status
      - 1000 games+
      - Move up to the 3.50's
      - Clear 2 stellar bonus rewards

Long term goals (2013)
      - Reach and maintain gold status on Stars
      - Be able to withdraw 100$/month, and keep my BR growing.
      - Reach the $15 buyins, regardless of the game I'm playing at that time.

I believe my goals are not that unrealistic, though they will take some effort on my part. I've never been a huge grinder (or winner, for that matter). If at some point I have to adjust my goals, I'll update it here.

Starting stats
      BR: $213.36
      Vip Status: Chromestar
      VPP's: 275.11

Here's my graph of the KO's so far. Started of with a huge heater, so that was kinda nice.

As you can see, I have no sample at all. I hope to change this ASAP.

I'll update tommorow, after I've played some games. Goodnight!
  • 31 replies
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      Yeah your sample is really small but kos are beatable. Gl

Do you like poker tracker? Any issues of been slow or anything problems at all?
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      Yeah your sample is really small but kos are beatable. Gl

Do you like poker tracker? Any issues of been slow or anything problems at all?
      Thanks. I like PT4, but there have been some problems. For some reason, PT4 didn´t track all my games in the results. The tournaments were being processed, but did not show on my graphs etc. I had to purge the missing tournaments, and re-import them manually.

I´ve created a new database, which, so far, has helped. All games are being tracked, and PT4 is faster.

On topic, I'm going to the gym, get some groceries and then start some tables.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section vetani and good luck with your goals!
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      BR: $222.43
      VPP's: 295.86

Didn´t play that much, uni starts at 0900 tommorow morning so I´m not going to play anymore tonight. Had an okay session, made a couple of mistakes that I´ll review tommorow.

The games still appear super soft, though I've encountered a couple of regs who seemed decent.

Also sweated someone who was playing the 15´s KO, so my sweat goal for the week is completed haha

Graph:

• Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Looking nice Vetani,

I have never done that well on KO tourneys as I am a bit nitty and find I lose value in not knocking many people out.

Lets see how you get on, I am on 6max Turbos but always looking at adding ideas so will be interesting reading your blog.
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Looking nice Vetani,

I have never done that well on KO tourneys as I am a bit nitty and find I lose value in not knocking many people out.

Lets see how you get on, I am on 6max Turbos but always looking at adding ideas so will be interesting reading your blog.
      Thanks Gentari. Just skimmed through your blog, will read it somewhere tommorow. I hope I´m able to deal with the inevitable downswings that are coming up.

Pretty happy with my play today, made some bad decisions, especially at my last ~6 games. I think it was mostly me getting tired, so I'll try to take more breaks tommorow.

BR: $235.37
      VPP's: 326.57

Graph so far:

Still running pretty good :)
    • pauln
      pauln
      Bronze
      nice blog, will definitely be following for sure.

I'm playing 9/10 man regular speed SNGs but i'm about to switch to KOs on stars.

Let me know if you want to chat/review hands/do sweats on skype.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      they are definatly pretty soft untill a point :p. They can be pretty high varience though so hope you don't tilt fast :p. If you want to do a sweat session some time I am happy to do one some time ^^. I am mostly playing the normal speed $ 15 SnG's and also a bit of turbo's $ 7 but I know a bit about KO stt's too although they are not my regular game :) .
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pauln
      nice blog, will definitely be following for sure.

I'm playing 9/10 man regular speed SNGs but i'm about to switch to KOs on stars.

Let me know if you want to chat/review hands/do sweats on skype.
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      they are definatly pretty soft untill a point :p. They can be pretty high varience though so hope you don't tilt fast :p. If you want to do a sweat session some time I am happy to do one some time ^^. I am mostly playing the normal speed $ 15 SnG's and also a bit of turbo's $ 7 but I know a bit about KO stt's too although they are not my regular game :) .
      Thank you both for the offer. I'm part of a sng skype group which is semi-active, if you want in just PM me. We could use some more active members haha.

I currently have 156 BI's for the 1,50's or 67 BI's for the 3,5's. I think I'll take a 10 BI shot at the 3,50's tonight. If I lose everything, I'm still comfortably rolled for the 1,50's. Even though my sample at the 1,50's is not at all significant, I don't want to waste time on a lower stake with higher rake%. I also the level of play is not that different on the 3,50's.

Any thoughts on shooting at a higher limit? And does anyone have experience with the 3,50s KO on Stars?

Thanks!
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      yeah, $ 3.5 aren't that much harder imo and 67 bi's for the $ 3.5 is more then enough to move up to them :) .

If you are uncomfortable in moving up you can always mix in some higher games in your session and see how you feel about them.
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Didn´t really get any games in so far this weekend. Spend Friday night with some friends, and started a session like 1h ago. Stopped regging after 10 minutes, my game feels waaay off tonight. I missread my hand, missclicked my mouse, all kinds of shit.

Did try out 4 tables of 3.5´s KO yesterday, level of play isn´t that better. Less crazy aggro fish though. So I feel like I can beat the 3,50´s atm, but I have decided to stay at the 1.50 till my BR hits $300. Nitty BRM ftw. +$1.10 at the 3,50's so far.

Despite playing like a total moran, I ended up +1 BI today :D I also bought some action from a friend, for a whopping $11.

BR: $227.28 + $11 in action
      VPP's: 338.98

Graph (1,50's + 3,50's)

• vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Small mid-day update:

Games are still going pretty good, lost some HU's I feel like I should've won though. Got it in as a favorite most of the time in those HU's, so it's std. If anyone has some recommandations on how to improve your HU game (<30 bb) I would very much appreciate it.

Having dinner at my gf's tonight. Will play some more when I get home. At the rate I'm going, I'm never making those 500 games haha. Silverstar is still realistic tho.

BR: $239.36 + $11 in action
      VPP's: 353.09

• belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      I think the best way to improve your heads up play is to watch some hyper hus videos. Gl with your goals
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      I feel like now is a good time to post an update:) Reached Silverstar today! Another goal down haha. I'll post a January recap once the month is over.

Some small updates:

- No profit from the little action I bought
      - Transferred $10 to Full Tilt Poker, to get the $10 reward.
      - Still horribad at HU, improving though
      - Joined Gentari's SnG Skype group

I'll have to get 50 Full tilt points to withdraw the bonus 10$, I'll be playing some SnG's there when I don't really feel like playing a long session on Stars. Not used at all to the software on FT, it'll take some getting used to haha

My BR is steadily growing, had a pretty long break-even strech but it seems I'm heading the right way again.

BR: $249.82+$10 sent to Full Tilt
      Vip Status: Silverstar
      VPP's: 500.8

Oh and ehm, anyone knows how accurate that Adjusted graph is in PT4 for KO's? Apparently I should be down 60$ X(
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Started today thinking about taking a shot at the 3.50´s. Decided to mix a session 50/50, ran horrible from the start. Played 3 3.50's before deciding to stay with the 1,50's, runbad continued throughout the day. Down somewhere between 10 and 15 BI's.

After finishing my session I played some Rush Poker on FT to clear the bonus, ended up running pretty hot there so after clearing the bonus and sending 20$ back to Stars, I still have ~10$ left on FT.

My BR hasn't really suffered from the downswing so far, due to the free $$ Full Tilt gave me :)

Even though this downswing is not extreme or anything, it did help me realise the importance of BRM for me. Being a BR nit helps me stay focused and calm. I'm going to keep a tight 100BI rule, so I hopefully never have to worry about swings. I'll move up to the 3,50's once my BR hits 350$, and move back down after losing 25 BI's.

I also feel like I'm not spending enough time studying the game. I'm defininatly gonna try and change this for next month. I want to spend my time 30/70 studying/playing, for now. If I feel like I'm playing bad, I'll up the study %.

BR: $261.83
      Vip Status: Silverstar
      VPP's: 535.31

Wondering, how do you guys study? I find it pretty hard to study my own game by myself.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Hey man, Just found your blog.

I'm going to keep this short because I'm 4-tabling and it's definitely minus EV to reply to forum threads while grinding, but keep up the good work!

I'm actually hovering around the same bankroll as you (a little less money in the game but I grew out of being a bankroll nit once I got more comfortable with the game.)

haha make that 3-tabling my AA just got busted by KQo.

It looks like you're pretty fresh to the grinding scene, I can't say I'm much more seasoned, but I'd to pass... wow KK loses to TT just getting slaughtered tonight. ... Don't let a 20 BI down-swing hit you. I know it's hard to just switch it off if it does happen but it is definitely the nature of the beast. I just challenged myself to massive volume (for a fish like me) of 11k hands in a week and got smacked with -30 BI swing in 70 tournaments, and I'm pretty sure I'm a winning player at the 2.25 limits on FT :D

The main thing that's helping me through is reviewing my major losing hands. If I was obviously sucked out on and deserved a win I chalk it up to variance, if I don't know if my call was good I either plug it into a nash calculator or post it on the forums. Antoan is a boss, he won't steer you wrong.

lol 88 < J5 I should just give-up.

Anyways, I'm adding you as a friend via the community tool. Feel free to drop me a message if you want to discuss bad beats :f_biggrin:

G.
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Hey Jimanyjerk, thanks for the advice :) Too bad it costed you your tables haha

You're right about me being new to the grinding scene, this month's silver status is also my first silver status ever haha. I find it hard to put in massive volume, definitely need to work on that, though at the moment I'm more concerned about my level of play. Quality > quantity

I'm reviewing yesterdays biggest losses atm, so far mostly coinflips, in pretty std situations (bvb, <10 bb). Couple of suckouts, but also some bad play by me. I'll try to find a hand to post on the forums :) Also, I'm going to have a sweat session tonight so hopefully that'll plug some leaks.

Those bad beats don't really bother me that much, they're part of the game and there's nothing you can do about them. <<< working on really feeling like that haha
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Haha yeah that was definitely a bad idea last night.

Anyways, the main point I was trying to get across is: if you are already putting in low volume, do your very best not to let a little down-swing (<30bb) prevent you from playing. If you're only managing 10K hands in a month then you could spend most of that month in a downward trend. If you're doing 500 tournaments in a month you'll probably be fine though. That's going to end up being more volume than I put in this December :D Though I'm attempting to make up for a lack-lustre month after a little "don't be a little wimp" self-pep-talk.

Anyways, Good luck at the tables and I hope the sweat goes well!

G.
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      I won't let a little downswing prevent me from playing haha. I'm almost at 400 KO games since January 14th, before that I was playing some 9man turbo regular SnG's. February will be my first full month playing these games, hope to play atleast 750 games.

And thank you! I'm off to play now, probably best if I close this blog seeing what happened to you :P