[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] TPWK + GS vs turn raise

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $5.20 - VPIP: 39, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 2.0, Hands: 59
      BB: $5.15 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 64 -- CC: 36, FSteal: 60
      UTG: $8.16 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 0.7, Hands: 178
      CO: $9.27 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 12, 3B: 3, AF: 2.8, Hands: 176
      Hero (BTN): $5.09 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 4.0, Hands: 20943

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with 8 :club: A :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, 1 fold, BB calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26) 9 :diamond: A :diamond: T :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.66) Q :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB raises to $1.35, Hero folds

He has a lot of 2P type of hands in his range, so we just cannot continue.

Now I'm thinking...probably I should have just checked back such an ugly board with our bluff-catcher. On the other hand, I would miss value from his draws.

What would be the best turn line overall? (if we try to be not result-oriented)
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey German,

As played it should be an easy fold.

Considering what we know about villain so far I don't mind betting that flop but there's little value in a turn bet. All Ax are better than ours and he shouldn't have too many draws. And even the ones he has have decent equity (KQ/QJ).

So check back turn and fold river to any action.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      True, thanks Bogdan. His draws most likely have a pair as well, and even his FDs should be pretty strong.

Basically, the reason for a check is that our hand wants to play in a small pot, and not inflate it, right?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      True, thanks Bogdan. His draws most likely have a pair as well, and even his FDs should be pretty strong.

Basically, the reason for a check is that our hand wants to play in a small pot, and not inflate it, right?
      The reason for a check is that we have no reason to bet :)

Does that make sense?

No value, can't bluff, can't really take down the pot.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yeah, it does :f_biggrin:

I think the concept of "protection" is kinda screwed up and only confusing. It's just a value bet, where the weaker is draws.

The reason why it's confusing, is because of situations like this one. Apparently, there are plenty of draws, and we have a TP. But in reality, even against this draws we don't have too much equity for a profitable value bet, especially considering the variety of stronger made hands. The concept of protection does not really explain why we should not protect our TP here.

Is it better to think in terms of "weaker calls, stronger folds" than broad terms like "protection", what do you think?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Protection should never ever be a "solo" reason for betting. You can't really protect a hand that's mostly behind (equity wise).

I gave you the 3 reasons for betting above. Protection is a by product of one of the reasons (mainly value).

The fact that many draws are possible has to also factor in the villain we play (given the limited info). He cannot actually have that many draws. You can start listing them but you will see that it's not many, and as we said already they have decent equity.

So draws have decent equity and made hands crush us. Not a great spot to be in.